2000Km-1243 mile club

Weekly Check in 26 July - 2 August (Read 336 times)

Dutchie42

Just getting us started for the new week.

Nothing to report for yesterday. Giving my legs a rest. Was supposed to do en UB strength w/o but I was pretty busy putting the last coat of paint on my french doors. Gosh, what a job! Looks good though. After I just lazied about. I'm allowed to, it's my vacation.

What's left to do? Sanding the risers and treads from the stairs from the ground floor to the first floor. All the paint needs to come off cause I want to stain them with a dark teak colour. Probably needs 3 coats. The sanding will be a major job. There's 3 different colours on there: the original grey, then a very light yellow, then a vanilla white. In between the colours are coats of protective parquet lacquer. This is going to be one hell of a job.

Anyone have any smart ideas how to make this easier?

Anyways, I'm off for a one hour run! Maybe it'll help me figure out how to make it easier to get the paint of the stairs.

ETA: did a 10.1K run at an easy pace, except for a 1000 meter "sprint" in the middle at 6 min/kilometer. I added a 40min LB endurance strength workout. I almost lost balance a few times during the explosive lunges about 30 min into the w/o. Guess that means I worked my legs well 

Dutchie
    Run the day, or the day runs you.

Dutchie42

Finished my run.

Started slow and easy for the first 5 kilometers. Then put a 1000 meter sprint in (6 min) and after I recovered tried to maintain a faster than slow pace for the remainder of the loop.

I planned a 10.1K, but given the sensitivity of my knees yesterday I decided on a 7K loop. But as I started my run and there wasn't even a twinge, I changed my mind and went for an 8.8K loop.

However, after my little 1000 meter sprint, my legs automatically turned left instead of right, making me run the original 10.1K loop. Now this has happened to me before: my legs not being in sync with my thoughts. Does that happen to you guys too?

Dutchie
      Run the day, or the day runs you.

...---...

Walked nearly 4 miles total Monday - mostly easy. Soreness is subsiding nicely. Hope you all have a great week.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Imminent Catastrophe

I just realized I put Monday's workout in last week's thread. Oh well, 8 miles w/5x800m @5k pace (a little faster, actually). It felt much, much easier than last week's identical workout, and the 800's were 10-15 seconds faster.

Today, 12.5 mile medium/long run, really hitting the hills with increased effort and high leg lift. The heat and humidity are back, I was completely drenched afterward, head to toe. And tired. Wish I were on the Left coast!

Hey Trey--I see you're running Lynch's Woods 50k this September. I ran a 50k (Hitchcock Woods in AIken) by the same RD, Terri Hayes, a couple years ago and it was great! It ran during Tropical Storm Barry, cost a grand total of $10 and had great support and food, I think you'll have fun. (If I didn't have a race on the 12th I'd be sorely tempted to run that). I see the race is free!

One thing: Pay very, very close attention to the course markers, they are easy to miss. I almost got lost a few times, backtracked a couple times. Some guys did get lost and ended up running like 40 miles. Good times.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Dog-Love

I ran one of my favorite trails today with my favorite running buds just to see if I could run a 9-miler without issues.  Well I was way tired and walked a bit but got through it.  Still not sure about the half on Saturday and if this heat wave keeps up (its 80 degrees today)...I think I will go for a  hike.

It did feel great to run over 6 miles!

Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)

Started the week with a rest day.  Yesterday was a 4 miler. 

Slowest. Run. Ever.

Lowest. Heartrate. Ever.  wonder if there's a connection.

Plan is to run 7 miles today which, if I stick to plan, will give me an all time high for monthly mileage (with one more planned run left to go).

The irony that TN is having near record cold and rain for July while the northwest is having all-time highs is not lost on me.  Hang in there guys, the worm (and thermometer) will turn.

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

Imminent Catastrophe

I was going to do an easy 5 on the TM today but the left Achilles is a bit sore so quit after 1 mile. This was an optional day anyway.

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

...---...

Just a couple of easy slow miles in the hotel treadmill this morning. Almost all soreness is gone - just a little tight in a few places but feeling pretty good.

Russ - yeah, couldn't resist running the 50K in Lynch's woods. I've heard great things about Terri's races. This will be my first trail race. MTA: I am concerned about taking a wrong turn or not veering off when I should. 

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Dog-Love

Well I bow down to you guys who can run in the heat and I am only talking 78 degrees here in ol Juneau AK.  I was dying!  In fact me and my dog and JJ jumped into the ocean  (53 degrees) and felt sooooooo much better.  Almost ran 6 miles but infact probably walked 3/4 of a mile
                    Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)

Great job SF racers!

I can't even imagine running in the heat. I don't think I've run in over 72º this year. Here in Maine it is ALWAYS 65º and foggy in the mornings...

I've taken some time off in the past couple of weeks, so I"m just getting back into it. 11 miles this week so far, including a fast 4 with my neighbor...8 tomorrow. Will I ever see a 30 mile week again? Today I did some upper body weight training at the YMCA and swam maybe 250 yards.

Take care and keep hydrated,

A

Recalculating...

...---...

There's 3 different colours on there: the original grey, then a very light yellow, then a vanilla white. In between the colours are coats of protective parquet lacquer. This is going to be one hell of a job.

Anyone have any smart ideas how to make this easier?

Dutchie - I've always applied a paint and varnish remover. The one's I've seen lately (here in the US) are gels, non toxic, and are safe for the wood. Most of the paint scraps off fairly easy with a putty knife or steel wool. You'll still have to sand some of it but the job would be a lot easier and far less dusty.

Back home now. DW and I got it late last night, flights went well, so back to reality today .  Gonna take another rest day today. Hope to have a RR by tomorrow.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Imminent Catastrophe

Pretty awful run today. I was supposed to be in Boston, and was looking forward to a nice long run around the Charles River. Ended up instead in Birmingham,  AL. D'oh! . So I traced out a reasonable-looking route on the RA route map. It turns out that Birmingham doesn't feel the need for sidewalks. They end suddenly, leaving no room to run. It's REALLY hilly, hot, humid. At least I ran up the hill to the Vulcan statue, which has a nice view of the city (and water) but man, that was a hard climb. I got lost a couple of times. Yes, it is possible to get lost while wearing a GPS watch! Fortunately I had a hand-bottle with water or I would have been in trouble.

On a "suck" scale of 1-10, this was an 11.

4 yesterday,  7 today, 16 tomorrow. 

Mapped out the rest of my training plan heading towards Chicago and am solidly in the "there's no way I can do this" mindset.  The most I've ever run in a week is 35 and now I'm going to do 9 straight weeks of 35-43?  No way.  I hope the 16 goes well tomorrow (which will give me 38 for the week, a new record) and help me shake this feeling that I'm in over my head.

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

Dog-Love

Not running the Half today...I decided to save myself for the ever fun Klondike Road Relay coming up Sept 3rd or so.  My leg of this 10-person team relay that winds from Skagway to Whitehorse is 12.8 with a nice hill.  SO I will run a nice and easy 10 miler this weekend and try to work on speed a bit over the next month.

Beat the heat yesterday with a 5 miler in the morning...felt great.

Sorry Perfessor you had a bad one.

...---...

Felt like I was writing a novel. SF Marathon experience.

http://treysmiles.blogspot.com/

6.5 miles this morning. 2/3 of that was on trails. 

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12