10K Training Group, 8K's are welcome too

Doing squats, best way? (Read 295 times)

Is it better to do one-leg squats with a small dip, or a two-leg squat but deeper. My guess is that a deep squat puts more strain/wear on the knees and has a range of motion beyond what is needed in running. Might be good for biking,though? Anyone know? Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

You'll get different opinions on this, but I don't believe that weights are necessary , or maybe even desirable, for devleoping leg muscles on runners. Hills are better, imo, and more natural. Hamstring curls for those who have had problems in that area might be an exception, although I've never done them. I don't want to come off as a braggart but I think that my legs are well developed and they have never touched a weight. A lady just commented on them last week while I was running on the track and it made me feel good. Legs in profile were 61.5 years when picture was taken. One of the first running books I ever read was by the great Arthur Lydiard, and he made it a point that runners run hills rather than use weights.
      Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
        Actually, Jim, I was just using my own body weight for resistance, my legs must be weak. I agree with the hill suggestion, but am looking for ways to protect my Achilles, shins etc. by finding substitutes for some of the running. (Though 4 years younger than you I may not be as durable!) Simon.

Hey Simon, One thing I remembered after making my comment was that I read a while ago that Paula Radcliffe does squats. Considering that she's the greatest women's marathoner of all time...maybe there's a place for them. Yes P.S. I don't know how well I'd be running now if I hadn't backed off periodically over the years. It probablly helped. I only started back training seriously again about 3 years ago after only jogging a few miles a week through most of my 50's. There was a fair amount of frustration and doubt, though, during that first year back. Finally this year things got a lot better...it's never too late, even at our age. Good luck to you
          Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
            Actually, Jim, I was just using my own body weight for resistance, my legs must be weak. I agree with the hill suggestion, but am looking for ways to protect my Achilles, shins etc. by finding substitutes for some of the running. (Though 4 years younger than you I may not be as durable!) Simon.
            Have you tried the elliptical? I know of some runners who have gotten some good results from it. One guy in particuar used it while recovering from stress fractures. He'd so some long workouts on it too. Each time he back back running very strong. I figure that if you can do it with a stress fracture it must be pretty forgiving. I've never worked out on one, but hopped on a display model for a few minutes while shopping at Costco last week. After shopping around for a while longer I kept thinking about it and went back for another try. I liked it. Some people don't care for them but I'm actually thinking about getting one if I can figure out a good place to put it. What was your training like before you ran that half in October? What kind of mileage? For someone who didn't start until 55, that was pretty decent. If you can find a way to handle the training you could improve quite a bit over the next few years.
              I have one very dodgy knee (reconstructed ACL and missing large chunks of cartilage) yet I do regular squats and find them helpful. Although full squats do go beyond the running range of motion they have the advantage of working lots of different muscles. In particular the bottom part of the movement is excellent for working the glutes and back. I don't find they cause any difficulties for my knees - but make sure you are doing them with good form - and carefully. bodyweight only is definitely the way to start but consider putting something like a broom handle across your shoulders where the bar would go as this helps you keep your back straight and not round your shoulders forward. it also means that you have to squat correctly or you'll topple over!
                Thanks for the suggestions. I have been using a stair rail for balance, and i do notice stiffness in the quads and glutes next day. I will try the broom handle idea. I do not have gym access but have a consumer grade (cheapie) elliptical machine and bike; I prefer the bike. Before my half I had been doing 100 miles per month in September and October, August was hot and I only did 50 miles. July was 80 miles. In September I had also done some swimming and hills, and once took a rowboat out on a lake for an hour, I count everything! I am expecting to improve this year, and realise I need to run more to do so. simon.