10K Training Group, 8K's are welcome too

Keeping track of my training (was Just found this group) (Read 448 times)

redleaf

I've done two 10ks this year. One in May at 1:15:45 and then one last weekend (Oct 17) at 1:12:41 on a much tougher course (very hilly compared to slight gentle mostly downward course). Not particularly speedy I know but faster than sitting on the couch I say!

I've signed up with a friend for a LRS's 10k clinic. It goes for 10 weeks with a goal race at the end. I'm not sure I want to do the race they are aiming for but we'll see.

My goal for the end of the clinic would be to get to sub 1:05 (on a flatter course!) I haven't been all that consistent in my running lately so that's the first step I think.

- if I'm new to you, I've only been running for a year. I'm down about 25-30 pounds with about 35 or so more to go Smile

MTA: I changed the title basically so I could babble about what I was doing with the clinic and people could be free to read or not as they choose. PLUS this way you can all add your own! The "my" can be yours too....

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

Great job, redleaf!  Keep up the good work.  I did a 10 K in May, but thinkk I will put off the next one until '10.  I have three 5Ks lined up between now and the day after Thanksgiving  Hey, Bravo on the weight loss!
      redleaf

Thanks very much Audrey.

I'm now two weeks into the 10K clinic my friend and I signed up for. I'm definitely the slow poke of the bunch but my friend stays with me and yesterday night during our group run another of the guys hung back with us as well.

I find with the clinic runs it's hard to know exactly what we're doing - we run right downtown and with all the buildings and stop lights it's hard (a) for the garmin to work properly and (b) to get the timing right. Oh well. It has been fun so far actually even though we're running faster than we do on our own - I can't wait until Sunday's LSD!

HF #4362

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Nice to see you over here! Smile

You know I just hit my person best in my third 10K with sub 1:09 so I'm with you in wanting to actually go under 65 minutes! I probably won't do another 10 until after NY. Just not a lot of 10s here in the middle of Canadian prairie winter.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

redleaf

Well today will be Clinic Day 3. Clinic days are mostly 6 km (up to 8km in the last few weeks).

Tuesdays are Clinic Days. We have a little talk first then go out as a group on a run. I am always at the back Smile And I wear this bright chartreuse shell (it's a green by the way, not a pink not sure why people always think pink...) so the group leader loves it 'cause she knows where the back is.

Wednesdays are another group run day - 6 p.m. Right now Tuesdays and Wednesdays are "steady runs" - meant to be slower than race pace. I guess what I ordinarily think of as "tempo pace". It's really hard to figure it out exactly though as we are running in downtown Toronto and it is (a) not always possible with the buildings to get an accurate garmin read and (b) to remember to start and stop the damn watch at every street light. Right now I am logging them literally as "clinic runs" so I remember that distance and time are really estimates. I'm actually thinking tonight I'll take DH's timex and just worry about the time and go with the route distance/map they give. Eventually though Wednesdays will become Hills (week 5 I think)

Sundays are LSD day - there is a group run at 8:30 am but my partner and I don't think we'll be at too many of those. She is definitely not an early riser. These start at 6km go to 8k for a couple of weeks, then 10 then 11.

We are also supposed to throw in another short run - we've planned that for Fridays but I've missed both so far  I swear I'll do it this week though!

Next week we add another short run - so we move up to 5 days a week. I have hockey on Monday nights so my week is gonna be:

Monday: hockey

Tuesday: clinic run

Wednesday: group run

Thursday: rest

Friday: run with friends

Saturday: run with friends

Sunday: LSD

Hope everyone is doing well!

HF #4362

redleaf

Tuesday's run was pretty good actually. Very fast for me (7:06 min/km or something silly like that - which is faster than my race pace from my last 10k!!) Today is a group run but come hell or high water I am slowing down. Two days of running after a night of hockey (the first in a while) is gonna be rough I think. I may be having my epson salts bath tonight.

HF #4362

redleaf

Well, I probably should go have that bath now! Same route as yesterday but about 2 minutes slower so I am pleased.

Next on schedule is a 3k on Friday and 8 on Sunday. I will be out of town so hopefully the hotel has a treadmill Smile

HF #4362

redleaf

Did my 3km on Friday in the hotel treadmill but with all the walking and the late night on Saturday I didn't manage the 8k on Sunday.

So - do I write it off as lost? Or do I add more kms to the other runs this week to make up for it? Or shuffle the week? What would you do?

The schedule for the rest of the week

Monday night: hockey

Tuesday: 6k tempo run

Wednesday: 6k run

Thursday: rest

Friday : 3k run

Saturday: 3k run

Sunday: 8k run

Monday and Tuesday are really the only ones set in stone.

HF #4362

I never try to make up lost workouts, just keep moving ahead.

Since you are doing some kind of activity 6 days a week I would not worry about it.

It could make sense to give yourself a rest day before the long run, but try to go a little further on the long run.

Hockey night might be tough, though!

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

redleaf

I never try to make up lost workouts, just keep moving ahead.

Since you are doing some kind of activity 6 days a week I would not worry about it.

It could make sense to give yourself a rest day before the long run, but try to go a little further on the long run.

Hockey night might be tough, though!

Thanks Simon - The numbers are all given to me by the clinic but I think I'll turn the 6 on Wednesday to 8 or 9 and one of the 3s (Friday likely) to a 6.

Hockey so far has been okay. But Wednesdays runs have gotten slower Smile

HF #4362

redleaf

Well, Lost on Monday (4-0) but made a lot of nice saves too!

Tuesday did 6k tempo run (for me ) actually clocked in under 7 min/km which I've only ever done once before - my 5k PR!

Today I did 8k a little slower and I'm a good kind of tired.

Definitely looking forward to resting tomorrow!

HF #4362

redleaf

Spent a couple of hours after work at a walk in clinic to get a doc to look at my foot. Very itchy and red so my worry was some variation of athlete's foot but the doc says no. Gave a broad spectrum cream and we'll see what happens.

Anyway, I doubled up what should have been 3k yesterday and 3k today and ran 6k Smile Legs were a little heavy but it was nice. I don't think I am the type of person who benefits from clinics...well, yes and no. I like that the clinic pushes me to run a bit faster at least once a week but I much prefer just going when I feel like going and for as long/as far as that day feels good. Ah well. I love the people I've met and I'm glad I'm supporting my friend and who knows, by the time it's done maybe I'll like it more?

HF #4362

redleaf

8k today. Got some disappointing news late last night (DH and I applied to adopt a rescue great dane and apparently they (this particular organization) just don't let people in condos to adopt -- wish they had said that somewhere on the website so I wouldn't have gotten all excited etc.) and really didn't want to do much but mope today.

DH made me promise to go out though and so I did. 8k on a new route for me. East from home and then along a path that follows a small river and a large highway on the east side of town. It's path - river - highway so you're not actually that close to the cars. Kinda nice and I'll do it again.

Didn't make me feel any better though - especially when I ran into a lady walking her Dane at about the 6k mark. Stopped and chatted a bit. Got kisses and the Dane lean from the dog. Sigh...

Made 28k for the week. Higher than I've managed lately. Another reason I love RA - it was easy for me to go back and check weekly distances. Did 28k back in September - 11 minutes slower then too! I'd love to get back up to the 40k a week I managed at the end of June/beginning of July.

Oh and I am now officially in search of a 10k goal race. The weekend we were to do the race with the clinic I'm now out of town!

HF #4362

redleaf

This week the clinic adds hill training! Just a little nervous...

Here's my upcoming week:

Monday:            10pm hockey

Tuesday:          6km clinic run (and hopefully some core exercises when I get home after)

Wednesday:    2.5km plus hills with clinic

Thursday:         rest!

Friday:               6km and core exercises

Saturday:          5km and maybe swimming?

Sunday:            10km clinic run and yoga workshop (focusing on hips oddly enough)

HF #4362

Sounds like a good week.

A great dane is a big dog to have in a high rise, though of course not all condos are high rise.

Keep up the good work!

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.