10K Training Group, 8K's are welcome too

Keeping track of my training (was Just found this group) (Read 448 times)

redleaf

Monday hockey -we won 3-0 but I don't think we played as well as we did last week when we lost 4-0. Oh well. We did win - maybe I was just cranky 'cause it was 10pm after all!

Today we did our standard 6k with the clinic. 42 minutes and change doing 10:1s. So a little over 7 min/km. For me this is fast but I am slowly getting used to it. Still sort of panting at the end though. And it's supposed to be "steady pace".

Tomorrow is our first hill training too!

Simon - Danes are great big dogs and need their exercise but aside from that they're actually great apartment dogs. They're very calm and affectionate and just happy to lay about. I did contact another rescue group and they said they will adopt to building dwellers so long as the landlord allows it. Well we own so we don't have a landlord so I sent a copy of our by-laws and we'll see what they say.

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

redleaf

A little under 5 k with three hill repeats about three-quarters of the way through. I can tell I'm getting a bit stronger, the third repeat was tough but I was recovering faster than I thought I would.

now I have to figure out the elevation etc of the hill...

MTA (oops was a little OVER 5k not a little under)    

HF #4362

Good job on the hills, my son has found that his stamina has improved greatly through pounding up and down hills.

It has reached the point where he just doesn't pay them any attention and his pace is almost no different. 7kms easy pace for me.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

redleaf

Thanks Simon - others have said that hill training has really helped them as well. I was just happy to have yesterday off! Unfortunately life has intervened today as well so I won't be running tonight after work as hoped. I might bump up tomorrow's distance a little to offset that.

Then our first 10k clinic run on Sunday. My friend and a couple of others are a little nervous about actually lasting the whole 10. I tried to tell them if I could run a half then we can run 10 together. I'll keep them a little slower than they want to start out I'm sure but we'll get it done Smile

HF #4362

redleaf

Well, the weekend kinda blew up on me. I was supposed to do 6k on Friday (and some core exercises), 5k on Saturday (and maybe go swimming). Well, my MIL came through town so we went out for supper on Friday, and my parents are out of town so I was at their house the rest of the time and I spent all of Saturday painting the trim and stuff for them. Sigh. no running at all!

Sunday was good though 10km LSD and then a two hour yoga workshop doing work on hips. I'm a little sore today and surely gonna feel it when I take to the ice at 10pm!

This week's schedule:

Monday:    hockey

Tuesday:    6k clinic run; I also have a PT appointment in the afternoon for my shoulder!

Wednes:    Clinc hill training; and an RMT appointment at 9 pm

Thurs:        More painting for mom and dad

Friday:        Donating blood in the am, yoga at lunch and 5k after work - hmmm maybe switch the 5k to Thursday

Saturday:   6k run; and either swimming or yoga

Sunday:      10k clinic run

HF #4362

I am still not back on a regular schedule, and missed my long run on Sunday- a good friend who has cancer came over and we sat and talked for 5 hours. I don't know how many more times we will be able to do that, so got to enjoy the opportunity when it presents itself, he is often in chemo, or sleeping as he recovers from chemo.

I did get out for a slow 10k on Saturday, but only 3 runs for the week.

I am going to have to see the dentist for some major work soon, and will have to take a few days off afterwards, so I suppose it will be the new year before I make solid progress.

redleaf

Wow Simon, I am sorry to read your news. I can't imagine how you feel - I've been exceptionally fortunate to not have lost anyone close to me since I was fairly young (in early high school). Glad you had some time together and hope you get some more soon!

And I cannot stand the dentist. Those appointments always freak me out. Hope it goes well and you recover fully and completely.

I know it can be disappointing to not get out there as much as you'd like to but you did have that great race recently and maybe you just need a longer recovery than you expected?

HF #4362

redleaf

Monday's game was a bit hard - made a great save but wrenched my shoulder in the process. Sigh. We still won though Smile

I'm just cutting and pasting my note from today's run. Elizabeth is my running partner and the person who got me to sign up for the clinic.

Smile Elizabeth is not well (that's not what the smiley face is for) so I didn't bother going to the clinic tonight. I figured I could do the 6k on my own (and the ability to write that sentence pretty much got me out the door). Then I had to make sure I pushed myself so that was the deal I made. First 3k at a decent pace. I wanted to feel like the second 3k would be hard. 10:1s. I wasn't going to look but at the first beep (so 10 minutes) I couldn't help myself. 1.69km!!!!! 3k in 18:44. At which point I said, hell I could run two more minutes....5k in 32:30 and 6k in 40 minutes and 10 seconds. Sore shoulder and all. Now I just need Elizabeth to get over her cold!

HF #4362

redleaf

Today was more hills. We did the same route as last week just 5 hill repeats instead of 6. Apparently we did it at the exact same pace as last week. Weird.

Then I went to the RMT tonight who says I was reacting much more when he work on my rombus (?sp) so I'll mention that at physio tomorrow.

I was going to try and get up in the am to run because of how busy Friday is but I know that's not likely to happen so I'll just be careful and go slow on Friday (donating blood in the am).

Still no goal race so I don't know what to do!

HF #4362

redleaf

Thursday was my planned day off.

Friday I donated blood and while I was fully prepared for a very slow 5k that evening I was not prepared for feeling tired on the walk home! So Friday and Saturday ended up being days off too. Sigh.

10k today though at only a minute slower over all (roughly) than last weeks although I felt very very sluggish my running partner made sure I didn't falter. Smile

I am adding a second night of hockey this week (shhh don't tell the PT who is still worried about my shoulder following last week's save)

Planning the Week ahead:

Monday: 8 pm hockey

Tues: 8k clinic (tempo pace)

Wed am: trying to do 6 hills alone

Wed pm: 8:45 pm hockey

Thursday: rest (? or 5/6k maybe?)

Friday: 5 or 6k

Saturday: 6k

Sunday: 11k

whew. Completely ignoring the possibilty of core exercises 'cause apparently I forget to actually do them anyway

Oh and in other news - we had our home visit today from a couple of volunteers, and their dog, from the Great Dane rescue. It went well I think.

HF #4362

Hope it goes well with the dog!

I ran about 17kms last night, easy pace, nice cool weather, surprised how tired I was at the end.

Bowling tonight, then a shorter run on Tuesday.

Good luck with your shoulder.

redleaf

Thanks Simon - we just found out we get to adopt her in January Smile

Ran 8k yesterday. Tried to do the usual tuesday temp pace but apparently 4 days after giving blood is not sufficient time to push a little harder. Still not bad 7:30 min/km which for me is pretty good (about my 10 miler race pace; the zoo was at a 7:17 pace)

Outdoor hockey starts tonight so I miss out on the hills training. I am going to try and get up in the am to do it or maybe after work tomorrow. My brother, SIL and niece are in town so if we plan on doing something tomorrow night I'll be up bright and early!

HF #4362

redleaf

Oops - I slacked off in here a little.

Friday night I managed to get my 6 hills in in the middle of an 8k run. Felt eery satisfied when it was done. Nice to know I can do that sort of thing on my own is all.

11k group run this morning. Which for Elizabeth and I means everyone else is long done by the time we finish but considering there were three large flights of stairs! in today's run a little over 8 min/km is just fine with me.

I'll have to go dig up the schedule to find out what's up this week...

How are you doing Simon? Did you race today (I think DaddyO is running Chilly Willy...)

HF #4362

redleaf

This is a lower week for me.

Monday - didn't play hockey, went to the leaf's game

Tuesday - 6k tempo run - kept it to about 7 min/km which, considering I am "crampy" and felt like being sick I figure is pretty good.

Wed - no hockey tonight either - I have a family thing to help with

Thursday - evening class so I'll try to get out for 5 - 6k in the morning!

Friday - baking all night for my mom's christmas party on Saturday so again I'll try and get in 5 - 6k in the morning.

Saturday - busy all day so this will be another rest day!

Sunday - 13k clinic LSD run.

HF #4362

redleaf

Looks like I might be ending 2009 a little early. I slipped yesterday and really hurt my foot. I went to the emergency this morning and came home with crutches. Not likely broken but only sprained/strained. SIgh.

HF #4362