1000 Miles Running, 1000 Miles Biking

Cannondale Warranty :) (Read 351 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Nice...and you can always do funky things with bar tape and bottle cages to give it more pizzaz.

What's the BB30 problem?  Is it related to bearings?  I've already trashed the one on the left side and I suspect the right one is starting to go, too.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

xhristopher

What's the BB30 problem?  Is it related to bearings?  I've already trashed the one on the left side and I suspect the right one is starting to go, too.

It's not a real problem but if it were BB30 I'd have to solve it.

The issue is that I already have Shimano English threaded bottom bracket to go with my Shimano Dura Ace 7800 cranks. With a BB30 frame I'd need an adaptor installed to work with my cranks because I'm not planning on getting new cranks.

So, the English threading of the old frame saves a few grams and saves a few bucks but I'd trade that for a newer and better frame. Hope that makes sense.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Total sense.  Everything's a trade-off, it seems.

~ Sarah Kay

xhristopher

OLD (1996 2.8)

NEW (2010 CAAD8)

It's an upgrade.

Sorry for the cheesy instagram shots.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

When you said blue and white I wasn't thinking it would look that sharp--I really like that!  I could see that with lime green tape (I'm sorta partial to that combo)...

<---

~ Sarah Kay

xhristopher

Not much progress but it looks like a bike.

Turns out I figured wrong about the seat tube. I need a 31.6 post so my 27.2 won't do. (New ones are 27.2.) That also means my carry over clamp on Ultegra FD and seat post collar won't fit either. I just put in an order for those items...

I also wasn't comfortable banging the crown race down on the carbon steerer so I'll take it in and have that done over the weekend. Once that is done I can finish most of the build. 

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I think that's going to be one helluva hot ride once all is said and done.  Looks like it was worth the wait! Smile

~ Sarah Kay

xhristopher

First Ride.

Bike shop charged $5 to pound down the crown race. I borrowed the seat post and seat collar from DW's mtn bike. No front derailleur. Stem still needs some cutting... I've still got some tweaks to make.

Despite running 15 miles in the morning I  had to give it a test drive.

It was surprisingly nice. It didn't seem overly ridged or stiff but was firm yet compliant. Very stable yet responsive. Under hard rear breaking I could see how the rear seat stays flexed vertically. That flex is what's supposed to save my back on the longer rides. I could tell my wheel-set was not up to par with the rest of the bike. Heck, I only paid 120 for the set because I thought it was going on the old bike. I also think I skimped on the seat...again intended for the old 'dale. Despite being a mix of Shimano, the 10 speed drivetrain was sooooo much better than what I was used to with my old Ultregra 9 speed.

The ride was smooth but, due to the morning's run, I didn't push anything. I'm looking forward to getting to know it better but this was a nice first outing.

How's this for a mixed bag of a gruppo?

Crankset: Dura Ace 7700 (last gen)

Rear derailleur: Ultegra 6600 (last gen)

Front derailleur: 105 5700 (current gen) - on the way

Cassette: 105 5700 (current gen)

Shifters: 105 5600 (last gen)

Chain: Ultegra: 6700 (current gen)

Brakes: 105 5500 (two gens old but w/ new pads)

This is what happens when you have lot's of time to search deals and low bid for stuff on ebay. Despite this it works great!

Frankenbikes rule, and it looks nice too. Glad to hear you are riding and happy with the bike, despite all the setbacks.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

That is a good lookin' ride! Cool

~ Sarah Kay

xhristopher

OK, further thoughts... Everything else is so crisp on the bike it's obvious the wheels are a weak link. I'm in no mood to buy a new wheel-set but if I decide to ultimately make the bike my daily ride for a few years I'd be wise to upgrade them to the level of everything else. The seat isn't long for the bike. That gets replaced first.

Whenever I see the insurance settlement from the 88 year old dude who ran the stop sign into me, I'll have a better idea of what sort of bike budget I've got.

When I picked up the new frame the shop's "tri guy"  brought out this Specialized Transition that was on closeout for me to look at. It's tempting. 

I'd love to do a comparison ride between my "new" bike and what I'd get in the 2-2500 range. I've got a feeling there won't be a huge difference. In fact, I think the geometry and ride is supposed to be very similar to a Specialized Tarmac, which is no slouch. Of course, a few longer rides will tell the ultimate truth. If it passes those tests I could see sticking with it and getting the Transition (or similar) instead. One nice thing about that Cannondale is that I don't have to treat it as if it's some expensive, precious, delicate bike. It's just a good tool for the job.

It's always possible I just take the family on vacation instead of buying a bike. Smile

xhristopher

Status update. 

I'm making friends with my 'dale. Not a lot of riding lately but I've noticed the new bike climbs much better than the old one. It's very smooth and fluid.

I've learned there are three versions of the CAAD8 (and I'm not counting the BB30 and non BB30 variants). The first, when it was top of the line, is the the one with "Made in the USA" on it. This one, when the CAAD9 was top of the line, is made in Asia and has a taller head tube, longer wheel base, and various tube tweaks, and rack eyelets. The current version has trickle down technology from the CAAD10.

I'm thinking, make that hoping, that extra few mm on the wheelbase might help take the edge off a bit and I can work around the taller head tube. It's nimble but not nervous.

Recently cut my steerer and left some room for adjustabilityness. It's now a bit lower than the stock CAAD8 and about the same position at the CAAD 10. Can't justify upgrading the stem unless I upgrade to larger diameter bars. No real wight savings to be found there, just stiffness.

Still waiting to get a new seat but so many things are asking for my money lately. The seat can wait a little longer.

Here's the hip instragram pic. 

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ahhh...very nice!  Funny you say the seat can wait longer...that's the first thing I upgrade on any bike.  I think I've finally narrowed it down to the best one for me.  It's not perfect, but as close as I'm going to come.  I know exactly what I need in a saddle, but no one makes it.

~ Sarah Kay