1000 Miles Running, 1000 Miles Biking

Checking In (Read 222 times)

Hey, guys!  Long time no see.  It makes me really happy to see you guys are still going strong on here.  Smile  Last time I was on here, I had just been given the ok to do some biking back in the summer of '08.  At the time, I was cautiously optimistic...   but things just didn't pan out.  It wasn't until May of 2010 that I really started running again.  Crazy how time flies.  So I managed to finish the year with 1150 miles...   but hardly did any biking at all.  I might start using RA again this year and it would be cool to meet some of the new folks while catching up with the ones I haven't seen in a while.  Congrats to all who met their goals in 2010 and good luck in 2011!

Chris

Eternal Rookie

Very cool to have you back. Biking has kind of gone to the wayside for me as I find it easier to get in 4 – 8 running on my lunch hour, but I think that it is an important cross training tool, so maybe I’ll post some decent numbers this year. When it isn’t snowing…   

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Chris, were you injured?  Glad you're back. Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Thanks, guys.  My focus will continue to be on running as well...   pretty much for the same reason.  It's much easier to go for a run during lunch even in the snow and cold weather.

It took me a long time to get back on the horse after the micro-fracture procedure I had on my knee in '08.  No real injuries since then per se...    but it was tough to start over after losing all of my conditioning and being out of shape.  Wasn't until I established a goal last year that I was able to see it through.  Smile

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I wish you a successful year of running!  I badly sprained my ankle last June and was totally out of running for 5.5 weeks...but really my running was in the toilet for probably about 3 months.  In that time I embraced the bike (since my ankle tolerated that VERY well) and discovered that I'm actually a pretty natural cyclist (which is NOT the case for me as a runner).  So this year I'm really torn...I'm still doing a few duathlons, since they are fun.  But part of me sees a future with minimal running.  If criteriums didn't scare the shit out of me I think I'd be embracing that.  I may throw myself into time trials at some point.  I just wish there were more road races that didn't involve going in circles in a peloton.  I guess the logistics are the issue.

~ Sarah Kay

Hi Chris! Glad to see you back. I'm just starting back up running as well. I think it's going to be a few months before I attempt to throw some biking into the mix. Still, I like to hang around here...just in case things go better than I expect. Wishing you a healthy training year

Cheryl

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
              Thyroid Support Group

jules2

Having failed by a whisker last year I'll throw my hat in the ring again this year ( and whilst doing so set a cliché record of two in 13 wordsClown )

Zoom Zoom I'm a poor cyclist but a good runner so if we blended together we'd end up with two unisex middle aged moderate runner / cyclists!

Nice to hear from you again Westward ER and Chenille.

This year my cycling club has a challenge for us to have a 100k ( 65 mile ) ride every month of the year below is a copy of my report of the first ride.

DAY 1

I thought I'd have a go at 100k today, all was well until near Sludge Hall when my rear mech decided to get intimate with my rear wheel. :oops:

Luckily I was able to junk the mech, shorten the chain and spin home. No harm done as it was my "Winter bike" which I recycle all my old bits on.

DAY 2

But never mind today girded my loins, dragged the reserve bike out and headed out to East Leicestershire ( or High Leicestershire as some call it :ugeek: ) via Beeby, Sludge Hall, Tilton, Oxey Farm, Loddington, Laude Abbey, Knossington,Cold Overton, Whissendine, Wymondham ( cafe break ) Waltham on the Wolds, Scalford, Holwell, Asfordby and then back down the Wreake Valley.

101.25K later I was back home looking like I had done Paris Roubaix on a wet day. A lot of ditches have been blocked due to the weather so every hollow seemed to be full of water and every farmer seemed to be keen to resurface the roads with mud to replace the mud that was washed away.

To top it off a van driver coming fast the other way put his inside wheels on the grass to make room and showered me in mud

The roads have been seriously damaged and there is a hole under the bridge near Walkers Woodyard in Syston that you could put a coffin in.

I can now put my feet up as I now have until the end of February to log my next 100k 8-)

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

xhristopher

I'm up for 1000/1000 again this year. I hope to dust off my bike sometime this spring once the snow is gone and I get this silly marathon I'm training for out of the way although I've stupidly already registered for another marathon next fall! With luck I'll get myself to a duathlon before summer.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Zoom Zoom I'm a poor cyclist but a good runner so if we blended together we'd end up with two unisex middle aged moderate runner / cyclists!

I can now put my feet up as I now have until the end of February to log my next 100k 8-)

NICE!!!  And we should find a duathlon relay! Big grin

~ Sarah Kay