10K Training Group, 8K's are welcome too

10K Races! (Read 1218 times)

When I started my “2nd running life” near the end of 2004 and running a sub-40 10k was a major goal. It took me until last August to finally accomplishment it. Here’s what it took for me: • Mileage – average more than 50 mpw from start of year, and 60 for the 10 weeks prior to breakthrough (39:36) • Weekly long runs between 12-14 miles, often speeding up over the 2nd half of run, gradually increasing pace until the end. When the long one comes the day after something harder, I usally keep it at an easy pace the whole way. • Intervals on the track – Almost always between 1K and 1600 meters, with 200-400 meter recovery jog between each (usually 200), and 3-4 miles total for faster segments.. Pace was based on most recent races—never goal pace. Sometimes I would add 4 x 200 at 1m-3k pace after finishing the longer reps. >What sort of training are you doing? More recently I've been working in some hill repeats with the above that have helped me shave a few more seconds off my times. A greater emphasis on speed might get you there quicker—and I emphasize the word “might”—but progress is likely to stall sooner too, with a greater likelihood of injury. I’ve improved each of last 3 years, even though I turned 62 this year.
    Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
    Eustace Tierney

YoYo

Wicked! Hat off to you. Cant imagine i'll still be running when I reach your age. Puts us "younger boys" to shame. Only doing about 20 -25 miles a week and a bit of soccer. Hard to find more time. Hope to lose 7lbs before race in June which might shave a couple of mins off my present time. Will be close!

"The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." Goals: Keep on running!

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

I'd posted a 10k goal of 39:20 in December. Pulled off a 39:11 on Saturday for a new PR. Finished 8/732 overall and 3/55 in my division. This performance is right in line with the McMillan 10k time based off my 5k PR. However; I should have been faster - sub 39. My legs weren't feeling fresh and only two splits were under 6:20. My legs just wouldn't go any faster but I somehow managed a negative split - in previous years I would have caved but I'm better conditioned now. My half marathon training over the winter has helped a lot.

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

A Saucy Wench

Awesome PR! Hey...you ran the best that was in you today... Big grin

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Nice goin Asics, Just keep chipping away and that sub-39 will come.
            Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
            RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

Awesome PR! Hey...you ran the best that was in you today... Big grin
              Cheers! You're right, it was the best I could do on the day.
              Nice goin Asics, Just keep chipping away and that sub-39 will come.
              Thanks. I think I peaked a little too soon as my 8k, at the end of March, was close to perfect. I lost some focus in the weeks between that and this 10k and was got stale. Hey, I still finished 8th OA and 3rd in my division. Hopefully a summer of marathon training will get me over the hump. There's a local 10k or two in June but most likely my next 10k will be in the Fall, after the Chicago marathon.

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

A Saucy Wench

48:33 on a really hilly course. Feel very confident that a normal course would be sub 48, possibly close to 47. Splits are a bit deceptive, Miles 4 and 5 were slow, but that was the brunt of the uphill. Feel good about the race.

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Marquess of Utopia

Nice PR! Looks like you had a lot left at the end of the race, was it downhill?

A Saucy Wench

I had Nothing left at the end. The race was out and back...basically a mile up, 2 miles down, 2 miles up and 1 mile down. Except they were all undulating sections so the downs had steep ups and the ups had downs. A very very hard course. When I got to the last down hill, I just let loose so the last 1/2 mile was probably all at that 6:50 ish pace - I think if I had tried to slow down at that point I would have fallen over. I couldnt even take my own tag off my bib at the end. I would have felt better with less breakfast, I was stomach cramping on miles 2 and 5, but still a good race. I also think the mile markers are an estimate. I am pretty sure that mile 3 was long and mile 6 was short. I dont feel I was all that focused, but by the turn around I knew I was 2nd woman and would not be able to catch the first one unless she majorly blew out, so I just focused on staying ahead of #3. I know she was only 10-20 seconds behind me at the turnaround and her finish time was 49:XX so not bad. It was an interesting race in that after the first mile, I passed 1 person and no one passed me. Everyone was in their own pace early and pretty much held it - small group too, havent seen the numbers but a lot of the AG's only had 1 or 2 people in them. I had one new experience though. I am used to being the mid-packer who cheers for the lead women (women do that...solidarity!) and this was the first time I realized the mid-packers were clapping for ME. Holy shit.

Great racing Ennay. This is way cool:
                      I had one new experience though. I am used to being the mid-packer who cheers for the lead women (women do that...solidarity!) and this was the first time I realized the mid-packers were clapping for ME. Holy shit.

Future running partner.

Awesome Race ennay! Cool Good train of thought on the hills. When you try to keep splits on a hill course or even a course with just one hill. You have to expect that uphill mile splits should be slower, I learned a lesson before when I paniced after a slow but hard uphill first mile. By the way I just ran an 8k yesterday. My goal was to finish in under 40 and I ran a 39:02. This was a 2 lap course with 1 big up hill and 1 long down hill. On the uphills I just focused on maintaining consistent effort. On the downhills, I just relaxed and let go of the breaks on the downhills, which more than made up for the lost time from the uphills. I think if we ran a race together we would pace each other well.
                          Next Monday on Memorial Day will be my most important 10k this year. It is part of the PAUSATF Gran Prix series and the main of event of the "Marin Memorial Day Races". I've gone off the deep end by racing every weekend for more than 2 months straight but have been recovering well and getting in decent mileage along the way. Yesterday I ran a 5k in 19:02, to just miss one of my most important goals of going sub-19. Hopefully this is a sign that all the racing hasn't hurt and I wil be ready for a top effort next Monday. My goal is 39:19, which would be a new seniors PR.

Future running partner.

Next Monday on Memorial Day will be my most important 10k this year. It is part of the PAUSATF Gran Prix series and the main of event of the "Marin Memorial Day Races". I've gone off the deep end by racing every weekend for more than 2 months straight but have been recovering well and getting in decent mileage along the way. Yesterday I ran a 5k in 19:02, to just miss one of my most important goals of going sub-19. Hopefully this is a sign that all the racing hasn't hurt and I wil be ready for a top effort next Monday. My goal is 39:19, which would be a new seniors PR.
                            How are you planning to taper this week?

A Saucy Wench

Good Luck Jim! I also have a 10K on monday, but given the timing with my HM coming up and the time I missing being sick, I am going to treat it as a HARD training run, but still do a long run on Saturday. It is flatter than the last one I did, so I may still have a PR shot.

How are you planning to taper this week?
                                ~50 miles all easy running except for light workout tomorrow or Thurs. If gym class isn't using the HS track I'll probably do a few intervals at 10k pace on it. Otherwise it will be a fartlek on the grass. Fri-Sun will be 7, 6 and 4 miles, with last 2 days slower than usual. Thanks Ennay, and good luck with yours too!