10K Training Group, 8K's are welcome too

Gotta tell you about my 10k PB. (Read 482 times)

I ran down Yonge Strret, Toronto, this morning, part of a crowd of 8590 official finishers in the Sporting Life 10k. I have been running for 18 months now, and this was the first anniversary of my first race. (Ran 51:50 the first time.) My goal was to break 48 minutes, and secretly I had hoped back in February to get into the 46 minute range. My training has been minimal in March and April because of illnesses and the need to help my wife through tax season (she does tax preparation.) I realised 48 minutes was more likely, and even that meant running at a speed I had not sustained over that distance before. Started well, the first half is mostly downhill, 5k split at 22:57, stopped for water at 7k and for coughing and hacking at 9k under the Gardiner Expressway, but mostly a pretty good run, chip time 46:19.5! I am excited to have finished just inside the first 1,000 runners, and 22/151 in M55-59. In the last kilometer I passed a girl in a pink tutu, was determined not to let her beat me, spoke to her afterwards, she was one of 17 runners from the National Ballet of Canada, ran under 47 minutes, those balerinas can run! My best split was the final kilometer, in 4:21 (about 7:00/mile pace) , nothing like a finish line and a runner in a tutu for motivation. If I had been healthier I am nearly sure I could have cracked 45 minutes, starting to think I have potential at this running thing. Thanks for reading,Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

A Saucy Wench

VEry nice!!! I know exactly how you feel about potential! Yeah...ballerinas can be really good runners they have serious legs.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Dog-Love

Nice to be so fast! And yeah you have to pass folks in tu tus. Good job. Are you going to race another 10K in a couple of months to see what you can really do? Sherry
        Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
          Fantastic times Simon. You run about the same distance as I do - you must be in very good aerobic shape to go that fast. Have you always been athletic? I'm jealous. Blush

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

Nice race Simon, Your progess has been impressive, especially considering your relatively low mileage. It seems like I remember you having some injury problems, but if you are ever able to solve those and train more I could see you running a whole lot faster too. Well done
            Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
              Thanks, everyone! I am thinking about a fall half marathon, and maybe the Nissan 10 miler, though that is in mid July and I am concerned about the heat. I had planned (hoped?) to get my training up to a decent level by now, maybe 60-65k or about 40 miles per week, but it just has not happened. I know I will have to get serious to make any further progress. Ruth I ran a bit in school, but mainly to avoid other sports that were more time consuming; I am one of those people who can get by at almost anything, swimming, tennis whatever, but not really any good at anything. I stopped running at 16 because of knee problems, but this has not resurfaced to my relief. Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.