10K Training Group, 8K's are welcome too

10K Races! (Read 1218 times)

Hannibal Granite

Jim - Congratulations on a PR and a well paced race, it's always a nice surprise to have a good race result when you don't think the training has gone well

"You NEED to do this" - Shara

Marquess of Utopia

New seniors 8k PR! When I joined this thread I had tentatively planned to run a 10k tomorrow, but decided to do an 8k today instead. I had been having some non-running physical problems the past couple weeks and didn’t feel that I was in sub-40 shape at this point. Much to my surprise I ran 31:25 for a seniors PR. It was good for 1st in 60-64 age group and better than all the 50-plus guys except one. This was 4th straight year I’d run the course and had never run well on it until today. Splits were 6:23, 6:19, 6:16, 6:16, 6:11. Last one was .971 miles, which is always the case for the 8k distance. The course was a certified loop.This really helped lift my spirits after a tough past couple weeks. I turn 62 next week.
      Way to go Jim!

A Saucy Wench

wooohooooo Big grin

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

First 10k of '08 I drove down to Golden Gate Park with my girlfriend this morning to run the Windmill 10k, and what a nice surprise it was. This one replaced yesterday’s 10-miler that I missed because of an ongoing gastro intestinal problem. It was an absolutely beautiful morning and I woke up feeling pretty good too. The starting line was only about 400 meters from the bay. You could see the waves rolling in as you ran towards the finish. I’m guessing there about were 200 runners, and the race was very well organized. The $5 entry fee was one of the greatest bargains you’ll ever find. They had plenty to eat and drink, and there were very nice medals for the first 3 in each age group. The course was a straight out and back inside the park on the same road that is part of the SF Half Marathon. The first 5k runs away from the ocean on a moderate upgrade that really made me work for my 20:32 split. I thought my chances for sub-40 were out the window, but I didn’t realize that the upgrade I described as “moderate” was more like moderate-plus. I ended up running 19:06 for the return 5k with the last 2 miles in 12:10. What a rush it was running back towards the ocean and finally crossing the finish in 39:38. If the rest of my day goes anywhere close to this well I will be a happy ol’ dude.
          Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33

A Saucy Wench

very nice....

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Hannibal Granite

First 10k of '08
              I ran negative splits in a race yesterday as well (a 5k not a 10K) and it really does feel good to just keep getting faster as the race progresses. You're an inspiration to all of us who hope to keep competing as long as our bodies allow. Congrats on your sub-40 and keep up the solid work

Thanks John. As you might have noticed mine was up for the "out" portion and down coming back, which had a lot to do with the extreme negative split. How about some details on yours?
                Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
                Hannibal Granite

How about some details on yours?
                  As posted in the weekly training thread in General Running - 5K Race 17:41 36th overall (out of almost 7000) 2nd in age group, Including warm up and cool down about 8 miles for the day. I wanted to go under 18:00 which I made by a pretty decent margin. I got boxed in a bit at the beginning and spent most of the first mile weaving in & out of people so I think I actually had a faster time in me. On the plus side every mile got progressively faster and from looking at the results only 2 people ahead of me had a bigger gun time - chip time differential (mine was 7 seconds) so for all intents and purposes I didn't get passed at all during the race which is also a plus.

As posted in the weekly training thread in General Running - 5K Race 17:41 36th overall (out of almost 7000) 2nd in age group, Including warm up and cool down about 8 miles for the day. I wanted to go under 18:00 which I made by a pretty decent margin. I got boxed in a bit at the beginning and spent most of the first mile weaving in & out of people so I think I actually had a faster time in me. On the plus side every mile got progressively faster and from looking at the results only 2 people ahead of me had a bigger gun time - chip time differential (mine was 7 seconds) so for all intents and purposes I didn't get passed at all during the race which is also a plus.
                    I thought I'd seen this but couldn't remember where it was. This is quite an improvement over last in such a short time. I get the impression that course wasn't that fast either. To finish 36th in a field that size is the upper third of 1%. Well done--you're just gettng warmed up.
                    Hannibal Granite

I thought I'd seen this but couldn't remember where it was. This is quite an improvement over last in such a short time. I get the impression that course wasn't that fast either. To finish 36th in a field that size is the upper third of 1%. Well done--you're just gettng warmed up.
                      It is a fair improvement and I hope to make similar jumps in improvement over the next several months albeit at longer distance races. In the past after injuries layoffs etc. I have improved quickly just by increasing mileage, being more consistent and running a fartlek or tempo run about once a week. So that is the tack I'm tacking over the next several months. I plan on racing quite a bit over the spring and summer (I tend to stay more motivated if there is another race right around the corner even if it is not an important one) then running a fall marathon. The course actually was quite flat and fast, the winner ran 14:50 or so, the weather cooperated as well with temps in the high30's-low40s, although it was a bit windy in stretches.

Great running, guys!

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

A Saucy Wench

Second 10K of '08 After spending the week sleeping and coughing, I forced a gentle run friday to loosen things up. I've had some chest colds respond well to that and this was about the same, wheezed and coughed, left 1/2 a lung out on the road, but in the end it seemed to open up my breathing. Started to feel that I would be ready to race by Sunday Roll eyes Saturday I drove down to the race not sure what to expect. My original goals were 8:05, 8:10, 8:15 (perfect, target, backup) pace. Warm up felt a little sluggish but not too bad. I decided to go for it. Mile 1 I struggled to hit the 8:15 backup pace...came in at 8:14 but I was worried. Halfway through mile 2 I hacked up the other 1/2 lung and started to breathe easier. 8:11. Really got in to a rhythm after that. Garmin was useless on this run so I had to pace myself and I just really focused on holding a 2-3 breathing pattern (for me that seems about right for a 10K...if I go to 2-2 I am too fast, 3-3- I am too slow). Just focused on the breath the rest of the race. Mile 3 was 8:00, mile 4 was a little hilly 8:03, mile 5 7:59 - nice even pacing I felt. Looked at the watch and decided to go for it. Started alternating segments of 2-2 (end of race/5Kpacish) breathing in ...some intervals. Mile 6 7:50. Then I went all out for the finish 1:32 (7:40) TT 49:52 (8:02)Woohoo! But hey...that was my whole 2008 10Kgoal and I have 6 more 10K's Big grin Funny stuff on the course...it took me about 5 miles to lose this guy who from the beginning was breathing with this weird moan. If I heard that elsewhere I would have thought "oh shit, heartattack" Finally at mile 4 I relaxed and figured since he was still running 8mm he was PROBABLY ok. But dang...at least 20 years older than me. Then there was one guy who was pacing me a little closely. At about mile 4 1/2 he said.."I really like your pace". We exchanged pleasantries and he tucked in back aways. It was less flattering when I reached the end and he did the turnaround to head out on loop 2 of his 30K. He was 20 years older than me too.

Hey Ennay...this is big! You just smashed that old PR, and did it while coughing up pieces of your internal organs. Looks like those February miles are paying off. This could very well be the beginning of something much bigger. Congratulations and keep up the good work

A Saucy Wench

Thanks! This month will be a little screwy with my ski trip, but I have every intention of keeping up the mileage. I think the hardest part today was that I was getting too cold waiting for my 30K friend so decided to walk down to meet her and run the last mile or 2 in with her. We are very evenly matched pace wise...which puts her 30K pace, at just under 9mm, and I think she was pulling it in at about 8:45 the last mile. Yeah. Not exactly the kind of recovery run I was looking for. Tongue

Eustace Tierney

YoYo

21st June - Enniskillen 10K, Co. Fermanagh, Ireland Love to do a sub 40 but the hill at 5miles might put an end to that! will try to beat my age anyway. Sub 43. Anyone else trying for a sub 40. What sort of training are you doing?

"The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." Goals: Keep on running!