1500 Miles So Go Run

March goals (Read 582 times)

jeffdonahue

Didnt see one yet, so thought I'd start it.

Here's my goals for March:

200 miles

10 mile PR - hopefully sub-1:10 (PR is 1:14)

#artbydmcbride

190 miles

Runners run

Jill_B

I fly.

Survive.

and run at least 170 miles... (it worked for a terrible January and a tricky February... )

Bring it on.

Gosh....my training plan says

• 237 miles which includes
          • 2 x 28 milers
          • 1 x 50 km map and compass event

I have a feeling it will be a few miles less

Jerry
          A runners blog-updated daily

Around 200 miles.

Run a 50K to train for an April 44 miler.

Try once again to do arms and core at least twice a week.

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!

Around 200 miles.

Run a 50K to train for an April 44 miler.

Try once again to do arms and core at least twice a week.

Cassie, you put me to shame, I am about to make an effort to work on my core but I am interested to find out from you what exercises you do for your arms?

Jerry

Beware, batbear...

1.)  2 out of 4 weeks @ 50+ miles

2.)  3 out of 4 weeks @ 40+ miles

3.)  Get out early in the AM at least once per week.

4.)  lose 5 more pounds - get avg. weight under 184.

5.)  Keep working on speed once soccer is over. 

2014 Goal -- Run 5X per week, pain-free (relatively) by end of summer.

Jerry,

Nothing too terribly fancy.  I have two options for arms each time I do arms, and I generally do abs and arms on the same day.  I have access to a personal trainer at work as of late so I asked her put something together for me. I was going to try and do it 3 times a week, but I just can't seem to make myself.  Now I'm aiming for 2 times a week.  Looks something like this for arms:

Each exercise can be performed for 30 seconds or 15 repetitions OR 20 seconds or 10 repetitions; switch around for variety. Start w/ performing each exercise 1-2 X through, then increase to 3 X through; or vary depending on alloted time for workout. 

Warmup

Option 1:

Wall or floor push-ups 

Overhead dumbbell press

Bicep hammer curls

Seated tricep extension

Upright row with dumbbells

Option 2:

Stability ball dumbbell Bench Press 

Shoulder  band adduction

Bicep band curls

Tricep bench dips

Seated band row

Stretching / Cooldown

Cool

That is really interesting as arms are one thing I ignore! After my recent 50 miler one area that was quite tender afterwards were my shoulder (trapezium) muscles which I had never had before and put it down to the day but the options look really good, thank you

Jerry

You are welcome, Jerry!  Hope it helps!  My real goal is to look and feel balanced.  I don't want to be all legs with teeny tiny arms.  I certainly feel it in my upper body and core after a really long race.  In fact, I think I've had more injury in my core area (ribs, back) in the last two years than anywhere else... which is why I am trying to do some work in that area.  Since it is all connected, I've come to realize that leaving those areas out of my training has been a mistake.  I'm having a heck of a time trying to fix that situation as motivation is low.  

Yesterday I was reading about arm swing while running.  Interesting stuff.

Arm swing is interesting as I often comment on it with my training buddy who has his arms tucked up (hands up and near chest) where I hold mine lower and let them swing naturally. I have one guy who I run with sometimes and he only allowed to run on my right as his elbow always bangs my Garmin switching it off!!!!!

If I am on a long flat I often drop my arms right down as it takes pressure off my shoulders but with too much swing I can see torque being created around the core....it is all elastic bands connected to other ones!

Jerry

Yep, I tend to keep mine higher.  Some people say to keep the elbows bent at 90 degrees.  If you look at Ryan Hall, he keeps his arms low with this hands closer to his hips and his chest forward with little rotation.  Seems different people keep them at different heights.  The one thing I notice is a lot of the really fast people keep their arms from crossing too much in front of their chest whether or not they carry them high or low.  Still, there are few that have a lot of torso rotation.  Torso rotation is part of what drives your leg forward, but it seems too much would waste energy.  

Carl A

200 mi.

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

200 miles.  Arm swing just perfect.

170 miles

PR 5K, 10K

Continue core workouts

Lose 1 lb to reach 130.