10K Training Group, 8K's are welcome too

Dam to Dam (Read 447 times)

Marquess of Utopia

So my back to back 10K was awesome! (20K) The first 10K was 38:24 then the final split was 38:10 = 1:16:34 Race Results It wasn't a perfect day to set any records with the heat and humidity. Everything was perfect on the race; I was well hydrated, I was in high spirits, it was nice to run with so many people I know. There was one point in the race about mile five I started to space out and loose focus, and a friend of mine ran right pass me. When I looked up and saw him I told myself just to pace with him, it wasn't long and I found extra reserves. This was the first time I ran a negative split for the second half of this course because the the hills and the inexperience, it's a tough balance because you want to take advantage of the down hill on the second mile but you don't want to go out too fast. Additionally you want to save some strength for the mile long hill starting on mile 7. I think my new Garmin / heart rate monitor really helped, I knew if I was to slow or too fast in between each mile marker. I occasionally checked my heart rate, but I really didn't change my pace based and the pulse but I did find out my heart has a few more BPM than I thought. Last Tuesday's tempo run I sprinted as hard as I could up the last hill and maxed out at 197 so I really thought it couldn't go much higher, but in the last half mile of the race the monitor started beeping it just motived me to push harder plus I knew I was right on PR pace. After I got out of the race shoot I looked at my watch 204. This was such a good day to think at a year ago I couldn't run a 10K at that pace. I'm really looking forward to my upcoming 10Ks I will be shooting for 35:45 - 36:15 range, but first I need some well earned rest.

A Saucy Wench

Fantastic! Big grin

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Great racing Joe. I love those 10k splits...a real sign that you have made great strides in improving your endurance. Looks like those steady miles month after month are working their magic.
        Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33

Marquess of Utopia

Thanks for all of your advice Jim, I have been consistant with my long runs running and I know that has helped a lot. My next 10K in less than 2 weeks Shocked