1500 Miles So Go Run

Sticking to one mileage goal group (Read 401 times)

jeffdonahue

Has anyone else noticed that there are people on the chart that have their name on 2, 3 or even all four of the mileage goal groups. Does anyone else think people should just stick to one group. I think people should pick a group, and then if they are really surpassing that group, move up to the next one, or if they are lackign for whatever reason, leave that group and drop down to the next lower one. Just in this group alone (the 1500 mile goal) the top 15 people are not only crushing the 1500 mile bunny but are also significantly ahead of the 2000 mile pace bunny. And some fo these people are in both groups - just seems to me they should stick to one. Just my .02

Think Whirled Peas

While I don't necessarily disagree w/the mileage portion of your arguement, I'm in a couple specifically because I like to follow the message board for each group. Having joined the group, it's easy to know when new msgs have been added to the board. Not sure I added much to this topic, but then, I rarely do! Smile

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

runpd

Eye Lick Two Rhune

I personally am in two different groups because I set different mileage goals for the year a reasonable goal based on last year, and a new goal for the year that will take some work. Also the message boards in my two groups are completely different and if I left one or the other I might miss out on a topic. I tend to look at my groups for information and inspiration, instead of the main boards because some are just trying to debate. I think that some join multiple groups for this same reason, I do however don’t agree with a person that knows they are going to run over 1000+ miles would join and stay in the 1000k club well after reaching that mark. Move on and use the mileage groups as a step ladder. But with that said I plan on trying to run 2000+ miles this year and I don’t plan on leaving this group sometime in Aug to Oct just to join again in Jan 09. I find that mundane. I run against myself and the bunny and on occasion Tuff and DaddyO, and any other runner that is close to me in mileage, it motivates me to get out and run. Sorry if this offends but at the upper mileage clubs this is a silly debate and should be reserved for those in the less mileage clubs. A lot of us are here because we have a place we like and don’t want to leave.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift" -Pre

A Saucy Wench

I was originally in 2 groups. My reasonable goal (1243m) and my stretch goal (1500). I'm now also in the swamp even though I have no desire to run 2000 this year. Which of course...does the swamp really have much to do with mileage? Right now I look good and if I had to pick a mileage bunny I was really targeting it would be this one. But I like the forum in the 1243 group, so I am not leaving there just because I am kicking that bunny's fuzzy butt. Besides, if I were to declare myself too "ahead" to be a part of that group, karma would come down and kick my fuzzy butt with a stress fracture or something. Now I will admit to having similar thoughts about runners who are on multiple groups who have never in recorded history visited the forums. Why ARE they in that group? Then I think it seems to be just to be at the top, but hey, what do I know.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

I started the year in three groups, the 1000, 1500, and 2000. I have since left the 1000 and the 2000. I left the 1000 because I am fairly certain I will go beyond that since I ran about 1300 last year. And I have just left the 2000 because I really doubt I'll get close to reaching 2000, and there are rarely any conversations I can contribute to in that group (not that I post all that much anyhow). MTA: Just because someone is leading the board at one point doesn't mean that they will end the year that way. A lot can happen between now and then.

Michelle

jeffdonahue

Fair enough, I hadnt really considered the "different forum" perspective on this but I can definitely understand that - given that I check the forums and posting on here way too often myself.
                given that I check the forums and posting on here way too often myself.
                It's an addiction that we all live with! Big grin

Michelle

I am probably one of the offenders you are referring to. Others have summarized my thoughts on this well, so I won't repeat. Also, I was one of the original members of this group, so can't find it in myself to move. Curious: at what point should someone move on? Say, when they are 85.6 miles ahead of the pace bunny? Wink

A Saucy Wench

I am probably one of the offenders you are referring to. Others have summarized my thoughts on this well, so I won't repeat. Also, I was one of the original members of this group, so can't find it in myself to move. Curious: at what point should someone move on? Say, when they are 85.6 miles ahead of the pace bunny? Wink
                    lol Big grin When they have completed the year's mileage goal and there is more than half the year left? Wink I could also see not leaving a group just to remind me of where I came from. If I had been at RA last year I would have probably been in the 1000 mile group...I would stay probably.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

jeffdonahue

I know, and I lost ground this month due to the stomach flu - but I was thinking more along the lines of those that are like 50 miles ahead of the next bunny. Clowning around

Fair enough, I hadnt really considered the "different forum" perspective on this but I can definitely understand that - given that I check the forums and posting on here way too often myself.
                        Forums, mostly.

Run to Win
                        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Master of Inconsistency

I'm not in any of the other groups,but I am one of the top 15 you refer to. I originally started out in the 1000 mile group but soon switched after signing up to run a marathon. This is my 3 rd year running and in the previous 2 years I fell short of 1000 miles .( Mid 900's) I always seem to run a lot less during the summer so I was going to see where I stand afterwards and move up if my running stayed consistent. So for now anyways, the pace bunny's my Bitch. Big grin I agree with you on those who are in the 1000k group and are about to hit the mark. It's only April !

Ain't  Wastin' Time No More !

I could bare the shame no more, I pulled myself from the 1000 mile group with one guilt driven click of the mouse. I feel much better. MTA Typo don't want nobody thinkin' I cant's spell.
                              I'm thinking about starting a 366 mile group.... that's 1 mile a day this year. I'd be all "Basic Instinct" on that bunny. I left the 1000 mile group because i'm sure i will own that bunny. I'm here as a stretch goal...... 2000 km is the goal I set at the start of the year. Haven't joined the swamp but I lurk....... great place to learn lots of stuff not related to running.
                              jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

And I have just left the 2000 because I really doubt I'll get close to reaching 2000, and there are rarely any conversations I can contribute to in that group (not that I post all that much anyhow).
                                We miss you in The Swamp.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.