1000 Miles Running, 1000 Miles Biking

Year-To-Date Totals (Read 1084 times)

My bike is my therapist

Thanks again Chris. Great writeup too. It's good to see the big picture. It really makes me feel like we're a supportive group. Smile Congrats to you Chris, and jules2 for staying ahead of the bunny in both categories. The runners are doing great. That bunny is looking at the backside of seven of you. I just need to get off the bike. Undecided Today it was sunny, 48F, very little wind, a perfect running day. What did I do...go pound out 60 miles! I'm still planning to do the HM in mid April Confused
    "Psychotic speed and you'll crash, over caution will get you last. "
    1000 Miles Running, 1000 Miles Biking
    5000 Mile Club
    Half Marathon Trainers
      Sounds like you've got a lot going on, jules2! That's definitely awesome. Even more impressive is that you've become so motivated despite the fact that you didn't really get started until after 50. I would say that's nearly impossible for most people. It tends to be easier to come back to something you once knew and experienced than to start completely from scratch. Hey Croydon, with as many miles as you've done on the bike this year, I wouldn't worry too much about getting a late start with the running portion. It sounds like once you get yourself motivated, you'll have little to no problem catching up with the rest of us. Just don't wait too long! Big grin

jules2

Motivation, you've never met my wife if the choice is a night in with her or a 10 mile run in the rain its no contest ( only joking dear )

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

jules, good to see someone who has more bikes than I do. Currently I am down to a Giant CFR3 road bike, a Trek 3000 (old) road bike, and a Specialized Stump Jumper mtn bike. I am, however, always looking for my next bike. Excited about an April trip to Moab, Utah for a week long mtn. bike trip.
          Eternal Rookie

Totals have been updated through 2/10/08. We lost a member (BFrank) but gained 2 more (jules2 and kds)! Looks like kds has taken your spot on the board with the ?? totals, Eternal Rookie. Chris
            It was good to give the ?? to somebody else. Wink Past the biker bunny this weekend but fell behind the running rabbit. Both because I pulled a calve muscle. Cycling is my cross training when injured and the way I increase my miles without increasing risk of injury. I equate 4 - 5 miles on the bike equal to 1 running mile.
              Site has been updated again through 2/18/08! Big grin
                Totals have been updated through 3/5/08 and I've included our newbies as well. Mroualet and andsmit are tearing it up on the running side with over 400 miles already while Croydon and new member hokieesq are destroying the field on the biking side with 1143.1 and 999.2 miles respectively. We now have 5 group members that are putting a hurtin on the bunny in BOTH categories now! Shocked Congrats to Mroualet (470.5/281.5), hokieesq (293.3/999.2), Buzz 63 (256.0/480.0), jules2 (191.4/481.0) and Eternal Rookie (177.8/204.2)!!! Sadly, the bunny flew by me on his bike in the last couple of weeks... but it's only the beginning of March so there's plenty of time left in the year. Great job to all and keep up the good work! Chris westward13

jules2

Westward13 Thanks for updating the totals, I was getting worried. Just come in from a 20 mile plus hilly loop ( cycling ) on the way home from work. I think my mileage needs multiplying by a factor of say 1.5 because I go up so many hills. Anyway off to Holland next week for the Hague ( CPC ) Half Marathon on the theory its flat as I'm fed up with hills. I didn't realise that the world record half was run on this course and the record holder will be running. Plan A is to find him at the start, slipstream him until the last 25 yards and then take him on the line. Do you think I need a plan B? For reasons that are far too complicated to go into I am running as a member of a Dutch Civil Service team even though I've never spoken yet alone met anyone else in the team.

Anyway off to Holland next week for the Hague ( CPC ) Half Marathon on the theory its flat as I'm fed up with hills. I didn't realise that the world record half was run on this course and the record holder will be running. Plan A is to find him at the start, slipstream him until the last 25 yards and then take him on the line. Do you think I need a plan B? For reasons that are far too complicated to go into I am running as a member of a Dutch Civil Service team even though I've never spoken yet alone met anyone else in the team.
                    Plan B ? Good luck, and I'll be waiting to hear a report on the race Smile ....in English please Big grin

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                    Thyroid Support Group

geekfarm@centurytel.net

I wish I could take credit for those biking miles. You must have made a mistake somewhere, I have 48 miles not 480. That would have been a heck of a weekend for me!

jules2

Heres the blurb about the race, Posted February 5th, 2008 at 4:00 PM by David Monti Section: News & Results, Marathons Organizers of the City-Pier-City Half-Marathon announced yesterday that three men who have broken 60 minutes for the half-marathon distance had agreed to run in their event in The Hagur on Saturday, March 15. It will be the 34th running of what could be called the world’s fastest half-marathon since the men’s world record of 58:33 was set there last year by Samuel Wanjiru of Kenya. The three men are Kenyans Patrick Makau and Francis Kibiwott, and Ethiopian Deribe Merga. Makau is the third fastest half-marathoner in history with a 58:56 personal best. He has recorded four sub-60:00 performances. Kibiwott has a 59:26 to his credit, while Merga has broken the one-hour barrier three times, with a best time of 59:16. The City-Pier-City Half-Marathon will also serve as the Dutch Half-Marathon Championships this year.

Wow! That's really exciting! I'm sure you will have a great time - hoping for after pictures....

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                          Thyroid Support Group

That'll definitely be awesome to hear about afterwards. Sorry about the extra zero, Buzz. I'll get that updated for you. Nice job on the running thus far all the same!
                              Totals have been updated. Big grin Sorry for the delay. It looks like we've lost a couple of members and gained a couple since the last update. Welcome to the group, Super Z and Vinny Williamson!

jules2

westward, thanks for updating I'm afraid the running pace bunny is going to catch me as I have a torn thigh muscle. But I'm optimistic I can start again next week, I don't want to risk it this week as I have a two day mountain bike event next weekend and my team mate won't be happy if I'm injured. Cyling is not an option today as there are gales and it is raw outside.