10K Training Group, 8K's are welcome too

10K Goals! (Read 1510 times)

Just finished a 10k today in 54:22. My goal of this year is PR below 50 minutes, say by October or so.

Future running partner.

Congrats! I'd say sub 50 is definitely attainable for you.
        Good tip on pinching the rim, I will try that in my next race. I slow down quite a bit trying to drink some water in my last 10K race.
        I think after new years I'm going to focus on diet agian and see if I can drop another 10 lbs. This may get me to 40min. As far as you drinking on the run goes. It may be beneficial for you to practice. I did this during my marathon. I found that pinching the rim of the cups together helps keep it from spilling as much and it allows it to poor slower into your mouth. I was able to do this without slowing my pace at all. If its warm enough during your 10ks this spring you'll need to drink.

Marquess of Utopia

I know this Training group hasn't seen many visitors for a while. It is neat to look back and see what I posted about about 17 months ago:
          Goal for next 10K: To run faster than my last 10k. (sub 39:31) 10K Goal for 2008: Run a 37 min 10K Someday: WinkRun a sub 35 min 10K
          Last June I ran a 36:33 10K... Last weekend I was going to run my 3rd marathon, but it was canceled so I jumped into a 10K because I thought I was in good enough shape to run a sub 36... I surprised myself by by almost breaking my "someday" goal (35:03). I'll have to set the bar a little higher. If I ever break 33 I will know that I am in the best shape of my life. My 5K PR in college is 15:48; but I wasn't in good enough shape to run a comparable 10K time.

Future running partner.

That's pretty amazing! I'd say you are on your way to being a higher level of runner (Low 30's 10k).

Marquess of Utopia

That's pretty amazing! I'd say you are on your way to being a higher level of runner (Low 30's 10k).
              I just peaked at you log... Do you have any 10Ks comming up? If you are I would shoot for somewhere between 48-50 min.

Future running partner.

My plan right now is about 3 more weeks of base, then do 4 weeks consisting of a hills/speed workout and tempo run. Then another 4 weeks consisting of an Anaerobic Capacity Interval workout and a tempo run then tapering for a final 10k. Along the way I plan on jumping into some 5ks and 10ks every couple of weeks once I finish my base training. I want to run a sub 20 5k and a sub 45 10k.
                GST

I want to PR - sub 45:17. For sure.

Depending on some other things that may steal my last half of the year for racing, maybe sub - 43.

Marquess of Utopia

I want to PR - sub 45:17. For sure.

Depending on some other things that may steal my last half of the year for racing, maybe sub - 43.

Go for it you're young and can do it if you continue to put in the time.

My goal for 10K is sub 36 this year. First try will probably be at the Ottawa Marathon as the Forces championship, but between getting sick and developing achilles problems in March, probably won't happen at that race.

I know a little more than 2 minutes better than my best race is probably pretty aggressive for a goal, but I went through the first 10K of my last ½ in 36:33, so I don't think it's unreasonable.  Now I just have to get my body to hold up to some steady training.

kcam

Good luck on 36 Viich.  You've got some talent obviously.  Let's get this group off TDC!

My goal 10K is the Marin Memorial Day Races (NorCal 5/31/10).  10K.  I've run it the past two years and it is by far my favorite race at any distance I run.  The course is fast but honest and the competition is very good as it is our USATF-Pacific division 10K championship.  Past 2 years my times were 40:36 and 39:17.  Since then I've run 38:24 on a tough day and 37:04 on a, I think, short course.  If I account for the short course I think I was below 38:00 easily.  So I guess my slam-dunk goal for Marin is sub-38 and dream goal is low 37's.  I've got several longer distance races that predict sub38.

Can't really do any specific training until after 4/19 (Boston Marathon) but I'll have about 3 weeks to work with after that.   I think my fitness is better than ever right now (as it should be if I'm racing a marathon in 2 weeks!) and I tend to recover well from races so I believe I'll be primed to run on 5/31.  I'll be posting training and looking for help from you guys after Boston.