1000 Miles Running, 1000 Miles Biking

2009 Year to date totals (Read 744 times)

Croyden, you continue to inspire me with your running! As you can see, I have yet to get back on my bike, but I am making good progress with my running and am currently chasing a new PR in my strength training - this is a goal that I had set for myself a year ago, and after a number of setbacks am finally making consistent progress. I'm really excited that I might actually achieve it! Jules, weather here is amazing! We went from fall to summer - no spring at all, but I'm not complaining. Weather has been mid-50's to low 60's - perfect running weather. I'm recovering from a nasty virus, but hope to run a 12K in 3 weeks. Not planning a lot of races, I would like to get a nice base going this year, so I can train for real next year. Are you all healed up?

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
    Thyroid Support Group

geekfarm@centurytel.net

Love the avatar. Is that your backyard?

jules2

Croyden, you continue to inspire me with your running! As you can see, I have yet to get back on my bike, but I am making good progress with my running and am currently chasing a new PR in my strength training - this is a goal that I had set for myself a year ago, and after a number of setbacks am finally making consistent progress. I'm really excited that I might actually achieve it! Jules, weather here is amazing! We went from fall to summer - no spring at all, but I'm not complaining. Weather has been mid-50's to low 60's - perfect running weather. I'm recovering from a nasty virus, but hope to run a 12K in 3 weeks. Not planning a lot of races, I would like to get a nice base going this year, so I can train for real next year. Are you all healed up?
        Afraid not still got a stiff leg and the entire familly has been suffering from a really bad cold, I know where your weather is as it has turned bitterly cold here.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

My bike is my therapist

Croyden, you continue to inspire me with your running! ...
          Big grin Smile Big grin Smile Big grin Smile Big grin Smile Big grin And like you, I have set some goals in the mountain bike arena that are going pretty well. You keep runnin' and I'll keep ridn' Big grin Everyone has different goals and this is a great place to share them. Smile
          "Psychotic speed and you'll crash, over caution will get you last. "
          5000 Mile Club
          Half Marathon Trainers
            Love the avatar. Is that your backyard?
            thanks! I think that shot was taken in Fairbanks, so kinda my backyard Wink Croyden - do you have a big race you are training for this summer? Details? Jules - sorry to hear that you still have issues with your leg - I'm sure the cold weather is not helping that at all.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
            Thyroid Support Group

My bike is my therapist

Croyden - do you have a big race you are training for this summer? Details?
              Funny you should ask. Wink Big grin

It seems one race is training for the next. I just finished the Assault on Mt Mitchell this past Monday. That was a road century starting in Spartanburg, SC and going through Marion, NC, then to the top of Mt Mitchell. 7 hours and 45 minutes after leaving Spartanburg I reached the summit with14,800 feet of cumulative climb. WhewTongue

This weekend is the Burn 24 Hour Mountain Bike Challenge in North Wilkesboro, NC. Same place the 6 Hours of Warrior Creek was held.

Next month on the 20th is the Cowbell Challenge Marathon. A 50 mile mountain bike race. Not sure why they decided to call it "marathon" but it sounded like fun.

The following weekend is the Blood Sweat and Gears road century. This one is in the mountains near Valle Crucis, NC. That means my legs probably won't be very happy after that one.Sad

July 25th is the Off Road Assault on Mt Mitchell. This one climbs 11,000 feet cumulative over 60 miles of fire roads and single track. Again, leave the fun meter home.Tongue I haven't a clue which cog I'll use for this one.

Apparently I couldn't find anything to do in August so on Sept the 9th is the Shenandoah Mountain 100. A mountain bike century near the Shenandoah State Park in Virginia.

Two weeks later is the Bridge to Bridge Challenge. A road century from Lenoir, NC to Grandfather Mountain. Similar to the Mt Mitchell Assault.

The third of Oct is the Tour De Pumpkin. A metric road century (62 miles). The following weekend is the Tree Shaker 12 Hour Challenge. That's on the Anne Springs Close Greenway mountain bike trails near Fort Mill, SC.

So, between sitting on the Cannondale R400 ( I have Ultegra clipless pedals) and the Gary Fisher Rig single speed with a few local races interspersed, you can see why my running has tanked. At the beginning of November we go back on that insane work schedule that will last till the first of the year. Yea...Happy Thanksgiving and Merry Christmas.

Most of these I've already registered for because they have a limited number of riders. The few others I'll wait till race day and if weather cooperates jump in. Big grin Hmmm......never seen em' all on one page Confused
              5000 Mile Club
              Half Marathon Trainers
                YIKES!!!!!! Haven't looked through all of them yet, that first elevation graph scared me! Thanks for taking the time to post all the links, I will enjoy going through them. Bikers are crazy - like I didn't already know that Tongue ah, but they are great peeps too Smile and, I want a see a picture of you after one of those races.... Evil grin

Go With The Flow
                Thyroid Support Group

My bike is my therapist

...Bikers are crazy - like I didn't already know that Tongue ah, but they are great peeps too Smile
                  Certainly a unique bunch Yes
                  ...and, I want a see a picture of you after one of those races.... Evil grin
                  You got it! Big grin I'll try to post a short write up on em'. Should start a new thread. Wink I think we've hijacked this one enough.Big grin
                  5000 Mile Club
                  Half Marathon Trainers

jules2

Croydon, Use this one theres plenty of room. I'm impressed with the type and amount of events you should either be as fit as a butchers dog or knackered by the end of Summer. Did my first 10 mile time trial of the year tonight, I think my last was August managed 27:43 which I suppose is not bad considering the lack of cycling training but at least it means I have plenty of scope for imptrovement.

My bike is my therapist

Here are the totals so far. We're half way through the year.

jules and hokieesq are continuing to keep a good pace. Keep it up guys.

And a welcome to FrancesRe. We're a quiet bunch but we don't bite...promise.

Year to date totals

5000 Mile Club
                      Half Marathon Trainers

504.9 running .......73 biking

biking wabbit - you better watch your back!

....well, maybe in a few months.....

Happy 4th everyone!

Ok - not everyone, Jules - you just have a nice weekend

Go With The Flow
                        Thyroid Support Group

My bike is my therapist

Here are the totals. And on the third day of the month!  

jules and hokieesq are still ahead of the bunnies. Good work guys.

Year to date totals

5000 Mile Club
                          Half Marathon Trainers

jules2

504.9 running .......73 biking

biking wabbit - you better watch your back!

....well, maybe in a few months.....

Happy 4th everyone!

Ok - not everyone, Jules - you just have a nice weekend

In all the worlds history there have only been two events on the 4th July, firstly we lost control of one of our colonies on the other side of the pond and secondly Mrs Jules was born.  So as you see I have got something to celebrate.

My bike is my therapist

In all the worlds history there have only been two events on the 4th July, firstly we lost control of one of our colonies on the other side of the pond and secondly Mrs Jules was born.  So as you see I have got something to celebrate.

Happy birthday Mrs Jules!!!!

Having some British heritage in the houlsehold we save a few fireworks for Guy Fawkes night

5000 Mile Club
                              Half Marathon Trainers
                                Happy birthday, Mrs.Jules!

Go With The Flow
                                Thyroid Support Group