2000Km-1243 mile club

Weekly check in 3 May to 9 May (Read 348 times)

Imminent Catastrophe

8.1 trail run today, with DW and dogs. Legs were a bit tired after yesterday's long run but did OK with a decent pace. DW was up ahead of me and ran across (and killed) a rattlesnake that was right on the trail and wouldn't move .

Like this one:

That's over 42 trail miles this week, I'm tired.

MTA: 42 miles, a bunch of  squirrels and deer, 2 horses, a wild turkey, a bobcat and a rattlesnake 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

HappyFeat

rattlesnakes, bobcats, and gorgeous scenery - you are definitely off-road now!

How are your left ankle and arch holding up to all these miles, PerfesserR?

I did 5 flat miles last night averaging 10:30 mpm; so I'm happy about that. That's going to be my new goal pace for my weekday runs. I've decided to be done with 11 as an average.

I'm into a new pair of shoes this week and I swear they must be defective. I feel like there's no arch support in the right foot  (and I wear orthotics) and I had sharp medial right knee pain last night.  I've run in them 3 times so far and I've noted this arch issue every time. I've worn the same shoe (Brooks Addiction)  for a long time and never had any problems, but I got this particular pair on a clearance sale and they definitely don't feel "perfect right out of the box" like I usually experience. 

The good news is that last week I got a special offer through my workplace to get Brooks shoes at a 40% discount, so I ordered up a new pair which arrived this morning. Trying them on at the office, they feel like heaven.  I can't wait to run in them tonight.

Thanks for the tip, Dutchie, about there being an adjustment phase to running the day after a Long Run. I'll give it another try and start with just 20 minutes.

Jeff, glad you're making progress and enjoying the swimming and biking.

MTA:  The new shoes that came today (Brooks Addiction 9) are a dream come true! They feel like cushy supportive pillows or something!  I had my fastest run in a long time in them tonight - and didn't feel like I was working any harder.  I ran 4 miles because 8 tomorrow will make 30 for the week, which is my plan. My average pace was 10:14 and mile 3 was under 10 mpm.  I'm encouraged in terms of what this means for the Rhody Run 12K on May 16. 

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Imminent Catastrophe

Happy, the left ankle is holding up fine, fortunately.

Nice tropical 3.8-mile run in Fivefingers to finish the week, warm and humid again but I felt much better this time. 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

I just got a new toy!