2000Km-1243 mile club

November check-in! (Read 360 times)

Imminent Catastrophe

It's a day off for me but I thought I'd start a new check-in thread for November. Fire away!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Dog-Love

OK...thanks Perfessor.  It is 35 and blowing sideways...raining sideways too.  Think I'll run 4-5 through the woods.  I am back from DC and worked the entire time and only made time for a long walk on the Mall.

Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
      HappyFeat

Thanks for starting us off, PerfesserR.

Your 20-miler in Central Park sounds like it went very well pace-wise, especially considering you probably had to navigate  a fair amount of blowdown debris. Is that unusual for it to snow before the autumn leaves have fallen?  The weather seems to be turning more quickly than usual, doesn't it? We had some frost on windshields around here this morning too.

Crabby how did your sideways run go this morning?

I'm at lunch right now, but am planning on 5 miles tonight.

MTA: Thanks for the comment Dutchie - I have been running a rolling hills 10-mile route routinely on the weekend for a number of months now. I've gotten pretty good at going up and down short steep hills, so that helped me alot in this trail race, particularly for the downhills where I can make up time. This particular race course however had some really long uphill inclines - which I'm not used to - so more practicing to be done. However, I have found that I really love a hilly course. I don't know why...it just is really fun and feels like such an accomplishment to do.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Dutchie42

I am so darn sleepy from waking up all the time due to foot and calf cramps that I don't think I can keep up with the TM today. I did do biceps,. triceps, shoulders and core, but was struggling with the pace here too. Like there was a 5 second delay whenever I had to move a muscle...

Crabby: did you make it thru the woods?

Happy: did you get your run in?

Dutchie
          Run the day, or the day runs you.

Dog-Love

Good morning...Made it for a three miler up a trail to some muskeg and there Nitro ran hard for 5 minutes and then we ran back.  Today is a flat trail with Nitro on leash.  He has been running off and not coming back so I need to show him a bit of discipline.  5 mile "race" on Sat.  I will be happy with 10 minute miles

Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
            HappyFeat

I had to look up "muskeg" and came up with a kind of peat bog. How deep? Any danger of sinking into it?

Ran my 5 miles last night; 8 planned for tonight.

Dutchie - why the nighttime cramps? Have you tried stretching before getting into bed? How about eating more bananas or V8 juice for the potassium?

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Dutchie - every once in awhile I get night time cramps - usually solved by pre bedtime stretching and lots of water (debydration seems to be a major factor for me). The foam roller works wonders. Long office day=no run. I'll try for an hour tomorrow. Can't wait for daylight savings!

Recalculating...

Dog-Love

+1 on the drinking water for leg cramps but a roller feels pretty good too.

Ran 4 today with Nitro off leash and it was a spectacular 31 degree day blue sky and wind.  First day running with long tights

Muskeg=bog=highland marsh.  1 foot deep

...---...

Howdy. Managed a couple runs in Vegas. Ugh. Terrible running out there. Weather was almost perfect though, ~48 F, sunny, a little breezy this past week.

-

Coincidentally, I woke up Wed night (thursday morning) with a calf cramp. Having been out in that arid climate, I put down 2 liters of water over the course of 4 hrs and still didn't void any fluid. dehydration I guess. A liter of gatorade later, my cramp/pain was completely relieved. So yeah, I buy into the dehydration thing on cramps. maybe some electrolytes too. 

-

Will watch the NYC marathon on-line. Have a great weekend everyone!

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Imminent Catastrophe

I'm in New Hampshire for tomorrow's Mancester CIty Marathon. I didn't luck out on the NYCM lottery but this should be a really nice (and much less expensive) race and I can cross off New Hampshire for my 31st state, and NH doesn't have a lot of choices.  It's beautiful here and the weather should be spectacular! There are still big piles of snow all over the place from the Halloween snowstorm but it should be in the 40's and sunny. I had a sore throat yesterday and was afraid I was coming down with an Upper respiratory infection but I'm better today. 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Dog-Love

Good luck Russ and I look forward to hearing how the NH marathon is. 

Running a 5 mile "race" today.  Out and back on a trail that has 4 inches of snow and this morning it is 35 and drizzling.  Should be a slush run.

Dutchie42

So far this week: 2x1 mile runs on the TM, 1x3.5K run with the dogs. Pathetic. But I did work all UB muscle groups twice this week.

I have no idea about the muscle cramps. I do have them occasionally. Usually after a hard run or particularly strenuous LB workout. A colleague gave me a magnesium supplement that I started taking last Sunday. I had a good nights sleep on Thursday and Friday. Not sure if it was the supplement, but the cramps are gone!

Crabby: you have snow Shocked Is that normal for this time of year in Alaska? We've been enjoying unusually high temps: yesterday was 18C. Weird for November.

Perfesser: good luck on your marathon! Should be a good one with the weather being so nice.

Dutchie
                          Run the day, or the day runs you.

Good luck on the racing this weekend! Looking for those race reports...

I did a "Body Pump" class this morning and I'll be running 5 miles tomorrow. First snow flakes this morning (the Holloween snowstorm missed us) Cheers, A

Recalculating...

Dog-Love

5 mile trail run in the snow and slush.  10.5 minute miles and a great way to start the day. 

Dutchie: We got our first snow this week and it will probably be here until March.

Russ - Good luck!

Trey - Didn't really enjoy the running in Vegas either, but some how I still manage to have a good time there.

Did a little marathon pace practice run today.  I'm still not sure of my projected pace so I figured the best thing to do was pick a pace a little on the fast side and see how it felt.  I ran 13 miles at a 3:33 marathon pace and it seemed just a little on the aggressive side so I think that answered my question.  I can now officially state my goals for next weekend.  BQ is not in the mix for this race so my big focus is going to be solid nutrition/hydration and a negative split.

3:45 minimum goal

3:38 goal pace

3:33 stretch goal