1500 Miles So Go Run

March Goals (Read 445 times)

jeffdonahue

Nobody started up the monthy goal threads again, so thought I'd do it in case anyone was interested.  Plus I have goal for this month and wanted to get it out there to try to help hold me to it.

My march goal:

Sub 108 in my 10 miler this weekend (Black Cat 10 miler in Salem, MA)

After that I'll probably slip back into some base building for a 5K at the end of May.

That's all - hopefully I will not run on the TM as much this month either.

Good luck with your 10 miler Jeff.

My goals:

sub 2 half marathon  - I just need to tak off 1 minute and 34 seconds...my last half I ran 2:01:33 on zero workouts in the 2 months leading up to the race...this time I ran at least a workout a week (or more)...and increased mileage by about 10%...that should do it, right???? 

#artbydmcbride

That sounds like it will work, knifey!!  Smile

My goals...are to run a good marathon in Los Angeles, then beat my nemesis at the trail half marathon the following weekend.  Cool

Runners run

Mine is to complete the Thames Path 100 miler over this weekend and then to recover and try and fit in a trail 50km near the end of the month depending on how my feet are.

Jerry
          A runners blog-updated daily

Easy March Goal:  PR in the 10k.  Easy why?  I've never raced one before!  That's tomorrow morning, and I have no idea what time to shoot for.

Hard March Goal:  PR in the marathon by 15-20 minutesThis one may kill me.  It's the ORRRC marathon on March 24th.  Old PR is a 3:39:35 (last November--first marathon).  Shooting for a sub-3:20 (hopefully better) this time around.

Other March Goals:  Enjoy the journey, enjoy every run on its own merit.  Run with groups more often.  Run trails more often. Smile more while running. 

Good luck, Jeff!  Looking forward to hearing about your new 10 mile PR soon Smile.

Sounds like you've got the training in to do it right, knifey!  Good luck that you probably don't need. Smile

And nice back-to-back weekends planned, Ilene.  Looking forward to hear about your slain nemesis.  :-D

MTA: Jerry--you are both inspirational and perhaps a little nuts.  I'm hoping to run my first ultra this summer...and tips for newbies?

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
            Emil Zatopek

anneb

I have a bit of a lead on the bunny right now, which is somewhat surprising as I wasn't sure how only running outside was going to go...good thing we haven't had much of a winter this year. Wink It's been lighter in the morning the last couple of weeks too so that helps. Too bad the clocks go ahead this weekend.

I am running an 8K on the 18th and I want to PR...this is one of my strongest PR's, so we'll see how that goes! That's it for March. Good luck to everyone with their goals!

Anne

jeffdonahue

Got my PR in the 10 miler, but came up about 8 seconds short of where I wanted to be.  Final time - 1:08:07, which was still good for minute and a half PR so I'm still happy with it. 

The race itself was tough.  I held 6:40-6:45s for the first 5 miles, then I really struggled the second half.  I had to really push hard to hold onto 7:00s.  Picked it up a little in the last mile, but it hurt a lot more than last year.  Oh yeah, and I got chicked by two women who passed me in the last mile - the worst part was that while I was sucking wind and struggling, they were just jogging along chatting like they were out for a Sunday stroll in the park.

I hate when I'm in a race and end up running by myself.  For the 1st mile there was a pretty big group.  For the next 2 miles I hung on with two guys who were doing the 20 miler, but they were faster than me and lost me on the big hill.  After that, I was pretty much alone.  Mentally i think that killed me.  Last year I had a group of 3-4 guys that we all stuck together from mile 2 to about mile 7, at which point I left them and picked up the pace.  This year, nobody within about 100 feet of me forward or backward for a couple miles at least.

Still, a PR is a PR.  Now to switch focus to my upcoming 5K.  I forgot I had signed up for one in two weeks - not sure I'll be ready, my quads still hurt from Sunday.

Marylander

In march I need to get it back together. I really let things go over the winter. Sad

Wing

Joggaholic

I just realized I'm barely hanging on to the bunny! It made me want to just run laps around the office now for the 1.6 miles I needed to catch up for the day. I'm hoping I won't be left behind by the end of the month...

Haven't got my March goals in yet and it is mid-March so these might seem a little silly but.... 1) break 20:00 for 5k for first time - accomplished March 4 19:53 2) run 240 miles. Current high is about 210 3) have a great week in Mexico and try not to run too hard in the heat!

2018 Goals

Figure out the achilles thing...... and THEN try to get running regularly again.

No racing goals 

....so here we go, I am still wondering if I should do my 50km tomorrow. The muscle by my knee is a niggly and I am feeling a bit miserable at the moment so not sure if I want to drag my sorry arse out on the trails. I have just remembered that the clocks go forward as well this weekend in the UK so it is an hour less in bed as a double whammy for lost sleep.

I suppose I better man-up and get on with it

Jerry

....so here we go, I am still wondering if I should do my 50km tomorrow. The muscle by my knee is a niggly and I am feeling a bit miserable at the moment so not sure if I want to drag my sorry arse out on the trails. I have just remembered that the clocks go forward as well this weekend in the UK so it is an hour less in bed as a double whammy for lost sleep.

I suppose I better man-up and get on with it

So I decided to man-up and get on with it... here is my little report on the day

Jerry

#artbydmcbride

Great report, Jerry!  You da Tiger!   Smile   From your shoes smelling horrific to your biscuits and orange cordial, you are so UK.   I mean that in a good way Cool

Rest up now and ice those knees!!

Runners run

Haven't got my March goals in yet and it is mid-March so these might seem a little silly but.... 1) break 20:00 for 5k for first time - accomplished March 4 19:53 2) run 240 miles. Current high is about 210 3) have a great week in Mexico and try not to run too hard in the heat!

1)Broke 20:00 for 5k 2)Only got to 225 but that was still a record for me. Lost miles because of Mexican heat and taper for an unplanned April 1 race 3)Great trip to Mexico with lots of barefoot beach runs which were new!

2018 Goals

Figure out the achilles thing...... and THEN try to get running regularly again.

No racing goals 

anneb

I am running an 8K on the 18th and I want to PR...this is one of my strongest PR's, so we'll see how that goes! That's it for March. Good luck to everyone with their goals!

Ha ha, no. It was sunny and at least 70 that morning and I pretty much melted. I knew I wasn't going to PR so gave up on that idea.

But, I ran over 150 miles last month for the first time since June 2010, so not a bad month overall. Smile

Anne