2000Km-1243 mile club

Who's still running? (Read 8 times)

Dutchie42

Hi everybody,

I've been peeking in regularly, but there's not much life in this group anymore. Should we officially disband and close this group?

Who's still running?

Greetz,

Dutchie

Dutchie
    Run the day, or the day runs you.

HappyFeat

Hi Dutchie, I'm still running --- don't know how to quit even if I wanted to! How about you?

This group doesn't seem to be serving its motivational purpose and no one is sharing their experiences here anymore, so I suppose closing it is appropriate. Or you could leave it open and see if it revives.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Dutchie42

Hi Happy Feat, Good to hear you're still running. Too bad everyone dropped out of sight. Maybe they're all gathering in another group. Isn't there a 2000 mile group somewhere?

I stopped working out all together late September due to being overworked and being completely stressed out. Was even home sick the whole month of December. Silly to stop, as apparently running is good for you when you're that stressed Smile As I slowly started feeling better again I started running again. Doing my best not to put any pressure on myself to run (or lift or whatever). Haven't got any goals other then getting back into a workout routine, even if it's only 15 min a day.

Have you got any races planned?

Maybe I'll leave the group as is for now, see if anyone is coming back or joining.

ETA: I've cleaned up the members list. I've kicked everyone out of the group who hasn't been here since before June 2015. They can join again if they want to. Plus everyone who hasn't been running at all.

Dutchie

HappyFeat

Good for you for getting back into it, Dutchie! Half the battle is simply making it part of your daily/weekly routine and becoming consistent.  I still struggle to do that with my hand-weights workout.

I had to find a new job in November when my previous office folded, The new job has affected my running in a number of ways. I'm more drained after work - which is when I run - and I get home later, so getting to bed on time is harder - and then I don't want to get up early which I need to do for my yoga/pilates workout....a vicious circle. I'm getting better at managing it though.  Didn't you start a new job in the last year also?

I don't have any races planned right now. My current goal is to improve my stamina so I can break 4:30 in a marathon - maybe in the fall? I haven't picked one out yet.

I ran a 25K trail race in Feb though, at which - after 4 years of trying - I finally finished in 3:30. I'm over the moon about that especially since I didn't train for it, wasn't going to even run it this year, and then signed up at the last minute. Glad I did since I had a blast!

Keep up the good work of getting fit again, Dutchie. Let me know how it goes. ~A

Dear Happy and Dutchie,

I'm occasionally around but not  logging my runs. I took on an extra project drawing up house plans this winter. That plus the regular work life stress and exercise took the back seat for awhile. Now that's done I may consider a training schedule again.

No races scheduled this year so far - I'm just running lightly and hanging around the gym when I can.

Good to "hear" from you guys, A

Recalculating...

Dutchie42

Hi Ayola, great to hear from you I don't have any races planned either. Just trying to run consistently and not self-sabotaging my exercising.

Happy: I don't have a new job, but I have been job hunting for a while. I am finally rid of the jerk boss I worked for, thanks to our new general manager who stepped in. But now I have this boring job where I only make appointments and answer the phone. Something I did 30 years ago. So I continue job hunting. My age seems to be the major obstacle in landing a job though, so who knows if I'm stuck in this dead end job till I retire? Hope not.

Today was a 4.5K easy run. Still need plenty short recovery walks. Because I just don't seem to know how to run slowly anymore... Not that I'm fast by anyones standard. Plus I need to stretch my R-calf a lot. Has always been a problem at the start of a run. But today I managed to run for 1 kilometer solid. You know why? Because there was another runner behind me Pride was King today .

Dutchie

HappyFeat

But today I managed to run for 1 kilometer solid. You know why? Because there was another runner behind me Pride was King today .

That is HILARIOUS!!

On the other hand, I ran as fast as I never have up a hill last week on an out-and-back, because on my way out I passed a "suspicious looking character". I was afraid he might be lurking to grab me on my way back.  Several times going up that hill, I thought I heard something, so I really picked my feet up. Lordy! I had to stop at the top to let my pounding heart come back to normal and stretch my calves.  Showed me what I could do though - on a day I thought I couldn't.

Good luck with the job hunting, Dutchie. I don't know - sometimes I wish I still had my old boring job because I could stick to an exercise schedule and pretty much always had energy to run after work. There's trade-offs with everything though and no job is going to be perfect. I'm in with a solid employer now - no risk of going under - so I feel lucky given the lack of jobs in my rural area.

Hi Ayola! Thanks for checking in. Sounds like your plate has been full.  Hopefully you get some warm weather soon that entices you outdoors more.

PS Happy Belated Birthday, Ayola!

Dutchie42

Happy: you are right, everything is a trade off. But my personality needs challenges. Not the depressing kind, but the new and fun kind Smile Suspicious looking characters do spoil your run somewhat, don't they? Even if they turnn out to be harmless. But they do make you push yourself Smile Great work!

I've been consistent with my strength training this week. Not so with the running. But I'm still making progress. Almost back to running 5 kilometer.

Today I really wasn't in the mood for a run because my legs were still tired from an unexpected 23 kilometer bike ride last Thursday. And we had chilly temps and snow The kind that melts really quickly. Nevertheless, I didn't want to run outside. I have the luxury of owning a TM, so I dragged myself onto the machine and ran. I totally enjoyed it, despite having to push myself.

Added on a short LB workout. My legs have gone all flabby in the past 6 months where I barely worked out. There was a time where that didn't matter, I still looked toned. But age is doing a number on me. If I don't keep at it, I loose it.

Dutchie

Thanks for the happy birthday wishes...

First really warm day yesterday (22^C) . I sat in the front porch at sunset, so relaxing after a stressful week. This morning perfect temps for a very short 2 miler and lots of raking around the house. Whoa there's a lot if garden clean up to do. I'm hoping my beans and greens will poke up soon. Haven't planted anything else just yet  

Happy. - keep away from those suspicious characters!

Recalculating...

Dutchie42

FIRST 5 KILOMETER RUN OF 2016 Had to take a couple of walk breaks and my Polar HRM says it was a demanding run and I need to rest for 24 hrs

I was on the TM. We're having horrible weather: today, yesterday, tomorrow, the whole week.... Besides, I somehow can push myself more on the TM then on the road?

Ayola: 22C? I wish! A 2 miler is still a run!  I hear you about the garden. I bought a weed burner to do some of the work. Haven't used it yet though. Too much rain.

Dutchie

HappyFeat

Good work Dutchie!  Rest up - and go again!!

I find it easier to do intervals on the TM. It's seems like it's harder to generate the energy out out the road sometimes.

Enjoy the spring weather, Ayola. We're having some pretty days, but still a bit chilly because of the wind...always windy in spring here.

HappyFeat

This past work week put me through the wringer. I got up early for yoga/core work the first three days, but that meant only 6.5 hours sleep - not enough for me.  So I skipped that Thurs and Friday. Then, even though I did not run yesterday, I felt pretty much tapped out for today's run. :-(  Hoping to feel better for tomorrow's run.

Dutchie? Ayola? How was your week?

Imminent Catastrophe

Guilty. Sorry guys, I've been AWOL. Still running, I finally got into Western States! Running Cruel Jewel 50 miler in a couple of weeks (this is a really tough trail race, I expect to take 16-17 hours to finish on these nasty tough trails. Then June 25 is States. I'm really excited, I've been looking forward to this for many years. Also became friends with Ann Trason, who is one of the kindest, nicest people I've ever met, and totallly without ego. All this has really got me motivated, I've been doing a LOT of quality miles on tough trails.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

HappyFeat

Congratulations on getting into WS - that's GREAT news, PerfesserR!  I've listened to several podcast interviews with Ann Trason. She has some great stories and advice.  Good luck with your training and running the 50. I'll think of you when I'm out on the trail.

I just mapped out a game plan of weekend long runs in training for a possible trail marathon in July. I may not get to do it, but the training involves hours and hours on the trail. So - here goes!

Along the lines of "it's always SOMETHING!"  I managed to pull my calf/achilles at home last night sprinting to get a fly swatter for a hornet in the office.  The calf just seized up! Still hurts, but I've iced, stretched,and rubbed Voltaren into it.  Heading out for a 3-hour trail run in a couple of hours. We'll see....

Dutchie42

Sorry guys. I missed most of last week. It was not a good week from a health perspective. That always seems to happen: I reach a milestone, in this case 5K, and shit happens. I had really bad stomach problems last week. Intense stomach pains, and I mean so intens I was prescribed Tramodol It's not clear what caused it. My stomach suddenly started bothering me two days after my 5K (Wed). All I know is I ate a boiled egg and within 15 min the pain started. Weird huh? And it lasted for 4 days. The pain intensity gradually went down and last Monday after work I thought I could attempt another run. My stomach definitely didn't like the higher impact. Tried again on Friday and that was much better. Ran this morning on the TM again, cause the running shop gave me "foamy" insoles to alleviate the stiff lower legs while running. That did seem to help. So Tuesday I go out on the road and see if these new insoles really do the trick with my new shoes.

Perfesser: great to see you! I really cannot fathom running 16-17 hrs. Wow! I think a marathon is really the limit for me, if I ever get that far again. Why couldn't you get in earlier? Did entries fill up really quickly?

Happy: sometimes our bodies need more rest then our minds think they do. You've been running quite a lot of miles. Take it easy and the energy will come back. A trail marathon? That sounds as grueling to me right now as Perfesser's WS.

Dutchie