10K Training Group, 8K's are welcome too

Blackwater 10k race report. (Read 739 times)

Eustace Tierney

YoYo

Fairly hilly course mostly on forest track. First km and last 2km quite fast. Well run event with plenty of marshalls. 2 water stations. Sports massage available. Includes a 5k walk and various activities for children. Winning Time - 34:32 (Delfim Dimentel)

"The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." Goals: Keep on running!

Marquess of Utopia

Keep it up! You'll learn from your mistakes, when is your next 10K?
      Eustace Tierney

YoYo

Next one june 21st. Fairly fast course with just one killer of a hill so will be hoping for a sub 40. Cheers

"The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." Goals: Keep on running!

Nice goin Banana Man. You made your goal on a tough course after a bad start Keep up the good work--well done.
          Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
          Eustace Tierney

YoYo

Nice goin Banana Man. You made your goal on a tough course after a bad start Keep up the good work--well done.
            Cheers Jim Any thoughts on a 4 week programme that might help me go sub 40.

Cheers Jim Any thoughts on a 4 week programme that might help me go sub 40.
              Some key questions (forgive me if you've already answered them somewhere): How old are you? How long have you been back running, and what has your weekly mileage average been for last few months? How many days per week do you usually run and how many do you plan to run going forward? Even before you answer I can tell you that I don't normally recommend putting a time limit on goals unless there is some compelling reason to do so. My approach has involved building a solid mileage base with most key workouts in threshold range. Although I've I done a few quicker workouts recently, I spent months and months rarely running anything faster than current 5k-10k pace with most in the 10k-HM range. I'm a big believer in basing workout paces off current fitness level rather than goal pace. When you do this, workout paces will get faster because race times will improve, but it keeps us from getting ahead of ourselves and able to consistenty keep up with training.
              Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
              jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I'm a big believer in basing workout paces off current fitness level rather than goal pace. When you do this, workout paces will get faster because race times will improve, but it keeps us from getting ahead of ourselves and able to consistenty keep up with training.
                Excellent point there, Jim. One sure way to get injured is to look at a training program based, say, on the VDOT that you'd like to run, and then run yourself into the ground training too hard.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Eustace Tierney

YoYo

Some key questions (forgive me if you've already answered them somewhere): How old are you? How long have you been back running, and what has your weekly mileage average been for last few months? How many days per week do you usually run and how many do you plan to run going forward?
                  Sorry only replying now Jim. Been messing with my profile settings so not sure if it is publlic. Im 43 Back running about 9 months. 2 -3 runs per week. try do between 6 & 8 miles per run and have started introducing an 11 mile run every couple of weeks. Also play soccer on a Friday evening which I usually play like its my last game ever. I probably should stop it but I do enjoy it. Almost as much as running! Only ever managed to maintain running for about 6mths at a time as I kept getting injured. Having to start from scratch then.(always running too fast) This is the longest Ive managed to string together and want to keep it going. Content to do more slow stuff now but a sub 40 on my home course on June 21st is a goal I have had for years. Through injury and a list of or other excuses I havent done this run since my mid 20's. Best recorded 10k - 40:40 but i have done sub 40 on the treadmill a few years back. Family life doesnt really allow for much more running time although I am THINKING about statrting some very early morning runs. Im 182 lbs at the moment and want to loose 4-5 Lbs in the next few weeks as I think this will help in achieving my goal. Cheers Jim

A Saucy Wench

I would work on getting consistant with your running and with increasing your mileage slowly. With a history of injuries trying to force it is risky. 10K's dont require much if any taper, you could build for the next 3 weeks and it would probably do you more good than anything else. Come to the early morning world! It's not even that dark out anymore Wink

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Agree with Ennay, and one BIG point I must add after looking at that log...slow down your daily runs! It's no wonder you've gotten injured. Not only does doing daily runs too fast cause more injuries, but it's not even that effective. All you need is a couple key workouts each week to improve a bunch. Not that I"m any world beater, but I'm doing most of daily runs in 8:20-8:40 range and can run low 39's for 10k. I'd say ~2 minutes per mile slower than current 5k pace is a good easy pace. You'll find it a lot easier to build mileage this way too, and your race times will get faster in the process...also good for weight control. Will say more later...gotta run now
                      Eustace Tierney

YoYo

2 minutes per mile slower than current 5k pace is a good easy pace.
                        Trying hard to slow down. Although I find running slower than 7:30 /7:40 pace hard to do. I tend to drift into a faster pace naturally. Will keep trying. I value your advice. Cheers