10K Training Group, 8K's are welcome too

10K clueless! (Read 617 times)

Prophet!

Hi all, Just looking for a little help planning my 10K, well actually a lot of help. A quick background, I started running in June 06 to get in shape, no previous running background at all. I did a marathon on December that year after only six months of running, paid for it dearly coming in at 5:05, but had fun regardless. Ran more consistently during 07 and did my second marathon in December in 4:45 (not bad considering I had a cold). My 5K and 10K PRs are 24:00 and 52:00 (set in 07). I have not done any speedwork whatsoever, few tempo runs here and there but mostly have just been running easy miles, hovering around 30 – 40 mpw on good stretches with 5 or 6 runs a week. I know there are a few plans out there that I can stick to, just thought I’d see if there are any suggestions for the best approach given my running history and times, or suggestions on plans that ease into speedwork. Here is the schedule of races starting next week up to target race week. Week 1 Week 2 Week 3 Week 4 Faerber 10K or Ft. De Russy 5K Week 5 Week 6 Week 7 Week 8 Ford Island 10K Week 9 Week 10 Week 11 Week 12 Week 13 Pineapple Run 10K (TARGET RACE) Thank you much, Steve
      Beautiful surfing pic on your profile, Steve! I am not going to presume to offer any advice: as a new runner I will leave that to the experts in this case. Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Marquess of Utopia

Steve, You may want to consider adding fartleks to you schedule once or twice a week. Take it easy go by how you feel. You can randomly insert surges of speed or an increased tempo that range from 100 to 3000 meters into your runs. Take it easy and try to have fun with it. Joe
          I like Joe's suggestion for at least a few weeks. As far as your racing schedule goes, I would go with the De Russey 5k at week 4. Give it your best effort, which doesn't mean killing yourself in the first mile, and use that race as benchmark for basing training paces on going forward. Gradually increasing mileage to where you can run in 40's week after week would help a lot too. Welcome, and keep posting
          Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
            I like Joe's suggestion for at least a few weeks. As far as your racing schedule goes, I would go with the De Russey 5k at week 4. Give it your best effort, which doesn't mean killing yourself in the first mile (like I often do), and use that race as benchmark for basing training paces on going forward. Gradually increasing mileage to where you can run in 40's week after week would help a lot too. Welcome, and keep posting
            Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33

Prophet!

thanks folks. Sounds like a good plan. I agree that i should really get to > 40 mpw consistently, somehow i think that with full-blown speedwork, I'll end up getting injured. I'll give the fartleks a go once a week for the next few weeks, maybe strides 2 x a week on the easy runs. will keep you updated. aloha, steve