10K Training Group, 8K's are welcome too

I won (Read 560 times)

Hannibal Granite

I ran in and won a 10K Race today, hence the thread title and posting in this forum Smile . I'll be the first to admit that it was a rather uncompetitive field (~60 people total and my winning time was only 36:54), but it was my first overall win in about 2 years so I'll take it regardless of the time. I knew about 1/4 mile into the race I was going to win if I didn't get hurt so it basically turned into a hard tempo effort for me vs. a real 'race' effort. I was shooting for 36:30 or better, but even though I wanted to run faster I was very plased with the effort for a couple reason 1. I ran fairly even splits on a hilly course (6:03, 6:00, 6:04, 5:51, 6:06, 5:50, :57) with no one to pace off of 2. I came close to my goal time for the race on a hilly course with no competition (the next runner was about a minute behind me) 3. I felt I could've held the pace I was running for at least a couple more miles if I had needed to, which is a good sign for my next race (the KY Derby Festival 1/2 Marathon at the end of April, which is also on a hilly course)

"You NEED to do this" - Shara

A Saucy Wench

Awesome!

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Marquess of Utopia

Nice race! A win is a win as long as it isn't a little kids fun run. Wink

Dog-Love

Hey...I don't mind passing thte 5 year olds! Nice race...you should be proud!
          Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
          Hannibal Granite

Nice race! A win is a win as long as it isn't a little kids fun run. Wink
            Winning a little kids fun run could be the highlight of the week/month/year....if you're a kid Smile In the race I ran there were a few high school kids, but other than that just regular running folks

"You NEED to do this" - Shara

Way to go John. Great pacing too, btw. To run so strong during the 2nd half of the race had to leave a good taste in your mouth. This adds some real status to our thread!
              Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
                Envious congratulations! Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.