10K Training Group, 8K's are welcome too

Training Plans (Read 1539 times)

Marquess of Utopia

I'm going to make up several training plans and post them here. First time: www.aulwes.com/10KPlanFT.htm Novice: Intermediate 1: Intermediate 2: Advanced 1: www.aulwes.com/10KPlanA1.htm Advanced 2: Feed back welcome. Big grin
      Good plans.

Marquess of Utopia

I found this "training progression" for 3K-10K. It looks like a lot of work, but looks like a good plan. http://www.completetrackandfield.com/3k-10k-training.html Any opinions?
          The program devotes as much time to V02 max and aerobic power as it does to endurance and lactate threshold devleopment. I can't see this being very good for anyone other than a highly talented, young runner, with a huge mileage base. Even then I'm not sure that it would be the best approach for a lot of runners who have the talent and base. I know it wouldn't work for me, but I'll be 62 in a couple weeks too. I put 90% or more of my energy into endurance and threshold work. The older you get the less return on investment there is from V02 max and other heavy anaerobic work. For a young guy like you it might work well. Regardless of age my guess is that a power runner with more of a speed bias would do better with this type of program than someone who is more of an endurance type.
          Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33

Marquess of Utopia

I found this http://www.electricblues.com/Hadd.doc, seems like a lot of slow running. I'm not planning on running out to the store to buy a HR monitor, but it could explain why my times slow down on longer distance races. (I really need to get out and run a 70-90 min run this week.)
              I found this http://www.electricblues.com/Hadd.doc, seems like a lot of slow running. I'm not planning on running out to the store to buy a HR monitor, but it could explain why my times slow down on longer distance races. (I really need to get out and run a 70-90 min run this week.)
              Joe, I think you can improve your longer race times a lot with mileage but I have a suspicion that you are always going to be a little stronger at middle distances even with more endurance work. That mile and 5k you had 6-7 years ago are just so much better than the longer races that you had around that time. You seem to be built more for power too. >I really need to get out and run a 70-90 min run this week Agree. No matter what your focus these longer runs are going to help. Snell used to put in 100-mile weeks to race the 800.
              Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33

Marquess of Utopia

I've been able to get some longer runs in the last two Saturdays, I can't wait to see how I'll perform in my 5 mile this Saturday. Here is an Authur Lydiard training program that I found, it has a very serious 10K sample program near the end. http://www.aulwes.com/al_training.pdf
                  I've been able to get some longer runs in the last two Saturdays, I can't wait to see how I'll perform in my 5 mile this Saturday. Here is an Authur Lydiard training program that I found, it has a very serious 10K sample program near the end. http://www.aulwes.com/al_training.pdf
                  I'm anxious to see how you do on Saturday. You've been very consistent with your endurance work lately. I expect that it is not only going to pay some dividends now, but will enable you to keep improving in the months to come. Thanks for the great Lydiard link. He's the first guy I really took notice of. A true legend.

Marquess of Utopia

So I was really sick last Saturday and didn't race. Dead These are the speed sessions that my running group is planning for the next 10 weeks. Feedback is welcome. TUE 2/19/2008 ......6 miles with 4 tempo* 2/26/2008 ......6 miles with 20 min hard 3/4/2008 ......7 miles with 5 tempo 3/11/2008 ......25 min tempo w/ mile up and cool 3/18/2008 ......8 miles with 6 tempo 3/25/2008 ......30 min tempo w/ mile up and cool 4/1/2008 ......8 miles with 6 tempo 4/8/2008 ......35 min tempo w/ mile up and cool 4/15/2008 ......8 miles with 6 tempo 4/22/2008 ......20 min tempo, finish w/ strides THU 2/21/2008 ......6x800 at goal pace 2/28/2008 ......5x1000 with 1 min rest between 3/6/2008 ......8x800 3/13/2008 ......1x2mile @ 1/2; 2x1 mile @ 10k; 2x800 @ 5k 3/20/2008 ......7x1000; recovery is 1/4 of interval 3/27/2008 ......1x2mile @ 1/2; 2x1 mile @ 10k; 2x800 @ 5k 4/3/2008 ......6x1200; recovery is 1/4 of interval 4/10/2008 ......6x1000; recovery is 1/4 of interval 4/17/2008 ......6x800 at 10k pace 4/24/2008 ......6 x 400 at 10k pace

A Saucy Wench

OK....what should I do my last 2 weeks... Background...I was coming back from injury hiatus at the same time my running friend wanted to train for her first 30K race, which coincides with my next 10K. So I decided best for both of us was focus on base building the last couple months. Mostly long slow miles. We had done some speedwork in December, mostly because she was in the middle of a program and I just went along for the ride, but none since the January 10K After sunday long run (15 for me) she starts a 2 week taper to the race. I figure I still have a good 7-10 days before I need to ease up . Should I add in some speedwork next week? What do you think? Probably at least a tempo next saturday, but I was thinking of some kind of interval work on wednesday.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Marquess of Utopia

OK....what should I do my last 2 weeks... Background...I was coming back from injury hiatus at the same time my running friend wanted to train for her first 30K race, which coincides with my next 10K. So I decided best for both of us was focus on base building the last couple months. Mostly long slow miles. We had done some speedwork in December, mostly because she was in the middle of a program and I just went along for the ride, but none since the January 10K After sunday long run (15 for me) she starts a 2 week taper to the race. I figure I still have a good 7-10 days before I need to ease up . Should I add in some speedwork next week? What do you think? Probably at least a tempo next saturday, but I was thinking of some kind of interval work on wednesday.
                        Personally I would add some speed work in, just be careful not to over do it. You're welcome to try the Tuesday/Thursday workout I just posted. Whatever day of the week you decide to run hard on; go really slow and easy on the following day. If you can't to run fast twice a week that's ok, I think it's most important to run intervals closer to your goal race.
                          A suggestion I would add to the above is to do the "@ 10k" at current race pace and not goal pace. So many runners think they have to run everything at goal pace and faster, with the reasoning that it will make the race feel easier. The truth is that being more fit is what's going to make the race feel easier, and running according to current fitness rather than goal level is going to make you more fit. Also your progress is likely to continue for a longer time. Doing only a very small volume "@ 5k" as suggested in Joe's schedule is a good idea imo.

Marquess of Utopia

Jim, do you ever run twice a day? I was thinking that in a few months to bump up my mileage by either adding a second (easy) run on a tempo day or running on Sundays.
                              Joe, I haven't done any doubles yet this year due to weather and limited daylight hours. However, I will be starting back into them very soon. Daylight savings time returns here on Mar 9. I did lots of them last year and believe they really helped. It is much easier to do 2 x 5 miles than it is a single 10, and unless you are training for the marathon there is close to equal benefit. That's just one example--there are dozens of ways to incorporate doulbes into your program. Often I won't even plan the 2nd run. If the mood hits me and I have time, I'll head out and knock off an extra 3-5. The miles added up--no such thing as "junk" miles, imo. Many say that you should be averaging 70 or more mpw to use them but I don't beleive it. I topped 70 only a couple times last year, and as I said, I'm sure they helped.

A Saucy Wench

I may try a few this year, but the 2nd runs would be very short, very slow and with a double jogger with 60lbs of kids. I think with that load a 10mm effort lands me a 12mm Tongue

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7