10K Training Group, 8K's are welcome too

Who is the coach, "Tinman"? (Read 655 times)

I have heard this guys name mentioned, always as an authority, but I don't have any idea who he might be. It has occurred to me that it might be triathlete Scott Tinsley, can anyone solve this minor mystery for me? Thanks!

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

He is a partner on this Web site: http://therunzone.com/ where he answers questions and has posted several articles. He also does some Internet coaching and provides workout schedules for some high school and small college coaches. I first contacted him more than 2 years ago via the Net and met him soon after while he was doing some contract work here in the Bay Area. I was immediately impressed with his knowledge about training and running. The nickname "Tinman" is a holdover from when he used to write articles for the "Tinman Triathlon Magazine" or something like that. I've run 476 races since I started 30 years ago, and 18 of my 20 best age-graded times have come under his guidance. His mantra is "steady, steady, steady" rather than doing a lot of what he calls "super hero workouts", and he believes in taking a long-term view rather than a quick fix approach. He is a real student of the game, a nut about training and running in general. Being an older I guy, I was skeptical at first, figuring I didn't have time for a long term program. However, I took a leap of faith and have improved each of the past 3 years at an age where the charts say I should be slowing down. I know this can't go on forever, but something has to have been working for it to have lasted this long.
      Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
        Thanks!

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.