2000Km-1243 mile club

Weekly check-in: 5-11 April (Read 405 times)

Dutchie42

Ayola: I don't really know. I don't really taper for a half mary. With 3 weeks out you mean 3 weekends? So the race is on the 3rd weekend? I suppose it wouldn't make much of a difference. I've seen training schedules that don't take you further than a 10-miler. How many 13 milers have you done by then?

About Summer, I'll be recovering in June from the Roparun I think, and I'll have to just see what kind of long runs I can do. Then from July onwards I'll be building again because of a 30K race on the last Sunday of September and maybe, just maybe, the Amsterdam Marathon 3 weeks later. I'll be running a couple of 30+ long runs anyway, so I might decide to run the marathon.

I'm a bit annoyed with myself. I didn't do any running or workouts yesterday. I was studying from7AM onwards till nearly 6PM. I had a couple of breaks inbetween for coffee, lunch etc. But I didn't even do my usual Thursday chores like laundry or grocery shopping. I was on a roll and I wasn't gonna stop.

ETA:

#$#@@, my lower calfs were incredibly tight this morning. I had to stop numerous times in the first half of my 10 kilometer to try and stretch them out. Serves me right for not running two days in a row. Last 4 kilometers were great though. But I did love to be out there.

Dutchie
    Run the day, or the day runs you.

Dutchie42

trying to post a pic of a hill on the Roparun relay course. And plenty more like that around. Can't make the pic any bigger though. But I think you can tell it's not a tiny hilly.

Dutchie

Dutchie42

Now here's where I live. Can you tell the difference? Second pic is the bike path between Spike's beloved mud fields (where they grow carrots and peas and stuff).

Dutchie

Dutchie42

And here's the tree tunnel I always talk about. My own private twilight zone where the end never seems to come any nearer. At the end the dike awaits.

Dutchie

Just a dude.

Hmmm... Today I went for a run and I just wanted to open it up a little... Not really like a time trial, but push the pace out just a bit... I've been doing lots of hill runs and stuff lately and just kinda wanted to stretch it out...

I hadn't run this course in a while, and I couldn't remember if it was 5.4 miles or 6.1... 

Ended up my time was 48 minutes... and the course was in fact 6.06... I am quite surprised I ran that fast... (Sub 8s)

Tomorrow is 13.1 with the club with monster hills.  I might have pushed too much today for tomorrow, but oh well... I'll take it easy Sunday... 

I'll try to take some photos tomorrow and see how our sage brush covered desert compares to your green tree covered places...

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

Dutchie42

THE PERFECT RUN

Gorgeous Spring weather, two dogs that were unbelievably well-behaved, and  I was running the whole 7 kilometer loop without any problems whatsoever. And guess what, we did it in 47 minutes and change. This included a few breaks to wait for Spike to come back. He'd be running way ahead of me and turning right, when I wanted to turn left, etc. But he immediately came back when I called out to him. That doggie must have done an extra 1000 meters easily.

AMAZING RUN

Dutchie

Thanks DrPhibes, good advice - I guess I'm already getting nervous.

I like the idea of trying parts of my longer runs a little faster- I've noticed that I'm running my downhills at close to HM race pace so maybe I'll just plan to do that (and slow down the rest of the time)

I'm going to try the race course next week - I'm familiar with the big hill which is right in the middle - we'll see how 6 extra miles after it works.

Dutchie: is it already green where you are?! No sage bush here, but I probably can snap a photo of the cold Atlantic.

Rest today - 8 tomorrow to finish up a 30 mile week.

A

Recalculating...

Last medium long run before Boston today.  Did 12 miles at marathon pace (goal pace 8:45) and my HR never broke 140.  I feel like I'm as ready as I can be (with the limited training time).  All that is left to do now is worry, fret, obsess, second guess, doubt, etc.
                  Dutchie42

Ayola: no, it's not that green yet. Pics are from last Summer/September. Fields are green again, but the trees aren't quite there yet.

Great 10K run this morning, despite the depressing weather (grey, windy, cold). Spike was on leash for most of it, cause I was adding another 1.3K to his longest run. If he would show signs of fatigue at the end I would walk home, but he did unbelievably well. Spooky was off leash for the middle part of the run. But she's used to long distances.

l'll drive out to a 15K course with 5 big bridges after lunch and run the remainder of the 25K planned for today. I'll be back to report on that one. Hope the weather won't get any worse than it is now.

Dutchie

Dutchie42

I finally did the Push Ups &Abs w/o I was supposed to on Thursday. The abs part was very doable, but the push ups... oh dear, I'll need months to be able to do all 150 of them
                      After lunch I added my long run. The weather wasn't too inviting so I opted for the TM, a movie and great running music. And I can't believe I did this. My legs just kept going and going and going. I ran at a steady 9.0K/h with a few 30 sec. 10K striders thrown in to make up for my walk break. At the 60min mark (9 kilometers) I had a walk break for water and a gel. I did:
                      20min (approx. 3K) @ 0%
                      3:30min (approx. 500 meters) @ 5%
                      20min (approx. 3K) @ 0%
                      3:30min (appox. 500 meters) @ 6%
                      20min (approx. 3K) @ 0%
                      3:30min (approx. 500 meters) @ 7%
                      20min (approx. 3K) @ 0%
                      3:30min (approx. 500 meters) @ 8%
                      20min (approx. 3K) @ 0%
                      My legs just didn't want to stop. But with already 2K more than I had planned, and a R-hip that's been bugging me again since last Friday, my brain decided it was time to stop.
                      Amazing run!

Dutchie

Good weekend.

Yesterday ran in a 10K race.  Have to confess that, knowing how bad my 10K PR was, I didn't give this one a full effort.  Got under an hour, but other than the last mile just tried to take it smooth and easy because today...

21 mile group run.  This time, I didn't get lost (unlike the fall) so I got in the full 21.  Took it easy and then tried the last 5 at goal MP.  Learned that I still suck at holding any kind of consistent pace.  Planning on joining the 4:30 pace group in 2 weeks (even though I think 4:35 is probably a more reasonable goal) so I won't have to manage it all by myself.

Dutchie: monster miles! You should be primed for the test relay this weekend.

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

Dutchie42

Brian: I hope so.

Each team of 8 runners is going to be running 2x50 and 2x30 kilometers. Which means that each sub group of 4 runners will be running 1x50, then have a rest while the other sub group runs 1x50, then the first sub group will continue with 1x30 and then rest. This apparently comes down to each individual runner running approx. 12.5 kilometers and 7.5 kilometers. Which doesn't sound bad at all, does it? Assuming all runners will show up.

However, we'll be running from 3PM on Saturday till 7AM on Sunday. This is really going to be interesting. Part of me is scared, part of me is excited

Speaking of monster miles, how about your 21 miler! Impressive!

Dutchie

Imminent Catastrophe

Pretty good week again, with a 6-mile trail run and 14.8 long run. I'm feeling like I'm back in the groove and my pace is better, although the right foot is acting up a lot lately. The left ankle which I was worried about seems to be holding up pretty well. Serious race season starts in May!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016