2000Km-1243 mile club

November check-in! (Read 360 times)

HappyFeat

Thanks for the calf tips folks! Calf issues are one of the few things I haven't had to deal with. I do think I'm pushing off more. My hammies are tight. The west side of Clevelend is flat a a pancake so I'll have to get creative employing other muscle groups (without driving south for hills). But I'll see what I can do on form.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong. Are you saying that you need hills to activate your upper leg/hip/glute muscles??

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

...---...

Happy - I'm not sure I know any other way to really engage those muscle groups on a run. Got any ideas?

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Imminent Catastrophe

Trey, try to get your hips into the action. Make sure you are pivoting a bit around the waist, that will engage the glutes. It's not a dramatic change but it seems to work for me. True story--I was listening to a running podcast during a marathon in the late miles and the guy (can't remember who) mentioned that so I tried it and it actually seemed to reduce my effort level and increase my pace a bit. Shake your bootie!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Dog-Love

I agree with Russ.  My recent issues stem from not engaging m hips so my PT lately is focused on strengthing muscles associated with gluts and hips.  I still am going in for an MRI soon.  I can run 3-6 miles but I have a lot of pain afterwards.  Ran 4 yesterday with Nitro and it was raining and snowing.  Love getting out!

Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
          HappyFeat

Happy - I'm not sure I know any other way to really engage those muscle groups on a run. Got any ideas?

I keep meaning to reply, but haven't had any computer time. Now I've got the cleaning guys vacuuming around me - lunch hour at the office. I'll get back to this over the weekend.

after-work ETA: 

Hi Crabby I'm glad you're getting out and having fun, but the pain after doesn't sound so great.

What body part is the MRI for?

I didn't hear the podcast, Russ, but I read an article in one of the mags that sounds similar - about an elite's running style. I think they described it like "rolling his hips" which gave him a longer stride and faster pace. Anyway I've tried that a few times with some success. It's kind of a fun experiment. I'll look for the article and re-post the details another time.

In reply to your original question, Trey: Last year, I went to a physical therapist because of really bad sciatica. She was able to explain my longstanding glute/hip left-to-right imbalance (dating to a back injury about 5 years ago), and show me exercises to strengthen my glutes/hips. Those exercises along with yoga have taught me what it feels like to isolate and activate the muscles and use them in running.  I'm no expert, and I'm a slacker alot of the time in terms of doing the exercises regularly, but I have got the body mechanics down now with practice. 

I guess my point is you need to do some muscle-specific exercises so you can learn what it feels like to use specific muscles in order to activate them while running.

Posture also plays a role. Sometimes, I have a tendency to "fall" forward at the waist a bit. If I straighten up, it brings my hips more directly under me and they start "working" more then. Also I found if I push off more with my foot, flex it more, then my hips naturally work more - a domino effect somehow.

If you have any interest, the yoga workout I use is called "YogaSculpt" by Karen Voight. I've looked at others and have pretty much read up on all the recommended "yoga routines for runners" to make sure I'm not missing something and I have to say she's got it all included in one 45 minute workout. 

Despite that and because I feel I need some more structure for doing those hip/glute exercises, I just got a new DVD called StrongStride that was advertised in RunningTimes magazine.  I'll be watching it for the first time tonight. It is supposed to focus on strengthening the hips, glutes, and core, I'll let you know if it's any good.

Trey - I agree with Happy.  The PT really taught me how to isolate, strengthen and engage the specific muscles in the hip ab area and yoga is an awesome tool to maintain the skill.  I think the biggest training exercise for me is just slightly lengthening my walking stride and focusing on engaging the glute at the end of the stride.

I'm up early fueling up for the race.  It is very nice being two blocks from the start especially when it is 28F outside.  My plan is to get fueled, cleaned up and use the bathroom facilities here.  Then head out about 20 minutes before the start to get into my corral.  Bib number is 238 if anybody plans on tracking me.  I'm looking at 26 minute 5k's for pace.

HappyFeat

Good luck, Jeff!!  Run strong and FAST

Jeff!! Fantastic time! Can't wait to hear how the race went for you - Congratulations on surpassing your goal!

Dog-Love

What a great way to start the morning Jeff! 

I'm hitting the roads with 2 girlfriends for a 6 miler in nasty wind and rain

Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)

Mini Richmond report:

The hotel was 2 blocks from the start.  Temp at the start was 38F and the finish was low 50's, beautiful sunshine and perfect conditions.  I was in a very positive mindset to start the race.  I really had to hold myself back on the first half as a couple of thousand people passed me.  I rattled off a couple 26 minute 5K's then picked it up just a little to finish the half in 1:48:36.  I met the family at mile 17 and changed over from cold gear to warm gear and a fresh bottle of sustained energy.  The next couple of 5K's were very strong and I was really starting to real some people back in.  I made the turn with 7 miles to go and started to struggle just a little.  I got passed by the 3:35 pace group with about 5 miles to go and decided to try to stick with them.  The last 3 miles was all I had but I managed to stick with them and finish in 3:34:12 for a 1:45:36 second half and a negative split!

I could not be happier with the way everything went today.  My pacing was perfect and I know I didn't leave even a second out on the course.  Hydration and nutrition was spot on.  No PR's out there today but I am very happy about the way I ran a moderately difficult course.  Thanks for the support everybody.

Dog-Love

Sounds like a great run for you.  Love that you have your family there helping out and cheering you on! 

I helped my friend run her 12 mile run by running six with her.  She is traiing for a half and I am training for nothing!  Rainy and cold ... again.

Great race, Jeff.  Thanks for the report.

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

Jeff - congratulations on a great (and speedy) race. We love negative splits!

Happy and Perfesser - I'm really learning alot about preventative stretching and strengthening here. While I'm on my cross training whirlwind - I may check out the local yoga for runners class - its been recommended by a couple of people here.

Loving the fall season - two 5 mile runs this weekend, sunny and right above 0*C. Gorgeous. Going to Atlanta later this week, so I'm hoping to break out the shorts for one last run...

I hope you have a restful Sunday, A

Recalculating...

Imminent Catastrophe

Good to hear about your good race Jeff!

I ran a 15k trail race yesterday and felt great, running 1:23, under 9 mins/mile which is a pretty good pace on trails for me. Since my low point in July when I wasn't running much and weighed an all-time high, I've lost 12-14 pounds and have been working with a strength trainer, and I really feel stronger on those runs. 

I also ran into the Pine Mountain 40 RD who talked me into running this year (Dec 4). I really like that race, its really tough and was waffling because I wasn't sure I'd be ready. Actually I'm on the wait list but the RD said I'd most likely get in. Joking

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

...---...

Hey everyone - thanks so much for weighing in on my health issues. I think I visualize what you're talking about. Would anyone disagree that I may be able to absorb and learn a bit more of what we're talking about - engage hips, glutes, core, form - through the book "Chi Running'? Seems like most of these issues are touching on a similar concept. 

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

HappyFeat

Maybe "disagree" off the cuff. I'll have to look at it again before giving my official answer.

I bought that book last year, but didn't get much out of it. I'll mail it to you if you don't already have it.