1000 Miles Running, 1000 Miles Biking

Year-To-Date Totals (Read 1084 times)

My bike is my therapist

Well guys as hard as I try this has become a biweekly update. UndecidedIf it's OK with you I'll continue doing that way and I'll do the updates on Monday. That way everyone can get their long weekend runs in. Big grin Here are the totals as of 8/25/08: Mileage Totals as of 8/25/08 Google Docs: Year to date totals
    "Psychotic speed and you'll crash, over caution will get you last. "
    5000 Mile Club
    Half Marathon Trainers
      No problem, Croyden - appreciate that you took on the job of doing the updates. How's your running going? Are you back at it again?

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
      Thyroid Support Group

jules2

Well done Eternal Rookie and Hokieesq for beating both bunnies. Last week went "mountain biking" in Norfolk the flatest county in England with Mrs Jules, I fell off on a flat concrete road and gave my right thigh a real smack. At first I thought I had broken my it and I broke out in a sweat and nearly blacked out. The new bike has now got some battlescars and the rear hanger is bent. Still suffering a week later and the irony is that I have had to cancel my physio appointment as I was having my right thigh treated for a previous injury and I'm not sure if that has gone or not as the new one prevents me running! Hope to go out in a day or so. Cycling doing well ( crashes apart)

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

My bike is my therapist

No problem, Croyden - appreciate that you took on the job of doing the updates. How's your running going? Are you back at it again?
          Hey Chenille. The running is going OK. Not as well as I would like. It's just so easy to skip a couple of days, then two turns into three, then I don't like to run after a hard ride. I'm full of excuses. Undecided Thanks for asking. Smile Sorry it took me so long to answer. Looks like your running is going well and you fought off a few Evil grin on your half marathon earlier this month. I noticed you were using a Garmin. Which one?? I have a Forerunner 101 and I love the auto lap feature. I like to run "willy-nilly" and let it tell me how far I went. That way I'm not riding the bike on my running routes and stopping every mile to spray paint a dot on the road. The one feature I would like is the ability to upload runs to the computer. Mine was a gift so I won't complain. Smile I would post some vacation pics if I could find the camera!! Confused I hope its in a side pocket in one of the bags.
          5000 Mile Club
          Half Marathon Trainers
            Hey Chenille. The running is going OK. Not as well as I would like. It's just so easy to skip a couple of days, then two turns into three, then I don't like to run after a hard ride. I'm full of excuses. Undecided Thanks for asking. Smile Sorry it took me so long to answer. Looks like your running is going well and you fought off a few Evil grin on your half marathon earlier this month. I noticed you were using a Garmin. Which one?? I have a Forerunner 101 and I love the auto lap feature. I like to run "willy-nilly" and let it tell me how far I went. That way I'm not riding the bike on my running routes and stopping every mile to spray paint a dot on the road. The one feature I would like is the ability to upload runs to the computer. Mine was a gift so I won't complain. Smile I would post some vacation pics if I could find the camera!! Confused I hope its in a side pocket in one of the bags.
            Hey - I have that same problem with biking! I'm really trying to be more regular with it - my goal is to try to bump up to at least 30 miles/week - OK - laugh away - but that's a big deal for me Tongue Ummm - guess you noticed I was a little ticked with my half Big grin I'm over it now, and happy to say that the knee issue seems to be resolved - was able to get in a split long run today - so, making progress Cool DH got me the 401 for my birthday - I really like it! It's on my wrist in my current profile pic. It did take a little bit to get used to the scrolling to make entries - but now, it's easier than making changes on the 305. I do seem to get better satellite reception on it. Agreed about the auto lap - nice to be able to just go and not worry about a pre-marked route....not that it should make a difference anyways, but I'm a mite compulsive when it comes to tracking data Big grin The auto upload is a little slow, and motion based is screwy right now - I have to manually upload my files to that site, and that is where I get the best elevation data from. I have SportTracks on my HD, but the elevation data and distance are always less than both my garmin and motionbased Confused Still, it's a nice program, and it's free. The 305 - worked just fine, but it is bigger and was getting to the point of being uncomfortable on my wrist during long runs - if it wasn't for that, I wouldn't have cared about upgrading or not. If you are looking at an upgrade, see if you can try both models on.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
            Thyroid Support Group

Well done Eternal Rookie and Hokieesq for beating both bunnies. Last week went "mountain biking" in Norfolk the flatest county in England with Mrs Jules, I fell off on a flat concrete road and gave my right thigh a real smack. At first I thought I had broken my it and I broke out in a sweat and nearly blacked out. The new bike has now got some battlescars and the rear hanger is bent. Still suffering a week later and the irony is that I have had to cancel my physio appointment as I was having my right thigh treated for a previous injury and I'm not sure if that has gone or not as the new one prevents me running! Hope to go out in a day or so. Cycling doing well ( crashes apart)
              Jules - is that what breaking in a new bike means? Seriously - glad it wasn't worse - are you doing better this week? Hope you can get back to running soon. Congrats Eternal Rookie and Hokieesq ! Nice work to be ahead of both bunnies!

Go With The Flow
              Thyroid Support Group

jules2

Decided to try a different approach and run slower and only short distances but more regularly I have just done 5 straight days which I have never done before but only 18 miles but is got to be better than no running at all.

Decided to try a different approach and run slower and only short distances but more regularly I have just done 5 straight days which I have never done before but only 18 miles but is got to be better than no running at all.
                  glad that you are back out there - keeping my fingers crossed that this works for you and that you will be able to get back where you were before too long. btw...I wish I could run as "slow" as you do! I know, I know it's all relative....

Go With The Flow
                  Thyroid Support Group

jules2

Now done 6 days on the trot ( as we say over here ) but working in London for a couple of days and then going to Milan on holiday next week so there will be a few breaks. But I should be able to squeeze a run in around Hyde Park and Buckingham Palace, which is always good fun. I find it very difficult to run slower than 8:30 per mile pace as I normally train around 7:30 its a whole new world for me but at least I am running and clocking the miles up. I have a motivational saying now " its either running slow or running no" I have the use of a flat right in the centre of Milan and it must be the most running unfriendly place I have ever been to. The pavements are rough, the traffic terrible and almost no parks to run in. Why do I go you ask, well the flat is really nice and free ( thank you Pietro ) and I love Italy.

My bike is my therapist

OK guys. Here's the latest. High five's to Eternal Rookie, hokieesq, and pfriese for staying ahead of both bunnies. Congrats to hokieesq and Buzz 63 for passing the 1000 mile mark in the running category. Hope everyone had a nice summer. It's still pretty hot around here but should start cooling off soon. Can't wait. Wink The totals as of 9/8/08: Mileage Totals as of 9/8/08 Google Docs: Year to date totals edit: I always forget to change the date on the link. Angry
                      5000 Mile Club
                      Half Marathon Trainers
                      pfriese

Additional congrats to hokieesq for beating both pace bunnies to the 1000 mile mark. Paul
                          Additional congrats to hokieesq for beating both pace bunnies to the 1000 mile mark. Paul
                          Ditto, this! Smile

Go With The Flow
                          Thyroid Support Group

My bike is my therapist

Additional congrats to hokieesq for beating both pace bunnies to the 1000 mile mark.
                            Indeed! Big grin
                            5000 Mile Club
                            Half Marathon Trainers

My bike is my therapist

Quiet around here lately. I had an interesting ride last weekend in Sylva, NC. Sylva is about a 2.5 hr drive. Three guys from the local cycling club and myself decided to ride the Tour de Tuck. The weather was perfect. We went up Fri and stayed in a local hotel to make the 7:30 Sat start. Within the first three miles your climbing. After 20 miles you turn onto the Blue Ridge Parkway and start a nine mile, 3250 foot climb. At the top your rewarded with a four mile descent before the next five mile climb. Then an eight mile descent that is fast and fabulous. The fun is over when you start the next ten mile climb to the highest point on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Once we reached Richland Balsam gap we thought we were home free. Down hill from here. After hours of climbing at 7-8 mph we're ready for this to be over with. Never mind we're only about half way to the finish. The ride director drives up and offers something to eat or drink, he was stocking the aid stations, and I get another peanut butter and jelly sandwich, I had about six of those that day, and I topped off one of my bottles. While talking we asked about the rest of the course and he floored us when he said "your just starting the hard part". You could hear our chins hit the pavement. He went on to tell us that the remaining climbs were not long, most a mile or less, but very steep. We set off and were OK till we met the infamous Charley's Creek hill. Almost a mile at an 18% grade. About two thirds the way up the road levels enough that we think we can get going again if we stop. So we stop. We just stood by our bikes a few minutes looking at each other and shaking our heads. There is still 30 miles of this ride left. The next 20 had it's share of tough hills, though not as bad, and the last 10 we counted down the miles. The finish was a most welcome site. With 125 riders starting the century and 70 finishing this was one tough ride. Here's the update. The totals as of 9/29/08: Mileage Totals as of 9/29/08 Google Docs: Year to date totals
                              5000 Mile Club
                              Half Marathon Trainers

jules2

Croydon, Thanks for the update, the ride sounds fun although I don't like mega hills on road bikes as I need such a low gear. Did a 58 mile MTB event on Saturday over 6000 feet climbing then a 6 mile XCrunning relay early the next morning. The MTB was rough even on the flats over the moors there was sand which kept washing out the front end. Have a two day MTB race cum navigation event this weekend at Ambleside in the English Lake District could be wet. Due to this having a rest this week. Don't stand any chance of catching running pace bunny although my leg injuries have nearly gone I can't see me picking up the gap. Good luck to the rest of you in reaching your goal.