10K Training Group, 8K's are welcome too

Race Preparation (Read 515 times)

Eustace Tierney

YoYo

My target race was June 21st but have decided to run a race in 2 weeks time. Any thoughts on training between now and then. My target tme for june was sub 40. should I try now for this. Its a fairly flat course.

"The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." Goals: Keep on running!

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

I'm no expert but here are my thoughts: In general, should stick to your training plan but shift the hard workout to earlier in the week of the race - well that's what I do, i.e. front load the race week and run easy the days before. Then, race by how you feel as your A-race is over a month away. If you're "feeling it" and go sub 40 great, if not, you just put in a one hell of a tempo run and have a fitness baseline for the final stages of your training. I raced a sub 40 10k on April 19th. My plan was to go out in a 6:20, i.e. not blast the 1st mile, and take it from there. I didn't have a great day (legs a bit tight) but still pulled down a 39:11. You can check my log for the workouts leading up to that. Note that I'd run a strong 8k 3 weeks before as part of the 10k plan. I entered the 10k plan off a HM plan so had a good base.

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

Eustace Tierney

YoYo

Cheers for your thoughts. My legs a bit knackered at moment. 11 miles on sunday and 7.7 yesterday. I dont feel fresh any more always, running tired.. Perhaps I need to reduce the miles. will take a couple of days off.

"The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." Goals: Keep on running!

I suggest you check your paces and why it is you are always running tired. To me this is this worst cycle a runner can get into: go like crazy, take time off to recover, go like crazy, take time off to recover, repeat, repeat. In my opinion it's better to run more within yourself on harder days, and jog or run slowly on easy days to recover. Consistency wins every time!
          Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
          Eustace Tierney

YoYo

Jim - It is slowly sinking in to my thick head that I have been running too fast. I have read the books and listened to my fellow runners who all say slower pace. I think my body has finally got through to my head. Im going to take it easy for the next week and see if I can recharge the battery before race on the 18th. I think a proper structured programme is needed before my main race on June 21st.