1000 Miles Running, 1000 Miles Biking

newbie question (Read 536 times)

My bike is my therapist

Hey - finally found a pair of shoes!!!!!
    Hey, good for you. Looks perfect for what you planned. Keep it up and we'll make a "clipless" rider out of you yet. Big grin
    "Psychotic speed and you'll crash, over caution will get you last. "
    5000 Mile Club
    Half Marathon Trainers
      Hey, good for you. Looks perfect for what you planned. Keep it up and we'll make a "clipless" rider out of you yet. Big grin Is Buzz your new partner. Maybe he can keep up. Wink
      Got new running shoes too - they're called "Infiniti" Wink I'm celebrating my return to walk/run - but I won't be logging any "runs" until they are 50% of my workout - still a couple of weeks away....

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
      Thyroid Support Group

I like the new shoes and I can tell a difference - much better than regular athletic shoes - BUT - my toes go numb...it's both feet - changing my foot position on the pedal during recovery intervals helps. Once they are "numb" just trying to wiggle them doesn't seem to help. Do I need more cushion in the shoe? I guess I need to try to relax my foot when it is "rising" ? Seems there is more to efficient biking form than I thought... Chris - how are you doing with your clipless pedals?

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
        Thyroid Support Group

My bike is my therapist

I like the new shoes and I can tell a difference - much better than regular athletic shoes - BUT - my toes go numb...it's both feet - changing my foot position on the pedal during recovery intervals helps. Once they are "numb" just trying to wiggle them doesn't seem to help. Do I need more cushion in the shoe? I guess I need to try to relax my foot when it is "rising" ? Seems there is more to efficient biking form than I thought...
          Welcome to the club. Before I started cycling I used an elliptical machine a lot at the gym. Problem was I couldn't stay on it for more than 45 mins to an hour because my toes would go numb. Angry I tried more socks, no socks, different shoes, nothing helped. I would do something else for 10-20 mins and get back on. I've noticed something similar on the bike. If the route is relatively flat or I maintain constant pressure on the peddles for a long time my toes will go numb. It does seem to help to pull the pedal with the rising foot and take all the pressure off. I've done 2 hr rides and had my toes go numb and I've gone almost 5 hrs and never noticed it. All I can suggest is try moving the cleats around on your shoes. I'm afraid I couldn't tell much difference. Sad
          "Psychotic speed and you'll crash, over caution will get you last. "
          5000 Mile Club
          Half Marathon Trainers
            If the route is relatively flat or I maintain constant pressure on the peddles for a long time my toes will go numb. Sad
            I think this is my problem on the trainer, because l don't seem to have this problem at the gym on the expresso bike - but then it is simulating hills, so I am changing "pressure" during the ride. I was looking back at the "travelling in circles" with the leg, and found that if I have my foot pointed down just a little, it seems my toes don't go as numb. When I am on the elliptical, I do spend some time going up on my toes instead of keeping my feet flat all the time, as well as doing intervals at different crossramp heights - haven't had too much of problem with toe numbness - I do up to an hour on the elliptical.

Go With The Flow
            Thyroid Support Group