1367 miles, or a marathon per week

How's everyone's training going? (Read 336 times)

My training is ramping up this year.  I keep trying to get to 50 mpw but it seems like something happens every week.  I know everyone else is the country is up to their elbows in snow so I hate to even complain, but I'm so sick of winter I can barely stand it.

How do you plan your training?  I have an Excel spreadsheet.  I don't really follow a specific plan (Lydiard, Daniels, Pfitz), but I try to run 5-7 days a week, do a long run or race one day, a tempo run one day, an 8-10 miler mid week and then easy jogs the other days.

This weekend, I ran the Mercedes Half, and a couple of my friends/training partners did the full.  They have no Excel spreadsheets, they bail on our long runs early, one guy only runs 2 days a week...  So, one of my friends that I train with a few days a week nearly qualified for Boston on her first marathon (was on 3:30 pace until mile 24 and bonked but still beat 4 hours...later she told me all she had was water on the course, just couldn't stomach the Powerade or Gus.) and the guy who only runs 2 days a week did 3:48 on his first marathon.   Yeah, I know some people are wired for speed, but I guess I'm finding it a little hard to go back to my spreadsheet today.  Luckily, I think it says "REST" today.

Really bad .... Have had some injuries/personal issues effecting training last 2 months.  Based on current miles may have to go back to the 1000 mile group .... Is there a 500 miles group??

Kicking off (again) the spring half marathon training today!!  Have a 15K in 3 weeks and that was by far my softest PR and should be kicking the crap out of it but would settle for not being worse than last year

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

Carl A

Pretty good.  I logged more miles in January this year than I did last year, and I'm on my way to my best February ever. Hoping to keep this going and get to (and hopefully past) 50mpw too.

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

Really bad .... Have had some injuries/personal issues effecting training last 2 months.  Based on current miles may have to go back to the 1000 mile group .... Is there a 500 miles group??

Kicking off (again) the spring half marathon training today!!  Have a 15K in 3 weeks and that was by far my softest PR and should be kicking the crap out of it but would settle for not being worse than last year

Buckeye, you have plenty of time to get your mileage back and make your marathon a week goal Smile Is your 15K next weekend?  Good luck!  Maybe all the rest will give you an unexpected surprise Wink

Buckeye, you have plenty of time to get your mileage back and make your marathon a week goal Smile Is your 15K next weekend?  Good luck!  Maybe all the rest will give you an unexpected surprise Wink

Yeah 15k is next Sunday and no where prepared ... but sucking wind for 9.3 miles is the dues I will have to pay for not being in shape.  Should be Fun   Have had respitory infection last 7 - 10 days but managed a big 6 mile LR and although was not blazing at least it was a steady state run and made it.  Will try to get at least 8 miles in this weekend.

Hope to test how much of that residual "marathon" training is left down deep and in theorey should be able to run a relatively slow MP and still PR.  Will be shooting for a whopping 1:20 when should have been < 1:14  .... Ohh Well.

Ended up with 1500 last year and had just as bad jan/feb last year ... so just need to kick it into gear.

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

Imminent Catastrophe

Ended up with 1500 last year and had just as bad jan/feb last year ... so just need to kick it into gear.

Ditto.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Renee the dog

Ohhhh, don't ask.  Well, let's just say that my core work has been exceptional with all the snow shoveling I did throughout Feb.  I hope it is enough to get me through my 2 marathons at the end of March...'cause my legs have not had enough time on the road...

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Carl A

Ditto.

Ditto on that ditto, here. My Jan/Feb was marginally better than previous years, but not the lightshow I'd been planning back in December!

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

Lu481

I kept my mileage up a little too high at the beginning of the year and got another injury...  My right ankle this time...  Will I ever learn?? 

So I'm behind by about 140 miles right now and starting to pick up my mileage again...  It's going to take me a while to catch up, but hopefully with 9 months left, I'll do it...

Lu