1000 Miles Running, 1000 Miles Biking

Well, what do ya know.... (Read 306 times)

After 2 years, I finally got my bike off the trainer. Today, I went for the longest ride I'd ever done outside - OK - so it was just 18 miles.....yeah, I got lost once......is it bad that I had to call for a ride home?  By the time I got to the last hill, I was in low gear and still having trouble, but since it ended up with a net uphill, I'm still pretty pleased with myself. My motivation? Sigh, been fighting a hip injury for the last month and not able to run much - the hip issues cause my leg to go numb from hip to foot - which is why I ended up calling for a ride home. Still  - I'm enjoying being outside, and I love being on the bike - I still think running is harder - there is no coasting in running....

Hope everyone is doing well and enjoying the summer

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
    Thyroid Support Group

Eternal Rookie

Congrats on the 18 outdoors. Hills are tough if you aren’t used to them.  I can’t believe that your bike was on a trainer for 2 years… Wink Even though this is the 1000/1000 club I think that it takes 4 bike miles to equal 1 run (I won’t even bring up the issue of drafting), just something to keep in the back of your mind as you get stronger on the bike.

jules2

Been away for a week and off to a 25 mile cycle time trial in a few minutes, Chenille try not to get lost as Alaska is a big place and I understand you have animals that eat people

We've had a very dry Summer and could do with some serious rain, Scotland appears to be getting all ours at the moment.

Sounds like your sciatic nerve, I've had similar problems in the past.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

I should have just asked you, Jules. I ended up having an MRI on my hip - normal. The numbness and buzzing in my leg has changed pathways - but still hip to foot.  It's definitely sciatica. My biggest concern is that the numbness does not allow me to feel my foot plant, and at the same time, my ankle feels like it wants to roll. I went out today, and did stop to stretch twice. I think I have it narrowed down to either glute medius or minimus. It's not my piriformis. A lot of the problem is stemming from tightness on my right side - which is seriously pulling my left side.  What did you do for your sciatica?

About the animals... a webcam was put out on one of the popular running/biking trails - caught a group of 4 bears meandering down the trail. I do my best to get lost in "safe" areas

How did the time trial go?

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
          Thyroid Support Group

I can’t believe that your bike was on a trainer for 2 years… Wink

there is no coasting on the trainer

Go With The Flow
            Thyroid Support Group

jules2

Hit a pot hole at mile 12 and wrecked the handlebar  stem so couldn't finish

Never mind it was only a local event so it wasn't that important.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hit a pot hole at mile 12 and wrecked the handlebar  stem so couldn't finish

Never mind it was only a local event so it wasn't that important.

Sad That stinks!  A local guy who is a very good rider messed-up his crank hitting a pothole here.

Cheryl, I am still trying to wrap my brain around having a bike on a trainer for 2 years.  That is miserable and hardcore...like those folks who do the bulk of their runs on the dreadmill.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Jules, sorry to hear that. Are you OK?

Kirsten, I don't think of it as being particularly hardcore, and it's not all that miserable. I can watch biking movies, and even play guitar hero during the cool down parts .  I can handle winter running, but it's a lot colder trying to ride in the winter, and our winters are looooong.  If I was primarily a biker, it would be different. I'm still trying to be primarily a runner, but who knows, maybe I'll end up a swimmer instead. i must say that I'm intrigued by all the people I see skate-skiing around here, and I'm hoping to take up XC skiing(classic)  this winter .

Go With The Flow
                  Thyroid Support Group

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ooh, XC skiing is intense!  I have a nice pair of skis that I have needed new boots and bindings for for about 20 years, heh.  They are the old 3-peg bindings and the boots were small before I had Dane...post-kid they are WAY small.

~ Sarah Kay

We have lots of great XC ski trails around here - and the bears will be asleep - that just leaves the wolves and moose to watch out for....

Go With The Flow
                      Thyroid Support Group

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

We have lots of great XC ski trails around here - and the bears will be asleep - that just leaves the wolves and moose to watch out for....

Ha...so totally safe. 

~ Sarah Kay

jules2

We have lots of great XC ski trails around here - and the bears will be asleep - that just leaves the wolves,  moose and frost bite to watch out for....

Fixed

The sun was out for the first time in like two weeks - so I went for a walk

Go With The Flow
                            Thyroid Support Group

jules2

Nice, I think the expression is short but sharp, we have been having all your sun, its not really hot but its very dry.

We went out for a walk the other day and went to this place, they are not my photo's

http://www.pbase.com/derekslater/throwley_old_hall_

Nice pictures! I would just love to take a walk there!

here are a few pictures I took

Go With The Flow
                                Thyroid Support Group