1000 Miles Running, 1000 Miles Biking

Year-To-Date Totals (Read 1084 times)

I'm sorry to hear about your injury. Be careful with it... you don't want to return too quickly only to make it worse than it already is. I had something like that happen late last year with a partially torn calf muscle. Besides, it's too early in the year to worry about that stinkin bunny! The biking bunny is destroying me at the moment but I plan to get my revenge once the weather starts getting nicer!
      westward, thanks for updating I'm afraid the running pace bunny is going to catch me as I have a torn thigh muscle. But I'm optimistic I can start again next week, I don't want to risk it this week as I have a two day mountain bike event next weekend and my team mate won't be happy if I'm injured. Cyling is not an option today as there are gales and it is raw outside.
      Yikes!!! So sorry to hear that Sad Hope you heal quickly - a little extra down time right now, is better than a long down time later when the weather is good...

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
      Thyroid Support Group

jules2

Just done 2.5 miles without much problem which is only the second run since my last half on the 15th March. The first time I only managed 2 miles before the pain kicked in so things are getting better. I'm going to have a short run every day and stretch a lot then review the situation in a week or two. Last weekends mountain biking was "interesting" got blown over a 200 foot drop but luckily only went about 30 feet before I managed to arrest my progress just in time for the bike to hit me. My team mate was in front and didn't notice so I had to crawl back up with my bike and then he asked where I'd been. Its self supporting so when we got to the wilderness camp we just got the tent up before it rained and it was so heavy and the wind so strong we spent 14 hours in the tent so we couldn't cook.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

Thanks for the update - I've been wondering how you were doing. It does sound like things are getting better, good news! As to the biking....this is not making me feel very good about taking my bike outdoors..... Seriously, that sounds awful, and I am so glad that you didn't come away with any major injuries. Spending the next 14 hours in a cold tent sounds miserable after that. So, did you have fun? Hey, some people like to be miserable like that Tongue I am working hard at trying to resume running. I seem to have my muscle imbalance issues resolved, but I still need to be really cautious about progressing. I've pretty much stopped all other cardio except for my alternate day runs, and mainly strength train on the days I don't run. I'm missing the spinning( can't believe I just said I missed getting on the trainer Roll eyes ) and will probably put in a long ride this weekend. I should be able to move outdoors with bike in a few weeks.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
          Thyroid Support Group

jules2

Heres a link if you want to know more! http://www.sleepmonsters.co.uk/racereport.php?race_id=6036# In a rush at the moment I will post again tomorrow, if you are out on your bike hope you have better weather than us we are expecting snow.

Heres a link if you want to know more! http://www.sleepmonsters.co.uk/racereport.php?race_id=6036# In a rush at the moment I will post again tomorrow, if you are out on your bike hope you have better weather than us we are expecting snow.
              Thanks for the link ! I did want to know more. Damn, that was some adventure! Some of my favorite quotes from the reports... " There is of course no such thing as bad weather – only inappropriate clothing..." Big grin "Sunday’s five hours were a breeze by comparison, under blue skies with occasional showers of polystyrene-ball hail.." Shocked "Despite mounting bribery we were not allowed inside and had to camp on the field adjacent. We managed to catch a break in the weather to pitch the tent and get settled, trying to avoid looking at the warm and dry youth hostel 50 metres away ... "Lateral thinking overcame the problem of having to venture out to the portaloos (well, two people can share one cup?!) The storm abated soon after midnight and dawn broke with crystal clear blue skies and ice on the tent panels! " Big grin Shocked Congrats for doing that race! Amazing! Did you write a report? Please share more when you have time, and thanks Smile MTA: and as to "Profession: total amateur " I think not

Go With The Flow
              Thyroid Support Group

jules2

Chenille I'm useless at IT but if you use your link and click on the entry photo's ( top right on the toolbar ) you can see on the left toolbar the entry for the Spring Polaris. Then if you are really sad go to the following pages to see Paulo amd myself "in action" I'm the handsome one with the beard. Start time 9.01 to 9.31 page 3 last two shots Checkpoint 30 - 31 10.20 to 11.31 all of page 5! finish 13.31 to 14.00 page 1 last but one photo ( notice how wet my feet are I'm stll not got the feeling back yet but my doctor says as the flesh isn't black its OK) . Good news did a run just now and my leg didn't hurt for the first time in a month so I'm back in action but too late for the National Duathlon Championship next weekend.

Great pics! That was a lot of gear you were packing Shocked Not just your feet looked wet, and gulp, glad your feet aren't "black". Awesome news that your quad issue has resolved. Smile

Go With The Flow
                  Thyroid Support Group

jules2

How's everybody doing? I estimate we should have got to around 300 miles last Sunday and I'm at 769 cycling and 255 running. But I'm picking my running back up having now repaired my thigh and I have a half on 11th May so I'm hoping to taste pace bunny before the end of May.

Jules I am at 348 running and will hit 100 on the bike today. Bike weather is improving here and am now able to bike to work twice a week for the next three weeks, then daily after that. I am excited to pass that pace bunny on my bike(s).
                        I'm at 86 running (YAY!!!!) well, I am running on an indoor track right now, but it's a start, and I really want to be careful with transitioning to outdoors - we have had 14" of snow this month.... Angry 380 on the bike - but I haven't been doing much biking since I've been trying to re-establish running. Still, I'm determined to beat at least the bike bunny this year.... great job, Jules and Craneium!

Go With The Flow
                        Thyroid Support Group

jules2

Craneium, its easier to catch the pace bunny on a bike because bikes are quicker. I cycle to work everyday its around 7 miles return I haven't missed a day all Winter, how far do you go? Chenille, 86 indoors is worth double that mileage compared to outdoors. The thought of either running or cycling indoors makes me shiver, I bought a really good turbo trainer a couple of years ago and have had my Time Trial bike set up on it all Winter so far I haven't even sat on it. On the 8th May I have a 10 mile time trial every Thursday night until August. But I will do the first one and then have to miss some as my Italian nightclass has been extended until June. Because I hurt my leg my plans have been screwed up as I was hoping to get a PB Half Marathon ( which currently stands at 1.29.25 ) but I don't think I'm on course to do that on the 11th May as I've missed out on the regular long runs.

Chenille, 86 indoors is worth double that mileage compared to outdoors. The thought of either running or cycling indoors makes me shiver, I bought a really good turbo trainer a couple of years ago and have had my Time Trial bike set up on it all Winter so far I haven't even sat on it.
                            HA! Not the response I expected...let's see, no wind, steady 60 degrees, no hills......I'm just so happy to be running again, I don't care. It is a full size track ...

Go With The Flow
                            Thyroid Support Group

jules2

I take it all back I imagined a running machine that arena is so big it counts as outside, does it have its own micro climate? But its still more fun outside doing sprint training getting away from dogs and fartek avoiding being splashed by cars.

I'm not sure about the climate - the track is covered by a plastic bubble, that does allow natural light in. The times I have been there, the outside temperature was in the 30's, it was around 60 inside. I should ask next time I'm there. The innermost lane is 411 meters, odd number, but the facility was built primarily as an indoor soccer arena. I'm trying to alternate indoor/outdoor runs right now, as outside running is on pavement. I would much prefer to be outdoors, but I am fortunate that I have access to this soft surface - really, really glad to be off the treadmill...

Go With The Flow
                                Thyroid Support Group