1000 Miles Running, 1000 Miles Biking

2009 Year to date totals (Read 744 times)

Eternal Rookie

I’m in a weird place. This century (did triathlons in the previous one) I’ve used the bike a little to cross train, but mainly as a replacement for running when I’m injured. I haven’t been injured as much this year so the biking numbers have suffered and I’m way ahead of the bunny running (knock on wood). Now, when I say injured I mean “can’t run;” I’m injured right now, but that only keeps me from racing, I can still run, just not push it. The question in the back of my mind is whether I’d be better off hitting the bike for awhile (hard) or keep running at a sub par effort.
      Maybe you could do your hard work outs on the bike, and just do the running miles easy until you get through your injury. Hope whatever it is resolves quickly.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
      Thyroid Support Group

Eternal Rookie

True and that would probably help with the time factor (not enough of). My rule of thumb has been that’s it 4 bike miles to 1 run or at twice the time depending upon effort, but if I really hammered out there I could probably get in a good workout in a short period of time.

Actually had a good run today – was able to do a tempo pace, it was afterwards during the cool down when things started hurting.

My bike is my therapist

True and that would probably help with the time factor (not enough of). My rule of thumb has been that’s it 4 bike miles to 1 run or at twice the time depending upon effort, but if I really hammered out there I could probably get in a good workout in a short period of time.

Actually had a good run today – was able to do a tempo pace, it was afterwards during the cool down when things started hurting.

Take one part medium cadence, mix with flat to rolleing terrain, stir peddles for 90 minutes, then soak in cool water and let rest in fluffy chair

edit: rolleing, what is that?? How 'bout rolling.

"Psychotic speed and you'll crash, over caution will get you last. "
          5000 Mile Club
          Half Marathon Trainers

My bike is my therapist

Hey guys. No I didn't fall off the earth. I did fall off the continent. Got back from two weeks in France Sun. I'll answer your questions in advance: Yes, we had a good time. Yes, the weather was perfect. No, I didn't what to came back.

I survived the Off Road Assault on Mt. Mitchell a few days before we left. I'll post a writeup later.

Here are the yearly totals. 

hokieesq, jules, and Mikeco are kicking bunny butt.   A total of eight are ahead of the running bunny. He's choking in the dust.  Looks like I'm wearing the Lanterne Rouge jersey in the running category.

Year to date totals

5000 Mile Club
            Half Marathon Trainers

Thanks, LR

Looking forward to your write up, and glad to hear you had a great time in France - would love to see some pictures.....

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
              Thyroid Support Group

1002 miles on the bike!!!!!!!!

Oh, wait - that's since Jan 2007....

Go With The Flow
                Thyroid Support Group

jules2

Croydon, you should have dropped in, France is only just down the road from me!

Chenille, whats the weather like in Alaska and are the flies bad? I must admit they are the one thing that puts me off visiting the "far north" the Lake District and Scotland are bad enough but you must get them far worse.

Managed to get my running back on track ( don't you just love a good pun ) and I really must start on cranking up my cycling ( another pun ) as I've been through a bit of a bad patch one way or another in the last couple of months but my long term ( 18 month ) hamstring injury has vanished, who says miracles don't happen?

I have a 10 mile road race, a 20 mile fell race, a 5 mile night trail race and a half marathon lined up in the next two months.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

Hi Jules - weather is cooling, but we are still seeing some nice days. Flies you ask? I've been complaining about feeling like flypaper - .  That's quite a schedule - 20 mile fell race - yikes! Do you have a link?

I'm hoping to get in 13 miles running and 25 on the bike by the end of the month. That will put me 100 miles shy of my bike goal, but I think I can still get to a 1000 if I stay focused, but it's going to be close!

If things start to shape up for me, I want to try to race a 10K at the end of September. That's looking iffy right now, but ya never know.

Really glad to hear that your hamstring injury is behind you...

Go With The Flow
                    Thyroid Support Group

jules2

Chenille heres a link ( I hope )we had someone in each event but the climbers had to drop out ( another good pun )

http://www.nineedges.co.uk/

Mikeco, we have got roughly the same amount of running and cycling in this year and I've just realised you are a fellow Brit, how about posting the odd message  here or in the UK Runners forum?

Jules - that looks familiar - did you do that one last year? Bike?

Go With The Flow
                        Thyroid Support Group

jules2

Jules - that looks familiar - did you do that one last year? Bike?

Spot on, so next year do I walk or climb?

My bike is my therapist

Here are the totals.

hokieesq has crossed both 1000 mile finish lines. Good job.

jules and Mikeco are ahead of both bunnies. jules, the running bunny is awful close.

Chenille, I'm not sure I have your bike total right. Let me know.

Year to date totals

5000 Mile Club
                            Half Marathon Trainers

jules2

I know I'm just keeping it at bay, had a rest last week as the previous Saturday I ran the fell race and my legs locked up afterwards. 20 miles 3:37:00 17th out of 68 so quite happy with that.

Next Sunday, cycle 7 miles, park up and run half marathon, cycle back 7 miles and act as sweep bike for the marathon, so 7 slow miles back to the finish, then 7 miles home and then down the local curry house for curry and beer!

My bike is my therapist

I know I'm just keeping it at bay, had a rest last week as the previous Saturday I ran the fell race and my legs locked up afterwards. 20 miles 3:37:00 17th out of 68 so quite happy with that.

Next Sunday, cycle 7 miles, park up and run half marathon, cycle back 7 miles and act as sweep bike for the marathon, so 7 slow miles back to the finish, then 7 miles home and then down the local curry house for curry and beer!

Finished in the top quarter...good going.  I'll have to agree, you should rest.. 

Curry and beer! Can't wait for our next visit.

5000 Mile Club
                                Half Marathon Trainers