1000 Miles Running, 1000 Miles Biking

2009 Year to date totals (Read 744 times)

jules2

Thank you I was more surprised than anyone in case you didn't see the report heres the link. http://www.runningahead.com/groups/hmt/Forum/a385d7996fc34f3aa158062be492d28c Hows the weather with you, we seem to have moved from Winter to late Spring in about two weeks today was the first day I cycled without gloves

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

One year had my birthday been a week earlier I would have won the next age class up I blamed my mother and she said she wished I'd never been born let alone born earlier. Big grin Thanks for the link. Well done and good luck with the Duathlon - please post a report for that one! Weather has turned cold again and we are back in single digits at night. Yesterday, it was about 18 with solid 10MPH winds - but the sun was out and it really didn't feel that bad when the wind was not in my face. We are in a melt / freeze cycle and the road conditions are much worse than when it was just snow, but I do believe we will have an early Spring this year, and I'm starting to believe that I will be feeling stronger by then and be able to get back up to speed with my training. I haven't managed to fit in biking yet, but hoping it will be more feasible in another month.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
      Thyroid Support Group

My bike is my therapist

Here are the updates. I'll spare you the tears and excuses. I'm just an expert procrastinator. Undecided Jules...you da man!! Glad your hamstring cooperated for the half marathon. Good work.Big grin andsmit and hokieesq are on the heels of the bike bunny. Pedal harder. You'll catch him on the next hill. My running has been nil. Undecided I've really been concentrating on the mountain bike lately and had my first race this year on Sat. Weather was perfect. Recent rain made the course a little slippery at times. http://www.bmcc.us/6wc.htm Stick to your schedules. I know it's early in the year but don't let the bunnies get too far ahead. Year to date totals
        "Psychotic speed and you'll crash, over caution will get you last. "
        5000 Mile Club
        Half Marathon Trainers

jules2

Croydon, thanks for the update it has reminded me to update my cycling mileages. I haven't been running much but my leg seems better so its back to some serious tarmac pounding after my next half on Sunday. I foolishly entered the British National Duathlon Championships on Sunday there were some serious athletes in it as it was a world championship qualifier I finished in 2.25.00 to be honest I took the opening run quite steady as I didn't want to risk injury. Had I trained the way I wanted to I could possibly have qualified in my age group but thats life. The winner ran the first 10k ( which was round a country park and had some grass and gravel tracks ) in 30.03! Then a hilly 40k bike in 1.03.17 and finished the 5k final run in 16.44

Jules, glad to hear that your leg is better! Croyden - I was seriously thinking of leaving this group Sad I'm still adjusting to running and strength training and just can't seem to find the additional energy to get the biking in. There is no way I'm going to be close to 1000 there. But - since you haven't got any running in yet, maybe I'll stick around. It is motivation to me at least, that I want to see my bike line without a magnifying glass Tongue MTA: Jules nice job with your half last Sunday - how's the leg now?

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
            Thyroid Support Group

jules2

Chenille join Croydon and do it as a team! The leg is still nowhere near right but I have the name of someone who might help so fingers crossed. With the short span of good weather you get its always going to be hard to get the cycling in but just think you only need 10 X 100 mile cycle rides to hit the target. I must admit since I've been running more I miss the long bike rides, my club go out every Saturday of the year and do around 60 / 80 miles but always stop at the same cafe. Its become that much of a fixture the cafe owner comes to our annual dinner. My problem is I don't have time on Saturdays. Funnily enough I find it hard to keep the running going from the Spring onwards as I'm so busy ( I grow most of my fruit and veg ) and Winter has always been when I have the time to run. This is especially the case now I have a job that involves working in London and staying down there a few times a month. On the 5 May I have my first 10 mile cycle time trial of the year and from the week after that we have one on Tuesday nights and one on Thursday until late August. What with that and the local league road running races and the odd Mountain Bike race I don't have time to train.

My bike is my therapist

Croyden - I was seriously thinking of leaving this group Sad I'm still adjusting to running and strength training and just can't seem to find the additional energy to get the biking in. There is no way I'm going to be close to 1000 there. But - since you haven't got any running in yet, maybe I'll stick around. It is motivation to me at least, that I want to see my bike line without a magnifying glass Tongue
                Oh I don't see me making my running goal without some serious cutting back on the bike. Sad I have about another week on this insane work schedule and I've been concentrating a lot of time on the mountain bike lately. I have a few serious rides coming up and haven't considered running. I feel like if I have time to run I should be on the bike to get ready for these rides.Smile I think this is the first time I've motivated someone by *not* doing something.Big grin
                5000 Mile Club
                Half Marathon Trainers

geekfarm@centurytel.net

Oh I don't see me making my running goal without some serious cutting back on the bike. Sad I feel like if I have time to run I should be on the bike to get ready for these rides.Smile .Big grin
                  I'm just the opposite. I feel I'm short changing myself if I'm on the bike. My main focus is the running. A friend wants me to ride a 200 mile one day ride July 11th and i have a marathon on June 7th. Hard to get ready for both. And I sit on 84 miles of riding.

jules2

I'm just the opposite. I feel I'm short changing myself if I'm on the bike. My main focus is the running. A friend wants me to ride a 200 mile one day ride July 11th and i have a marathon on June 7th. Hard to get ready for both. And I sit on 84 miles of riding.
                    Buzz I'd suggest you get new friendsWink 200 miles in a day is serious going whats the route like? The other year I did 125 in a day ( mainly into a headwind ) and it was tough.

geekfarm@centurytel.net

http://www.cascade.org/EandR/stp/STP_Details.cfm It's Seattle to Portland, a big event around here. I've done it twice, but only the two day ride. It's a friend that likes to try and keep uping the ante on stupid things to do. There really isn't many hills, it is a nice easy ride for two days. A couple of years ago I did a one day ride of 156 miles and 10,000 feet of climbing so he has now come up with this. But that was when I had more interest in riding than running, and with a lot more miles under my belt.

jules2

http://www.cascade.org/EandR/stp/STP_Details.cfm It's Seattle to Portland, a big event around here. I've done it twice, but only the two day ride. It's a friend that likes to try and keep uping the ante on stupid things to do. There really isn't many hills, it is a nice easy ride for two days. A couple of years ago I did a one day ride of 156 miles and 10,000 feet of climbing so he has now come up with this. But that was when I had more interest in riding than running, and with a lot more miles under my belt.
                        I find running helps with mountain biking but not so much with road work, In my experience with the lack of training its your bottom not your belt you want to worry about. With a straightline route it all depends on the wind normally we all do circular routes so things average out having a headwind / tailwind will make a huge differnce. If you do it good luck and let me know how you get on.

geekfarm@centurytel.net

Did a 64 mile ride today, and you said it, my ass feels it.

jules2

Did a 64 mile ride today, and you said it, my ass feels it.
                            Well done but imagine three times the distance and three times the pain! I did about 25 miles "mountain biking" with Mrs Jules but she tends to walk a lot ( just because there was about 3 inches of sand ) She couldn't ride a bike until she passed 40 and is the only person I know who can cycle up steeper hills than she dare ride down, she claims if she's going up a hill she's not afraid on the bike running away with her? But she married me so she's clearly not right in the head.

My bike is my therapist

'bout time!! Roll eyes Yea, finally got the totals up. Myself, I've been doing lots of riding and no, none, nada bit of running. hokieesq and jules are kicking bunny butt. Big grin Chenille, looks like your on the heels of the running bunny! Wink Guys, this year is almost half over. Shocked Shocked Don't let the bunny get too far away. Wink Year to date totals
                              5000 Mile Club
                              Half Marathon Trainers

jules2

Croydon, nice to hear from you I must get some more cycling in myself. At the start of June two of my friends are getting married in Borrowdale in the English Lake District ( you can see the type of terrain on Google ) and I'm camping up there for the week to get some running / cycling in. The reception starts after the lake swim, mountain bike ride and fell run and as we are in an isolated location the intention is to party all night.. Have a 10k running race around Oxford on Sunday the views are supposed to be good. Chenille, hows life "up North"?