10K Training Group, 8K's are welcome too

Progress updates and other comments-questions (Read 445 times)

The forum seems rather dead, but I've noticed that most are keeping up with their logs. I thought it might be good to have a catch-all thread, just in case someone wants to comment on something, give a progress update, or throw out a question for the group that doesn't fall under with of the other category headings. I'm just getting over the marathon and haven't a workout since October. Just running some low-key races and putting in some miles between them. Expect to start more structured training soon.
    Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
      double post; is it possible to delete this?
      Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
        hi jim, you can't delete posts at the moment - just modify them just off out to do the second of my 1mile rep sessions.
          so my one mile reps went very well indeed. i did them on the track but had to run in lane 3 again so they are actually 1656m reps. times were 7.41 7.41 7.42 7.40 7.36. equivalents for the mile would be 7.28 7.28 7.29 7.27 7.23. i had 2 min walking rests between them. 5 weeks to go to the 10k now Smile

Dog-Love

That looks great. ..and consistent. Actually faster at the end! I am going to work on 1600 m repeats on the treadmill becasue we have too much snow!
            Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
              Nice workout Mandy, I like that you are keeping them pretty even rather than working into a whirlwind finish. The way you are doing them is a great way to give you a good sense of pace. If I were to change anything it would be to jog the recovery interval rather than walk...oh alright, I much prefer the jog over the walk even if you need to run the faster segment a little slower. Either way, I'm sure it is going help you a lot. Hi Crabby, I love that handle! I wish I had thought of it first. Let us know how the dreadmill workout goes. It's been blowing and raining all day here, so I took an uncharacteristic day off. Tomorrow will be a club race at 4.76 miles, or a solo 14 miler.
                thanks jim, i much prefer static or walk recoveries. each to their own i guess. keeping the intervals even is working well. the last one was quicker as i fancied a fast 200m blast. i ran the last 200m at 6.59 pace. far too fast for me to keep up much longer than that but good fun anyway.
                  Nice even pacing Mandy! I may be slightly behind you in terms of my training,still in the base-building stage, and a bit slower, but similar goals, that is I'd like to get my 10k down to about 48 mins this year, and my half to about 1:50. I will watch your progress with interest, hope you keep posting! Nothing in my log for 2008 so far, I have been sidelined by a bad cold which started late December. Only ran 12 times in December, unfortunately, though I did 148kms, getting in most of my long runs. I hope to make up for lost time over the next couple of weeks and be better prepared for the spring racing season this year. Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

good luck with those goals simon, and hope you feel better soon. 1.50 half is what i was aiming for last year - i managed 1.50.08 in appalling conditions so i counted it as a moral victory! this year i'll be trying for 1.45 hopefully. do you have any target races lined up yet?

Marquess of Utopia

Three weeks until my next race. (Just a 5K) I felt too sick to do my mile repeats on Thursday, I think I ate something bad. I bumped up my mileage by 5 miles this week. I only intended on a two mile increase, but I'll try to stay around 44 - 45 for the next two weeks. On the third week I'll back down to 38 - 40 miles. Schedule of Races in my area: Amana Freezer 5K Run - 1/26 Red Flannel Run 5M Run - 2/16 Friendly Sons of St. Patrick 10k - 3/30
                        I am running a half marathon in late April, reputed to be the hilliest course in Ontario, so not expecting much of a time there. It is a small event of about 350 runners, but not a weak field, some quality there. Following that is the Sporting Life 10k in June, which is downhill all the way, down Yonge Street in Toronto, so a really fast course. (Yonge ST., by the way, is the longest street in the world, goes about 1100 miles, from Toronto to Rainy River in Manitoba.) This was my first race ever when I did it last year hoping for 56 mins and ran 51:50. It is probably 3-4 minutes faster than average, so a chance to get a "cheater" pb under 48 minutes! Later I may run the Mississauga half, and either Scotiabank or the Toronto half in the fall. These are all large events of 5,000-10,000 runners, I have not made decisions that far ahead. Got out Saturday for an easy 10k, 58:43, cool but no snow. Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

jtv

Jim, Glad to find you here. Congrats on a great year. I have decided that this year I am going to focus on breaking 40. I haven't made a serious attempt in years. Now all I have to do is find a race. There aren't many 10K's in my area anymore. I will probably shoot for one in May. I am also getting over my 2 marathons last fall. I spent all of Dec just running a few days a week, whenever I felt like it. I am now ready to start "training" again. Hello to everyone else!
                            Jim, Glad to find you here. Congrats on a great year. I have decided that this year I am going to focus on breaking 40. I haven't made a serious attempt in years. Now all I have to do is find a race. There aren't many 10K's in my area anymore. I will probably shoot for one in May. I am also getting over my 2 marathons last fall. I spent all of Dec just running a few days a week, whenever I felt like it. I am now ready to start "training" again. Hello to everyone else!
                            Hi Jeff, This could be THE year for you! You had been in a gradual but very steady improving trend the last I remembered. This is a good group where everyone seems pretty committed. There's a goal thread going here in case you hadn't noticed. A good spot for that sub 40? Great to see that you found your way over here
                              another good rep session today - same as the last one but with shorter (90 sec) rests times for 1656m were 7.41 7.41 7.41 7.39 7.33. equivalents for the mile would be 7.28 7.28 7.28 7.26 7.20. firmly in the range i was after Smile think i might try to add a 6th one next time.

Marquess of Utopia

another good rep session today - same as the last one but with shorter (90 sec) rests times for 1656m were 7.41 7.41 7.41 7.39 7.33. equivalents for the mile would be 7.28 7.28 7.28 7.26 7.20. firmly in the range i was after Smile think i might try to add a 6th one next time.
                                Nice! Have you joined the VR group? http://www.runningahead.com/groups/virtual/ I'm trying to get people to post their Mile VR's, it would be cool if you posted 7:20 for your mile time. Everyone else is welcome to join, run a mile and post your time. I'm thinking about running a 10K VR near the end of the month if the weather is nice.