10K Training Group, 8K's are welcome too

New training method for 10k? (Read 621 times)

I spent some time on the "Time to Run" site yesterday, reading the forum threads about 10k training. A guy from, I think, South Africa seems to offer coaching services to runners, and advocates a training system I thought interesting. Starts with a timed 4k to establish a baseline. From this he tells the individual how fast to run a series of 5x2k with 90 seconds rest intervals as speed work. The rest of the week is conventional, short recovery run, longer easy runs and one long run. Alternating weeks seems to be 6x1k intervals with 75 seconds rest, again the coach tells them what times to run. The runner gives feedback in terms of times, feel, starting average and highest heartrate, and sometimes other info. Seems quite a tightly structured method, and lots of feedback about your progress from the intervals. Any comments?

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Marquess of Utopia

Here's a link: http://www.time-to-run.com/training/10k/sub31.htm I like the 21 day training cycle. I've tried a few of the workouts in the sub 35 program; they are solid... But I've had better luck improving my 10k times with tempo/threshold and progression runs.
        Thanks, Riggs. I like the fact that you can see your progress each week, but I suppose that is most useful to new runners who are making measurable progress weekly!

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.