10K Training Group, 8K's are welcome too

Jim24315 (Read 637 times)

Eustace Tierney

YoYo

Just looked at Jim's Log. Truly awsome and inspiring! Keep it up Jim!

"The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." Goals: Keep on running!

Agreed, strongly! Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Marquess of Utopia

Very inspiring! Jim, what is your highest mileage logged in a week? month?
          Thanks guys, >Jim, what is your highest mileage logged in a week? month? Not as much as you might think--78 is highest week ever, and 289 the highest month. Last year I set an all-time record, beating my 1989 total by a single mile--2746 vs 2745. This year, I'm on pace to surpass those totals, but will need some luck to keep it up through December. I've been very fortunate to have been virtually injury free for more than a year, and no major ones for past 3. If I had it to do over again I would have run much higher mileage when I was younger and trained smarter than I did. I think some people get the idea that I'm pretty hard core, but the truth is that I don't push my training that much at all. Running almost every day isn't as difficult as many people think. My average daily run is about 2 minutes a mile slower, give or take a few seconds, than what I can race a 10k at. Key workouts are just hard enough to benefit from them, but not of the "super hero" variety. I save my best for the races and also run a high percentage of mileage on soft grass. Consistency rules. I think complete rest days are way over rated, but will take one occasionally if I need to. Usually it is possible to recover completely from harder efforts by doing easy runs that are are short-moderate in distance. The exception would be when a nagging injury starts to develop. For those it is often necessary to take some time off.
          Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33

Future running partner.

Thanks guys, Running almost every day isn't as difficult as many people think. My average daily run is about 2 minutes a mile slower, give or take a few seconds, than what I can race a 10k at. Key workouts are just hard enough to benefit from them, but not of the "super hero" variety. I save my best for the races and also run a high percentage of mileage on soft grass. Consistency rules. I think complete rest days are way over rated, but will take one occasionally if I need to. Usually it is possible to recover completely from harder efforts by doing easy runs that are are short-moderate in distance. The exception would be when a nagging injury starts to develop. For those it is often necessary to take some time off.
            Looking at your log history, you have very good balance and consistency in your training. I agree whole heartedly with what you said above. I think your biggest strength is the fact that you learn from your experiences and I would assume that you really take time to plan your training schedule as it fits you (physically and your life style). It really shows based on race times I have seen you post, especially for your age. I think of all the people in this forum, we can learn from you the most.
              Looking at your log history, you have very good balance and consistency in your training. I agree whole heartedly with what you said above. I think your biggest strength is the fact that you learn from your experiences and I would assume that you really take time to plan your training schedule as it fits you (physically and your life style). It really shows based on race times I have seen you post, especially for your age. I think of all the people in this forum, we can learn from you the most.
              Thanks tfontana, I think my training is pretty good, although I probably shouldn't run quite so many races. As far as the planning goes I periodically use a schedule that my advisor/coach Tom "Tinman" makes up for me and at other times I use him more as an advisor. To be honest I'm really not that disciplined when it comes to following a set schedule, usually because of trying to fit in an extra race here and there, but I try to be consistent and follow certain principles. A few of the more important ones are making sure I get in a long run almost every week, going easy on my easy days, and avoiding "super hero" workouts (save your best for the race).
              Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33