1000 Miles Running, 1000 Miles Biking

Welcome! (Read 535 times)

Are you an avid duathlete/triathlete? Are you just getting started at running and/or biking but still hope to log a decent number of miles by foot and tire this year? Excellent. Then let's do this! My own background lies in running and after taking many years off from the sport, I returned and successfully completed 1000 miles in 2007. One thing I did not do was go the entire year free of injury and instead of increasing the mileage in 2008, I'm hoping to cross train. That's my primary reason for hoping for 1000 miles on the bike. If all goes well, perhaps I'll throw my hat in the ring in a duathlon or two. Perhaps not. But I thought it would be nice to have a group that would motivate me (and others like me) to run 1000 miles while also making sure that an adequate amount of time is devoted to cross training (in this case biking). I'm hoping there will be enough interest to create a nice little group and as long as it remains a small enough number of people, I'd be happy to work on some way to track everyone's year-to-date biking mileage in addition to the running totals already being kept by runningahead.com. If anyone has any suggestions, please feel free to share them with me. 1000 miles on the bike is relatively modest in comparison to 1000 miles of running but I thought 1000 + 1000 sounded like a good place to start. All of that said, if you've decided to join the group, welcome to the 1000 + 1000 group!
      I also dealt with an injury in 2007 and look to cross train more in 2008. Although the injury was due to something other than running, running (and not going to the doctor) made the problem worse. I'm still dealing with the injury and it has been about eight or nine months... Anyway, I know a way to track the bike riding; however, it is not on this site. So, I hope you can find a way to track the bike milage here (otherwise, I could suggest a different site).
        Hi! I am soooo glad to see this group! I'm recovering from a stress fracture( 4 .5 weeks) - and right now, biking/rowing is about the only xt I can do. I'm new to biking, and would love any help/encouragement I can get! I currently have my bike on a trainer, and have a sensor that tracks mileage. I think I am going to have to take an extended break before I can think about running again Sad . In the meantime - I have switched my log to make biking my primary activity - it was driving me nuts to have no bars in my summary Wink I still have to take it easy, so just focusing on building endurance at a steady state. My goal is to get up to around 80 miles/week biking - I think it will take awhile as my derriere is rebelling Big grin Are you interested in a pace bunny for biking miles? MTA: To make biking your primary - go to options - log preferences - then select "bike" as primary - you have a choice of run -bike - swim. If you choose bike, then running will move to the bottom screen under cross training on your summary page. If you leave running as your primary, your bike mile stats (week/month/year) are listed under cross training - and they still show up as weekly totals on your calendar view. Please excuse me if you already knew all that.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
        Thyroid Support Group

Thanks Chenille and DimMak! And a big "welcome" to everyone's that's joined us so far! I'm still not sure as to what will work best for us to track miles but I would definitely love a pace bunny for both running and biking miles. Not sure if that's possible through RA or where I can find that information out. Do you know more about the pace bunnies (more specifically, how to go about getting one and if the site can support one for biking as well), Chenille? Any and all help is definitely appreciated. As a worst-case scenario, I'm willing to track people's bike mileage manually by checking each member's calendar for the bike totals (unfortunately, this would require that all members make their logs public and I'm not sure everyone will want to do that). I could then create a free website and provide a direct link in a forum post so that it's easy to locate. Depending on people's preference, I could update it weekly or even every couple of days. Just an idea, though. If we can do everything with the tools available through runningahead, that would definitely be the best and most efficient option.
            I'll check and see if we can get 2 pace bunnies

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
            Thyroid Support Group

As a worst-case scenario, I'm willing to track people's bike mileage manually by checking each member's calendar for the bike totals (unfortunately, this would require that all members make their logs public and I'm not sure everyone will want to do that). I could then create a free website and provide a direct link in a forum post so that it's easy to locate. Depending on people's preference, I could update it weekly or even every couple of days. Just an idea, though. If we can do everything with the tools available through runningahead, that would definitely be the best and most efficient option.
              Here's a couple of options: Your log preferences will allow you to make your log 1) available only to your groups, and not to the general public. 2) You can make your log available as password protected. 3) we can start a thread with weekly totals and sticky it to the top of the forum (owner/admin needs to do this) then everyone can just go in and update their own data There is a page that tracks "The Road to Boston". It follows progress of several different pace groups on 1 page. If we can't do a dual pace bunny - clicking to a page that shows both charts might work to. The BQ page updates automatically - don't know what is involved with setting it up, but I'll ask around and see what I can find out.

Go With The Flow
              Thyroid Support Group

I am a runner and cyclist but have not done duathlons. I would like to do this particular challenge. It seems like every year one of the two lags sorely behind the other so this is a good way to make sure I am doing both. I am currently training for a marathon in May and have an opportunity to do a mtn. bike tour in Moab in April so this seems like a good place for me to be.
                  OK, I'll give this group a try. I'm 61 and did 800 running, 600 cycling in 2007, but wasn't really trying that hard to build mileage. I ran 1000+ miles once a few years ago, but found that my running performance improved and I had less injury problems when I reduced my running and took up cycling. So why would I want to try for 1000/1000? Mainly, I'm retiring in a few months and expect to be able to have more time for both activities, especially cycling which I'll be able to do any time of the day (I doubt that I'll ever be an afternoon runner!). I can even run a few miles in the morning and get in some cycling in the afternoon. One disadvantage on both counts is that I live in Michigan, so cycling is definitely out from November through March or so, and it's also hard to get running in consistently in the winter. But if I did it once, I can probably do it again. Big grin Glad to meet you all!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

pfriese

I with Craneium on this. I seem to be able to run or bike, but not do both. Three years ago, I logged ~1000 miles running and 300 miles on the bike. The next year it was ~2000 on the bike and about 300 running. Last year it was 1750 miles running and 280 miles on the bike. This year I'd like to try for > 1500 miles running and > 1000 miles on the bike. Maybe this group will help acheive these goals. Paul
                      Chris - Pace Bunny/Bunnies not an option right now. RA is swamped with all the new data in short time frame, and some of the pace bunnies in other groups are really slowing things down. I think eventually that problem will be worked out - but for now, better not to add to it. How about starting a sticky thread that we can post our mileage run/bike totals for starters. Do you know about Google Docs ? I was thinking of setting one up to write my rehab training plan - but it looks like it might work for tracking the group too? Just guessing - what I know about the complexities of programming would fill.....a thimble Blush Big grin HTH 12/31 - 1/6 = run/ 0 bike/56 YTD run/0 bike/53.1

Go With The Flow
                      Thyroid Support Group

Thanks Chenille. Yeah, I posted something in the requests section of the forum and Eric said the same regarding the pace bunny/bunnies. This might prove slightly more difficult than I had originally imagined. I'm hoping to make this work without making people do additional work (such as posting totals in the forum)... unless everyone is in agreement about said additional work. If everyone is willing to make their training logs viewable to their own groups, I'd gladly pull the running and biking totals from there. I can then see about using Google Docs to display the accumulated info.
                          Well, between my retirement being postponed by 5 months and missing the last 6 weeks with an injury (and now the flu!), there's no way I can hope for 1000 running miles this year, so I'm dropping out of the group. Maybe next year if you're still around. Smile

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Sorry to hear you are leaving, Doug. Hope you reconsider. Personally, I will probably be lucky to get a 100 miles never mind 1000 this year, so you certainly wouldn't be the only one with low running miles. Good luck to you Smile

Go With The Flow
                            Thyroid Support Group

jules2

My computer has crashed and I'm in London at my daughters. Just done an early morning 6 miles around Hyde Park. I will log this weeks running and cycling mileage when I get my computer fixed. It was so cold this morning I felt the breath of the running pace bunny down the back of my neck

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

Welcome to the group, Bugs34! Big grin