1500 Miles So Go Run

26.2 mile training run or 13.1 mile race? (Read 224 times)

corland

This forum needs some life. I'll start a topic. You all can tell me how foolish my thinkig is. I'll do what I want to do even after you all tell me its a bad idea. I'll post results. You all can laugh at me and say "I told you so." I will be fun! My wife and I are going to Boyne, MI this weekend for our 4th anniversary. She is allowing me to run a race Sunday morning before we come home. I'm leaning toward running the full marathon as a training run (nice and slow) rather then racing the 1/2. My goal marathon is 10/28. Thoughts on the subject? Cory

All business

If your wife doesn't mind the extra time to run a full (4hrs instead of 2ish, plus a relaxing Saturday...), i say go for it! Your mileage is up, and you're healthy, so why not. Worse case, you end up cutting it a little short, and calling it a long run. I'm curious to hear how it all goes.

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." J. Handy

va

Ah, good topic... I'll suggest a third option - run the half as a training run. I am training for my first full on 11/10. I am running a half on 10/13. (about a month in between, as in your case). I am part of a marathon training group run by the local track club. In my training plan, the coach recommended that I run the half paced as follows: mile 1: marathon pace mile 2: marathon pace - 1:00 min/mile mile 3: marathon pace mile 4: marathon pace - 1:00 min/mile repeat until finish... I was disappointed, for I really wanted to race it, and I think I could do better than this pace. The coach has really been empasizing the importance of practicing running at marathon pace. Btw, I am shooting for a 4:20 marathon finish which is a 9:56 min/mile pace.
          I say run the whole as a training run. It will be a great chance to get a feel for what any weaknesses might be for race day, and you can run it pressure free. Just go into the race knowing it's only a training so you're not tempted to push yourself harder than you should. Smile

Michelle

runpd

Eye Lick Two Rhune

Go for it, have fun running the full. It will be a great bench mark for where you are at.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift" -Pre

"Do... NOT..! Seek... THE Treasure". Race the half, at goal MP through 10, then run negative to a strong finish.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

Go Pre!

"Do... NOT..! Seek... THE Treasure". Race the half, at goal MP through 10, then run negative to a strong finish.
                I agree here. The 'speedwork' type training run of a raced half will have the most benefit on the pending Marathon. Trust me Wink
                corland

I should add that I ran a 25k in the spring at 8:09/mile. I felt fine after the event and continued to increase mileage immediately after the recovery week. I dont think running a 1/2 at goal marathon pace (8:20/mile) would be much of a training run at all given the amount of running I've put in this summer. If I run the 1/2 I'd be looking at pacing 8/mile the 1st half and 7:45 the second half. Truthfully, I have another reason for running the full. It would kill two birds with one stone. I'd love to be able to say I ran 2 marathons in a month, but the more motivating reason is checking off that last long run. I have one more 20 miler scheduled for 10/6 or 10/7. I dont like 20 milers. I'd love to get it over with. My taper schedules would look something like: Marathon:---------------------------1/2: 56 miles this week--------------43 this week 35-45 next week---------------50-55 next week 45-50 2 weeks out-------------45-50 2 weeks out 35-45 1 week out---------------35-45 1 week out 40 miles including race---------40 miles including race
                  Jeffrey

You could do the Boyne M as a training run. You could break it into thirds for something like: 8 @ MP +30, 8 @ MP +15, 8 @ MP, 2.2 @ whatever. Or you could race the HM @ MP, or MP -15/30 if you're feeling good. Running faster than MP will give you the added benefit of making your goal MP feel slow.
                    corland

Let me be the first to say that my confidence needed that reality check. My wife and I got to Boyne on Friday. When I took a drive down part of the course I realized that the 1/2 was going to be more then enough running for the weekend. I do not run hills. I live on flat land and look for flat races. Boyne's marathon slogan "The challenge of the course wont take your breath away... but the views along the way will." They went on to describe a "rolling" course. I thought it might be a bit worse then described.... Ha! So we went to registration and I picked up the package. On the back of the shirt is an elevation chart with the word "Conquered!" stamped across the top. Long story short - 1:50:48. My GPS gave me 13.45 miles. It was a very good training run. I'm confident that I can make my marathon goal (3:40-3:45 on FLAT land). thanks to everyone for the input