2000Km-1243 mile club

November check-in! (Read 360 times)

HappyFeat

Hi everybody!

10 miles for me this morning, rolling hills route, 35 degrees and sunny. It took a little more effort than I expected, but no real issues.

Good luck in the marathon tomorrow, Russ - hope you have a great time!

Jeff - good planning run today. Hope the coming week is a good one for you leading up to the marathon.

Are you relaxed about it or nervous as hell?

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Imminent Catastrophe

Ran the Manchester CIty Marathon in 4:12-ish. It was a really pretty course through the quaint neighborhoods of this nice New England town on a beautiful Fall day. I felt pretty good and ran the last 10k faster than the overall pace so it was a success, pace-wise. Not an easy course, either, it's quite hilly and I feel really good about that time on this course. 

What a nice, low-key alternative to NYCM! But I would not choose this as a Boston Qualifier. 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

HappyFeat

You're amazing, Russ!! What a great result! Sounds like a perfect day.

Imminent Catastrophe

It seems that cold pizza leftover from the night before is an excellent race-morning meal. Worked OK for me! Clown

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

...---...

Pizza is one of my fav pre-race foods too. Nice finish Russ. 

-

So, remember the cramps discussion? Saturday my right calf started to "knot up" in a spot with 3 miles to go. I basically hobbled (run/walk) the remaining 3 miles, occasionally stopping to stretch. After, compression helped ease the tension a good bit but still feel it today. There's no way I'm dehydrated or lacking electrolytes or potassium. I honestly thought it was a cramp but am wondering if something else is going on given that I still feel it. I'm going to give it one more day of rest before running on it again...just to be safe. I feel a little tension today and is only noticeable when I push off to walk. If I jog, I can also feel some discomfort when I land. I'm no expert on cramps (only had one before this episode). Any thoughts on what might be going on? I think I need a massage Smile - at a minimum. 

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

HappyFeat

Trey, here's my input:

1) Cramps can also occur from trying to do more than your muscles are in condition for or if the muscle is fatigued.

I wonder if you increased your long run too quickly, jumping to 7 miles after only doing a couple of 5's. You may want to add weekly and LR miles more gradually for a bit.  

2) Other than that aspect, I've found that the calves can get overworked (leading to fatigue and cramp) when I'm not working my glutes enough - the calves take up the slack. If I notice this happening while running and make the necessary adjustments, then my calves are fine.

Nice run Russ.

Nothing to see here.  Just tapering and planning the weekend.

Dutchie42

Nice race Perfesser! Smile

Dutchie
                  Run the day, or the day runs you.

So, remember the cramps discussion? Saturday my right calf started to "knot up" in a spot with 3 miles to go. I basically hobbled (run/walk) the remaining 3 miles, occasionally stopping to stretch. After, compression helped ease the tension a good bit but still feel it today. There's no way I'm dehydrated or lacking electrolytes or potassium. I honestly thought it was a cramp but am wondering if something else is going on given that I still feel it. I'm going to give it one more day of rest before running on it again...just to be safe. I feel a little tension today and is only noticeable when I push off to walk. If I jog, I can also feel some discomfort when I land. I'm no expert on cramps (only had one before this episode). Any thoughts on what might be going on? I think I need a massage Smile - at a minimum. 

I feel like I've become something of a calf expert since I haven't run normally in 4 months.  You may very well have a calf strain. Was the pain a)in the large upper calf muscles (gastrocnemious); blower down the leg or c)"deep" in the middle of the calf?  If b or c han you might be looking at a soleus strain.  The fact that the discomfort went away quickly probably means a minor strain.  

After the second major recurrence I went to a sports medicine orthopedist.  His treatment plan: rest, no running (bike, then elliptical after a few weeks), PT, massage.  PT focused on stretching calf and hamstring (hamstring inflexibility is a primary contributor to calf strains) and strengthening calf muscles along with ankle and hips.  Massage focused on breaking up scar tissue that forms around the healing wound. Unfortunately, there's no good way to tell that you're healed so you have to ease back in to the running very slowly.  Injuring it again is like tearing open a wound and the healing process has to start over again.  

I guess what I'm saying is: don't mess around or you could be looking at major downtime.

Also, I agree with Happy, anything you could do to your form to transfer work to larger muscles (quads, hamstrings) has got to help.

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

Imminent Catastrophe

Also, I agree with Happy, anything you could do to your form to transfer work to larger muscles (quads, hamstrings) has got to help.

Yes, and it will help you on long runs too if you're able to recruit those large muscles.

HappyFeat

5 EZ miles for me tonight on the TM - I wimped out about going out in the dark despite the pep talk I gave myself on the way home from work.  Oh well, I'm thankful I have the option.

4.75 easy miles this morning - perfect weather, clear and 5*C. Beautiful sunrise (daylight savings time gods working in my favor in the fall), I felt very light on my feet. Perhaps I'm feeling a sense of relief after finishing up some long and stressful workdays.

Cross training makes running seam really easy. Weight training class tomorrow...

Perfesser - Great job! Manchester sounds like a great race at the right time of year within my capacity for travel. I see they have a half - I'll have to look into it. I've been thinking about Philadelphia for a november race next year...

Happy wednesday, A

Recalculating...

...---...

Thanks for the calf tips folks! Calf issues are one of the few things I haven't had to deal with. I do think I'm pushing off more. My hammies are tight. The west side of Clevelend is flat a a pancake so I'll have to get creative employing other muscle groups (without driving south for hills). But I'll see what I can do on form.

-

For Brian - thanks so much. I'd categorize the issue in (a.) above in your note. The "knot" that seemed to form was in the lower part in the bulk of the muscle. Largely today, walking aroubnd, I feel nothing. I took a "test" jog for a few steps earlier and feel nothing...Except tight calves. I took Sunday off, and did a very slow 2 miles yesterday, stopping to walk for 30 sec - 1 min every 1/2 mile. I did feel slight discomfort and "tightness" where the knot had been toward the end of the 2 mile run. I'll test it again today but will take it slow and easy...and will, of course, stop if I feel it getting worse.

-

sometimes I have to remind myself I'm not 25 anymore Smile

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

...---...

Well, that was disappointing. 0.25 miles into a slow trot and another knot formed...same calf, different spot. 0.83 miles total, 1/2 of it walking. Well, and so it goes. I'll rehab for a bit then see how it goes maybe early next week.

-

on a brighter note, Great Lakes Brewing has their Christmas Ale out...and it's delicious. 

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Imminent Catastrophe

on a brighter note, Great Lakes Brewing has their Christmas Ale out...and it's delicious. 

This thread is now more useful!