2000Km-1243 mile club

Weekly check-in 18-24 January (Read 384 times)

Heffa: didn't you do any core work before? Good to hear you are making progress. Did the PT give you a prognoses on when you might be able to run again? Or did I miss that post somewhere?

All good questions.  You have not missed anything as far as I can tell.  The only guidance my PT has given me is take it slow and don't do anything that hurts.  Of course this does not include the exercises she has given me for homework, those can hurt and some how that's OK.  So I have found that the elliptical does not hurt even if I go pretty hard, but the running is still very slow and starts to hurt after only a couple 100 yards.  It's going to be a slow build up but I should be running pretty regular within a couple weeks.

Did I do any core before?  Well, the short answer is no (I thought I was doing core but I wasn't).  I was always big on doing at least pushups and situps almost every day.  Then last year about this time I injured my stomach (not sure how) and it was too painful to do any kind of ab work or even to do pushups because I had to tighten my abs.  So for the last year I did absolutely no core exercises.

The bigger problem, I am learning, is that I didn't know what core work was.  I was under the impression that as long as I could do a bunch of situps and had a six pack that I had good core strength.  I was sorely mistaken.  In the last 3 weeks I am doing the first real core work in my life. 

MTA - Russ - No, I am not planning on running Cooper River this year.  We just visited there a couple months ago.  I have only run the old bridge.  I would like to run the new bridge but I'm not sure when I will be able to work it in.

Dutchie42

drPhibes: I received an email today with the team training plan and got all excited and scared.

6 Feb - 4 hour running clinic

13 March - 63 kilometer relay race for teams of 4 runners with 2 cyclists and 1 car + driver per team (nearly 16 kilometers per runner)

17-18 April - 24hr relay run with full support (cyclists, drivers, PTs, cooks etc).

22-24 May - the real thing, the Paris-Rotterdam relay

I think they're building it up nicely. I'll let you know about everything I learn about this long distance relay running thing

Heffa: so what is real core work? I'm doing core work (which includes low abs, mid abs, high abs, obliques and low back), well, I try to fit it in regularly, but now you have me wondering if I'm doing it right. BTW, my six pack is hiding...

Dutchie
      Run the day, or the day runs you.

Imminent Catastrophe

The bigger problem, I am learning, is that I didn't know what core work was.  I was under the impression that as long as I could do a bunch of situps and had a six pack that I had good core strength.  I was sorely mistaken.  In the last 3 weeks I am doing the first real core work in my life. 

Care to elaborate? I think you've mentioned it before but  I can't find it. Do you have a reference for the core work you're doing? I think a lot of us are in the same boat.

MTA: had a pretty good day, 40 minutes elliptical (10 of those with the ramp at 15, so it was a nice hill workout). Then 3 miles on the TM without discomfort. 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

The core work I am doing is rather hard to explain.  I have searched the internet and have not found a good description of it either.  I will do my best to explain.

The cornerstone to the workout is abdominal bracing.  The easiest way to practice this is to lay flat on your back (legs straight) then contract your lower abs and upper glutes and try to pull your navel to your back and push your back to the floor.  For me it took a couple of days to really embrace this maneuver.  All the other exercises are additions to this move.  Once you have that mastered you can do leg raises, bridges, bring your knees up one at a time and resist with your hands, etc.  The key to all of the exercises is to hold your pelvis in the abdominal brace position.

Then once you have the pelvic brace figured out you can do all kinds of standing exercises and planks.  I think a lot of people are familiar with planks.  They are a great core workout.  They are much more beneficial if you are bracing your abs while you do them.  Then you can work into some side and back planks as well.  The standard push-up position is basically a plank (ie core exercise).  I think it's interesting that when I was doing push-ups and sit-ups all the time I thought the sit-ups were the core exercise.

Then there is a whole other set of exercises I'm doing for my hips but that's another story.

This page had the most info about the style of exercise I've been doing.

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/abdominalcorestrength1/a/NewCore.htm

MTA - One other important point, don't hold your breath during the core exercises.  You have to learn to dissociate your diaphragm from your core muscles.

Dutchie42

Thanks for the info Heffa

6.71 easy kilometers today. With a little 5 minute sprint at the end.

Dutchie
            Run the day, or the day runs you.

That core training page looks interesting... thanks Heffa

Chickened out of 8 miles and ran a bit under 4. -11º I think is my record! Very pretty day, but the wind was brutal on my face - the other gear (new windbreaker and mittens) worked perfectly.

I'll ty for another (hopefully slightly warmer) 6 miles tomorrow.

Recalculating...

Dog-Love

Perfessor...I think I mentioned last week that I had a horrendous ab work out and in 30 minutes I was crying.  We did some of those navel to the floor things and then some V-s holding position.  I wasn't noticing soreness the next day but the following day....yikes.

ANyway I am going to keep those up

Running is going well slow and steady and outside on trails.  Rusty is still good for 3-5 and I just noticed that when we run on roads he seems to not want to run but out on any trail he is a puppy again

Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
                zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

25.3 miles run

33.7 miles bike trainer

I'm tired...ran 10 today with Heather73 (I need to get her in here).  Glad to join this group.  Looks like an active, motivating place! Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom: you're right, this is a great group.  Plenty of activity, plenty of support, a range of skill levels.  Participate and you'll be more than rewarded.

Raced today.  Supposed to be a 5K, but the watch said it was more like 3 miles. I was trying to break 24, but knew after the 2nd mile it wasn't going to happen and shut it down a little.  Then as I neared the finish it looked like I had a shot so I turned it back on.  Crossed at an unofficial 23:58.  Very excited until I realized it hadn't been a full 3.1. Afterward I found out it wasn't a certified course. Would have been good to know earlier.  My bad.

Tomorrow, just to show that I'm not smart, it's 20 miles.  5 weeks to New Orleans.

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

Just a dude.

I had a good week this week.. My first week over 20miles.

Thursday we got about 6-8 inches of snow.  So I changed my plan, and instead of doing a nice easy 2 mile, I ran a little over 3, which included about 1.2 miles on a horse trail.  I really wanted to be the first to make prints on the snow, but someone beat me to it. At least most of it.  At about 1/4 mile to go, they turned and went up a heck of a hill... I got some fresh powder...

This workout forced me to add a new category to my training log... FUN.

Friday, even with tired legs, something got in me and I ran fast.  Faster than I thought I could...  And with very negative splits.

So overall, a good week...

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

HappyFeat

Good luck tomorrow, Dutchie!

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Dog-Love

Glad to join this group.  Looks like an active, motivating place! Smile

Welcome Zoomers.  This is where all the Action is.  I X-country skied today while my daughter raced in snow shoes.  I can keep up with her only when she has tennis rackets attached to her feet.

Tonight my dd and I are going to our running club's annual dinner because we both got 1st place in the year;s worth of runs (not fastest....its just that we show up to a lot of them)

Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
                            25.3 miles run

33.7 miles bike trainer

I'm tired...ran 10 today with Heather73 (I need to get her in here).  Glad to join this group.  Looks like an active, motivating place! Smile

I'm here, I'm here! Let the party begin!!!!

HappyFeat

Welcome Heather and Zoomy - so glad to have you join the fun!

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Tonight my dd and I are going to our running club's annual dinner because we both got 1st place in the year;s worth of runs (not fastest....its just that we show up to a lot of them)

Ha, my DH won an award last year within the JDRF cycling team--he was the person at the most group rides out of all of the team (I think 40-some people).

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay