2000Km-1243 mile club

Weekly Check in June 29 - July 5 (Read 334 times)

I successfully completed my interval workout yesterday...at goal pace and everything.  12 x 400m.  I was giving it just about everything I had and I can definitely feel the burn today.

Gig - sorry to hear about your mile progress.  I'm sure you will reach your goal eventually.  In the meantime, good luck on your PR.

This is why I run.  A nice little 6 miler.  Temperature was just hot enough that you could feel it, but humidity was low enought that you could recover.  Kept the pace right where I wanted to be. Could have gone faster, but didn't need to.  Felt great at the end and could have definitely done another loop.  Perfect.

Gig - I spent my childhood summers in Bethany (that would be the early to mid 70's).  Now I'm trying to figure out how to get back to Rehoboth so I can visit Dogfish Head.  I'm jealous.

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

...---...

Gig - "Step Into Liquid" is an AWESOME documentary on surfing. It comes on one of the HD movie channels from time to time. I think you'd love it...if you haven't seen it already.

10K this morning, humidity was back a little...but not bad at all. Gearing up for 20 miler this weekend. Gonna start really early. 

Happy 4th everyone. 

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Imminent Catastrophe

Rest crosstraining today, did a weight workout. Legs fatigued from yesterday's 14-mile hill workout.

I got my entrance to the MDI Marathon today! I'm psyched! More hillwork needed.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Dog-Love

Gig

"Stepping into Liquid" is a great one!

I am not running as I am pretty sad about my son's 16 year old friend falling 500 feet down an avalanche chute yesterday.  Not a good ending and lots of sad folks in Juneau.

A new day tomorrow

Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)

Ran a July 4 5K today in my fourth attempt to break 27:00 (aside: I call it the fourth, but the first "attempt" was an out-of-nowhere 27:13 when I was simply hoping to break 28).  I figured this time was the perfect time: weather looked to be cool enough, course was flat enough, legs felt good all week.  The final result: a lung-busting 27:02 27:04.  A new PR by 9 seconds, but still a 27.

The course was actually hillier than I remembered from last year.  Last year my goal was simply to run the whole thing without taking a walking break and I thought the course was pancake flat.  It's funny how your level of exertion affects your perception of inclines.  Hills that seem easy in training are killers in a race.  Hills that you didn't notice in a long race are killers in a short one.

The funny thing was I couldn't run fast.  At the first half-mile, which was predominantly up-hill, I was 10 seconds behind plan and would have sworn I was way ahead of pace.  The same was true the whole way: thought I was really kicking it, but my splits were behind goal.  Pulled it together in the last mile and made up some ground.  Dead sprint to the finish line. Pegged the HR at 202.  First time I've tried to race the clock to the line and it was amazing how slow the clock is and how long it takes to actually cover the ground. 

Still, a new PR and 3+ minutes faster than last year.  Back to slow running.  11 miles tomorrow.

MTA: my watch and the chip did not agree.  My official time was 27:04.  Grrrrrr....

...---...

Way to go Brian! I'll bet you'll do sub 27 this fall for sure.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Imminent Catastrophe

Easy 4 mile warmup, then joined 55,000 of my closest friends in the Peachtree 10k, 5th year in a row. It's a big 4th of July party, with T-shirts and water stations.

My goals were: just get a good tempo workout and break 55:00, for seeding in Time Group 1B for next year's Peachtree. That's a big deal here because if you're not seeded you could end up assigned to a corral behind 50,000 other runners and might not cross the start line for almost an hour! No fun.

Anyway, I ran hard, but not all out. At mile 3 I was somewhat surprised to be on an 8-minute pace, but the first 3 are mostly downhill. That's where I caught DW who had started in Time Group 1A (sub-50:00). But it's also the start of "Cardiac Hill", the biggest of three climbs in the second half and usually I struggle on the hills. From mile 3 to 5 1/2 is mostly up, so I was surprised when I hit mile 5 not too far behind an 8:00 pace. So I picked it up a bit, hit 6 under 48:00, and sprinted to a 49:23, Time Group 1A and sub-8 minute pace! Whoo hoo!

The best part is that I didn't totally fade on the hills as I usually do, maybe the hill training I've ben doing is starting to pay off! OTOH, I'm aiming to run almost that fast for a full marathon this Fall? Uh, I have a long way to go.

MTA:

According to Ascent, I ran the race at exactly 7:52 pace for both halves. Ha, how's that for even splits?

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

...---...

Way to go Russ! Several of my neighbors did the race again too. Next year, I'm in. You ran a 10K at my 5K PR pace. Stud.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Gig

I did 12 today. At around 4 miles, I accidentally hit the lap button. My splits were a 9:16 pace and a 9:18 pace. I was pretty happy about that since I did my best the entire run to not look at my pace.

Okay. Pet peeve time. If  a park has a vending machine, shouldn't they have a receptacle for the empties?! Well, they have a snack shop there. (This park is also a beach in Lewes, DE.) In the snack shop is a large trashcan with a larger sign over it explaining that this trashcan is for concession employee use only. I tossed my empty bottle in there in a way that it would make the loudest noise I could manage, and then bolted out the door. The concept of a trash depositing bandit delighted me. I hope somebody else there saw the humor in it.

...---...

I got in all 20 miles this morning. Whew. Feeling good. Tired, but good.

I trash deposit bandit all the time. Scenario: walking the dogs. Dogs pooh. I bag it up. Toss into someone's garbage can along the route. 

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Here's a tip: the day before your long run DON'T stand in the sun for 4 hours at a Hot Chicken Festival.

Still, any run you finish is a good run.  11 in the books.  Bring on the next week.

Great report Perfesser.  Used to live a couple of blocks from the race route.  Maybe I need to add it to the wish list.  Congrats on your time.

Imminent Catastrophe

Trey, is that your last 20-miler? Taper time!

Dutchie42

Crabby: sorry to hear about your son's friend. What's an avalanche chute?

Trey: do you start taper now or will you be running another 20 miler next week?

It promised to be another steamingly hot Summer's day here, so I was out the door at 6AM to get my long run in: 22.3 kilometers, which took me a leisurely 2:44:36. Not bad, especially since I took a walk break and a sip of water/ sportsdrink every 3rd beep of my HRM. I'm guessing that's about every 2.5K. I was doing really well, so did Spooky. I had a nice rhythm going, moving like a machine, when, with only about 4 kilometers left to go this big pick up truck passed me so close, I involuntarily jumped aside and stopped dead in my tracks. Jeez!! Not like I didn't hear it coming, but drivers always swerve widely to give me as much space as possible. Even small tiny cars do. Maybe he just wanted a closer look of my cute running skirt Anyways, when I started running again, my legs were suddenly like dead weight, tired and unwilling to move #%@$. The last few kilometers turned into a sort of run 50 meters then walk, repeat..... Very annoying Especially since I was going at such a nice pace, sigh.

Dutchie
                              Run the day, or the day runs you.

Dutchie42

Oh, and I finally passed the 1000K mark for this year. I'm halfway there.

Dutchie
                                Run the day, or the day runs you.