1000 Miles Running, 1000 Miles Biking

Major setback... (Read 413 times)

My bike is my therapist

My running has been iffy this year partially due to a hernia that has been bothering me on my long runs lately. I've had enough and spoke to a doctor last week who scheduled me for surgery on the 15th. That will put a 3-4 week dent in my riding and about 4-6 weeks on the running. Sad Luckily the surgeon is also a runner/rider and said I could probably get on a stationary bike (I mentioned my fluid trainer) in as little as two weeks. Smile For now I'm glad I have a comfortable lead on the bike bunny and my mileage increases a lot during the summer. I may have to accept defeat to the running bunny. Confused It will be a slow recovery in the running arena and I would have to get in some serious mileage to catch him before years end.
    "Psychotic speed and you'll crash, over caution will get you last. "
    5000 Mile Club
    Half Marathon Trainers
      Sorry to hear that Sad At least you will be good to go once you get the hernia repaired. Sending good wishes your way for a speedy recovery. Maybe we'll cut you some slack and you can convert, let's see, 6 miles biking to 1 mile run? Clowning around IF you don't make the running miles, you won't be the only one

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
      Thyroid Support Group

jules2

Good luck, it depends where your hernia is and how its being fixed. I had one in my left groin but when I went to the consultant he found two more I didn't know about in my belly button. I had them done by keyhole and he reinforced the side of my right groin "while he was there" to prevent me getting one, and he double reinforced my belly button as I was active. It was the belly button that caused problems as its at the core of your body. If it had just been the groin one I could have run within a couple of days apart from the recovery from the anesthetic which I find kicks in a couple of days later. I had the operation in the evening and left hospital the next morning.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

My bike is my therapist

Sending good wishes your way for a speedy recovery.
          Thanks Smile
          Maybe we'll cut you some slack and you can convert, let's see, 6 miles biking to 1 mile run? Clowning around
          You got it!...Hey, that sounds familiar. Wink
          Good luck, it depends where your hernia is and how its being fixed.
          Right side. He'll fix it with a small incision.
          I had the operation in the evening and left hospital the next morning.
          I'll go in that morning. He said it would take a couple of hours (I'll get to sleep through it), and someone can take me home afterwards to enjoy the medication. Big grin
          5000 Mile Club
          Half Marathon Trainers
            Good luck tomorrow. Looks like you've earned a little rest time. Smile

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
            Thyroid Support Group

Croyden, how are you doing?

Go With The Flow
              Thyroid Support Group

jules2

Cheniile, no reply maybe they have broken Croydon up for spare parts?

Really - he should have time to check in an give us an update Tongue Croyden - we want details!!!!! Hope you are feeling better Smile

Go With The Flow
                  Thyroid Support Group

My bike is my therapist

Sorry guys for not checking in. I've put things on hold but should have kept you informed. I'm doing great apart from being grounded. Undecided Everything went just as planned. Saw the doctor today and he was very pleased with my recovery. I managed to stop taking the pain meds withing three days. Just been doing some light work around the house. I've cleaned my bikes to the point you could use the rings or gears to eat with Big grin It's going to be a struggle to stay off the bike. The doc did say I could try the stationary trainer in a week or so but he didn't want me on the road for fear of an accident. The running will have to wait for about six weeks because of the impact forces of just running. So it's just a wait game now. Build the miles up slowly. Don't do anything too soon and look at things long term. That was my first time being admitted into a hospital, and this was outpatient surgery. What an experience. Smile
                    5000 Mile Club
                    Half Marathon Trainers

jules2

Croydon, Just a quick message as I'm going out for a run, glad to hear you are getting better. If you are bored you can always fly over and polish my bikes.

Darn you Jules, I was going to ask to bring my bike over to be cleaned Big grin Glad to hear you are recovering well from the surgery. Smile

Go With The Flow
                        Thyroid Support Group

I'm glad to hear that everything went well with the surgery. That's definitely good news that you can start riding on the stationary trainer soon! Hopefully all goes well and you're back on the roads in no time.

My bike is my therapist

Thanks guys. I feel like I could ride today but I'm just going to have to be patient. Undecided Believe me you'll be the first to know when the wheels start turning. Smile I've also started planning my next half marathon in Dec with the hopes of being ready for the Myrtle Beach Marathon in Feb. Big grin
                            5000 Mile Club
                            Half Marathon Trainers

My bike is my therapist

Did 20 minutes on the fluid trainer yesterday. Nice easy pace. Felt great. Had to really hold back. As I was riding everything is fine. It's after you stop when you find out if you've over done it so I'll keep increasing my time little by little. Big grin Definitely feeling better now. Big grin
                              5000 Mile Club
                              Half Marathon Trainers

jules2

Things can only get better. My brother had a bad motorcycle crash and to recover used a turbo trainerthe first time he blacked out with the pain and came to about 10 minutes later still on the bike. Then much later his towel fell in the rear mech and the wheel stopped so quickly he nearly shot off the bike into his window. I've got one and hardy use it.