1500 Miles So Go Run

So what hydration systems do you use? (Read 525 times)

This is an interesting article which has some surprising results.

Is it easier to hold water bottles in hand or in a hydration pack?

Jerry
    A runners blog-updated daily

A Saucy Wench

or then there is the fact that carrying anything in my hands annoys the shit out of me.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Hee hee I was out last Sunday with a map in my hand and I agree it is X&^£ing annoying I was glad when I put it back in my pack.

Jerry

I've been trying multiple systems..... trying to find what is best.

One of my big issues is chaffing...

I started with a belt that held one bottle in the small of the back.  I had issues with it feeling like it was bouncing around and if I wanted to stop that I had to wear the belt so tight that I felt like I was being cut in half.

Next I moved to the Fuel belt with 4 mini bottles.  It held more water and with the distributed weight there was less bouncing around.  I was a decent option that I thought was going to be the answer.

http://www.fuelbelt.com/fuel_belts/4_bottle.html 

Since I have picked up a bottle that has a strap that goes on my hand..... I thought I'd use it for mid-long runs cause I woudln't need as much water, I thought I would hate it because when I would carry something during a run I would not enjoy it.  It turns out that I really like it.  Now I use it on my long runs too...... sometimes on the really cold days the water gets so cold that it starts to make my hand cold too... but I've been able to deal with it....

http://www.triathletesports.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=1873855003461-25b1&click=8694

I have a North Face bottle belt and found it great but as soon as I went out in the very hot weather and went a reasonable distance of 18+ miles it rubbed something terrible, I have a feeling it was a salt rash.

I swear by my back pack and protect my neck from rubbing using a Buff. The runs I do here in England tend to be cross country with a lot of stiles and gates to climb over. Having a handheld would make this very difficult although I do tend to hold my bottle towards the end but more because I can't be bothered to put it back into the side pocket of my back pack.

Jerry

I run with one of these even for the shortest of runs:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/run/8/Runaid_Runners_Large_Feed_Bottle/5360009429/ 

Always have and it's made me kinda the opposite of Ennay. Running without anything in my hands feels really weird.

(The kind of turning up to work in the morning and realizing you haven't put your pants on, weird)

For longer runs (10+ miles) I used to use the Amphipod Velocity

http://www.onetri.com/amphipod-fulltilt-velocity-bottle-pack-p-2518.html

Like Jason said, this had a load of bounce and the bottle kept falling out - It was/is crap.

So I switched to the Amphipod profile lite

http://www.zombierunner.com/store/product1714.html#1714

It's going to be way too heavy for some but I'm a hydro-holic and it really works for me.

http://www.zombierunner.com/store/product1714.html#1714

2017 Goals
              1) Run more than 231 miles
              2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

C-R

or then there is the fact that carrying anything in my hands annoys the shit out of me.

+1en

Unless you are running trail ultras why would you carry. There are more than enough options. I kid you not I passed two people wearing camelbacks on a 10k last year. A 10k with water stations. Ugh

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

A Saucy Wench

+1en

Unless you are running trail ultras why would you carry. There are more than enough options. I kid you not I passed two people wearing camelbacks on a 10k last year. A 10k with water stations. Ugh

I carry on most of my long training runs.  I prefer to just go on a single long loop in the country rather than tiny little loops.  Plus in the winter here the water fountains are shut and stopping by home is NOT an option.  Getting away from the family once is hard enough!

I carried on my first couple marathons and hm's before I got comfortable.  My first HM ever the only rest stop after mile 3 was at mile 9 at the top of a 4 mile long hill and all they had was red bull.  Carbonation.  Nearly vomited. I got very leery of depending on races for a couple years after that.

Jason, I get a spot of chafe from my camelbak (I have the waist pack not the shoulder) but a spot of bodyglide takes care of it.

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

C-R

Hell I get that and understand. I used to run with a Nathan at one time. Fist the bottle and the the multi belt. My point is that we tend to rely too much on extras. I run in some sprase places but accomodate. I've run up to 15 without the need for water if the conditions are right and not a race. Crap I've even stopped in local gas stations and the people don't mind getting a dring from the fountain. Guess it gives them something to talk about. Like I said for remote runs I get it and would favor a multi bottle Nathan. I just don't get it for urban or road races. IMO.

"Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

Jason, I get a spot of chafe from my camelbak (I have the waist pack not the shoulder) but a spot of bodyglide takes care of it.

I'm famous for missing a spot with the body glide.  my skin has the toughness of a newborn.... I'm weak sauce.

today I managed to have my jacket chafe the hair line on the back of my neck. Gah... I need a body glide suit.... à la spray tan.

The carry bottle is working for me now..... but I'm not sure how it will work out on some 20 milers.

A Saucy Wench

I'm famous for missing a spot with the body glide.  my skin has the toughness of a newborn.... I'm weak sauce.

today I managed to have my jacket chafe the hair line on the back of my neck. Gah... I need a body glide suit.... à la spray tan.

The carry bottle is working for me now..... but I'm not sure how it will work out on some 20 milers.

I have often wished for a spraybooth for bodyglide.

A Saucy Wench

Hell I get that and understand. I used to run with a Nathan at one time. Fist the bottle and the the multi belt. My point is that we tend to rely too much on extras. I run in some sprase places but accomodate. I've run up to 15 without the need for water if the conditions are right and not a race. Crap I've even stopped in local gas stations and the people don't mind getting a dring from the fountain. Guess it gives them something to talk about. Like I said for remote runs I get it and would favor a multi bottle Nathan. I just don't get it for urban or road races. IMO.

yeah, just wait until they serve red bull at your next marathon. 

C-R

I read that and thought "what a crock". The RD should be forced to do a Red Bull mile as punishment. I tried that stuff one time and couldn't drink a second swig. I would rather drink water from the Ohio River.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ha...I'm just as bad.  I had a spot of chafing on my neck a week or so ago from sweatsickles in my hair.  Seriously, ice formations at my neckline chafed me.  What the fuck kind of wuss gets chafed from their own hair (oh, the same one who is allergic to her own sweat and developed eczema around her eyes).

I have done best with the Amphipod full-tilt bottle--and SportShield liberally applied to my lower back.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay