2000Km-1243 mile club

weekly? check in February (Read 445 times)

Its February - how are you all doing?

I tried the hills sprints 3 x 8sec on the treadmill conservatively (4% @ 10K pace) just to make sure I wouldn't fall off. It was fine.Really the goal incline and pace is 6-8% and 1500K pace, so I'll try higher and faster on Thursday on the treadmill again because...

Apparently the BIG ONE is on its way, but really it snows 6 inches here on and off and then gets cleared away fairly quickly. We'll see.

Perfesser - I dont wear yak traks. I just try to run in dry soft snow and avoid ice - had a bad fall years ago. Since I'm in the city it gets cleared away before packed down. The few trails I know locally will wait until spring.

Happy Wednesday, A

Recalculating...

HappyFeat

Second week of adding Mon/Wed speed workouts into my plan. Just finished my 8 miles on the treadmill, alternating every quarter-mile up and down 15 seconds per mile in speed.  It was harder than last Wednesday and I had lots of migratory twinges going on. Monday's progressive run was also harder than last week, but I thought that was 'cause I didn't run slow enough on Saturday's LR. I know for sure that I didn't run a slow enough recovery run last night. I'll work on that through the next week and then re-evaluate. It may be that I can only do one speed workout per week at first. 

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Dutchie42

So how's every one doing?

Nothing in particular to report. Did a 22K long run on Sunday plus a 5.6 kilometer doggie run. Strength training on Monday and a trip to the ER with Jimmy cause he broke his foot. Think there are lots of early morning doggie runs in my future.

I "slept thru the alarm" on Tue so no speed w/o. And did a 7.8 kilometer doggie run yesterday in total darkness (no moon) and soup like fog. Scary run.

My L-achilles is still bothering me. I've been foam rolling and some days are better than others. I do think I need to go to the PT though\. Will make an appointment for next week.

Dutchie
        Run the day, or the day runs you.

Having one of those rubbish weeks when you just don't feel like getting out the door.  Went out yesterday and got 3km down the road, turned around and went home.

Did a trail run on Saturday to the top of Karangahake, the day after a tropical cyclone went through, so not only was it steep and off-road, but also very wet/muddy.  Managed to bang my knee on a rock 2km in which really made the day seem memorable. It just jumped out and got me.....  Luckily just some mild bruising the next day.

Have another trail run (11km) planned for this weekend, not as steep.  Plan on taking it easy as I taper towards my 30km race on the 13th

“Attitude is the Difference Between an Ordeal and an Adventure”

Goals 2016

Do stuff

Imminent Catastrophe

Did a 10.3 today with dogs. I'm still recuperating from last weekends' marathon. Daisy and Taz really had a great time. I actually felt pretty good, considering. 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Dutchie42

50kph winds, but I ventured out anyway (had to walk the dogs, might as well put my running shoes on Wink ).Don't know if it's the stormy weather, or their time of the month, but both Spike and Spook were incredibly disobedient.

I only had to deal with the stormy wind in two short sections, twice (200 meters and 400 meters). Plus the bridge, but the wind had shifted direction compared to yesterday and wasn't as strong on the bridge. Managed a full 6.77 kilometers at a very slow pace, cause I had to wait for Spike very, very often.

Added on 30 minutes of biceps/triceps. And abs, again Surprised

Dutchie

Just finished a slow 6.2 miles in a bright sunny -2ºC, no wind, pretty great!

We did get a heavy snow on Wednesday, my walk home took 30 minutes instead of the usual 15, trudging through 18" of unshovelled snow, but by the next day it was pretty well cleaned up. I went to Ottowa for the day for a meeting with no airline delays. Phew. A bit sore on Thurs and Friday from a new exercise "sumo squats" the trainer dreamed up.

Another 6 miles tomorrow.

Building up to hour long runs 5 days a week (long run will be... longer) A

Recalculating...

HappyFeat

10 miles in IRC this a.m. Did better at keeping to a slow pace. Did yoga instead of running the last 2 nights in an effort to rejuvenate my legs for today's run. There are still some lingering lower leg complaints, so I've definitely decided to only do one weekly speed workout for the next couple of weeks and see if that makes the difference.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

14 mile group run, first of the Spring marathon training series, plus 3 more to stay on plan.  Upper 30's and windy.  Couldn't decide what to wear, but it was sunny at the start so I went with short sleeves and a rain vest to help with the wind.  About 3 miles in it clouded up and started to sleet.  I'm sure I looked not at all sane running up hill into a 15 mph wind with sleet pounding me in the face.  Thankfully, the sleet didn't last long and it was an out and back so the back was with the wind.  Much warmer with the wind at your back.

Looks like everyone is still doing great.  Let's keep it up.

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

Yesterday went for a swim at the school pool with the family then ran the 7.5km home.  27 deg C and very humid, not nice.

Today, slept in so got out the door late.  Ran up to the  top of Sanatorium hill (Maungakawa) which was a vertical climb of about 300m. Total distance up and down was about 12.5km. Still hot and humid

“Attitude is the Difference Between an Ordeal and an Adventure”

Goals 2016

Do stuff

Dutchie42

Storm is still full on with 50kph winds, and along the dike and the fields, it would be even worse than that. So I choose a loop that would have the wind either sort of in my back or I'd have a crosswind and there would only be a few bits where I'd have to battle a headwind.

I did my long run in 3 segments:
                        1 doggie run with Spike & Spook = 7.6K = 1:04:53 (really incredibly slow), left Spike in the car and continued with Spooky only

1 very slow run with Spooky only, same loop as before = 7.6K = 56:21 (still very slow), left Spooky also in the car and continued on my own

10 x a 950 meter loop = 9.5K = 1:04:58 (oops, that was faster than marathon pace)

This all added up to 24.7 kilometers in 3:06:12. Actual was a bit longer cause I'd have little breaks when I put a dog in the car. But I'm not counting that cause it's not part of a race, right? Not quite the 25 kilometers I'd planned, but that's OK.

Dutchie

Imminent Catastrophe

Wow, Dutchie, nice run. That weather is the reason treadmills were invented.

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

Dutchie42

Wow, Dutchie, nice run. That weather is the reason treadmills were invented.

Thanks Perfesser. I did 22K on the TM last Sunday and I really wanted to go outside todaySmile The wind was so strong that in areas where I had a headwind, I had to battle my way forward walking!

Dutchie

Dutchie42

Felt much colder than 7C today. Took the car for repairs, then from there took the long and slow way home: 15.64K.
                              Struggled my way thru the first 7 kilometers, then pace increased without trying and it went well for the next 5 kilometers. I then had to change my route slightly and take a grassy path, instead of the road and twisted my ankle SadThings went downhill from there. Ankle seems OK now.

Perfesser: didn't you buy a pair of Asics GT 2140 that didn't run well a while ago? The balls of your feet would hurt? Like there wasn't enough cushioning?

I had the same problem back then. I was at the running store last week and told them about it. They had a solution. The shoes were probably too soft and I needed insoles. The kind with the bump in the middle to support the arch. Guess what, I can now run in them without problems. I'll admit though, my longest distance in them so far is today's run. If you still have the shoes, you could try it, see if it works?

Dutchie

Imminent Catastrophe

That wasn't me, I did have some 2120 but I've switched to Mizuno. I do recall thinking that the 2100 series went downhill with each version, i.e. the 2100 was better than the 2120.