2000Km-1243 mile club

September 2014 (Read 13 times)

Good morning all,

A bit of a stressful week, but I'm up early having a cup of chicken soup before a long run. Looks like it will be a warm and sticky one, leaving early for a weekend run around 7:30. I'm hoping for 2 hours 15 or 2 hours 30. I stopped by  the rails to trails path last week, it's redone and open so I'll run there. Less hilly than the run to Dingle tower but no awesome halfway point view.

Left Hamstrings is still stiff but manageable with stretching and massage. Also, my trusty old Brooks are 400+ miles...When the month turned over I noticed I was back up to the mileage I like (93 in August) and I'm planning on 100 in September. The jump from mid year lower mileage this summer was probably too great not to have a minor injury so I'm monitoring myself.

Happy Saturday, A

Recalculating...

HappyFeat

Happy Saturday is right! I had a great run at today's trail 14-mile "half marathon." I stuck to my agreement of accompanying a new friend who is fairly new to running. She did really well and we finished at about 2:35 which was a PR for her. I ran behind her and chafed at the bit for the first 3 miles before reminding myself that's exactly why I set up this arrangement - to keep me in check and not overdo it or twist an ankle before Victoria! The course was gorgeous and the temps did not get as hot as predicted; so it was a great day.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Great job! And great time - were you thinking it would be much longer?

Recalculating...

HappyFeat

Yes, I thought we'd come in around 3 hours for a number of reasons: it was supposed to be hotter and it was reported to be mostly uphill, both of which would mean we'd run slower. Also she is still building endurance and is not accustomed to keep running when she feels tired. So she takes frequent walk breaks.  It was only a few weeks ago that she told me she ran her first "hour without stopping."  So I was prepared for more having to walk more. As it turned out because she has really long legs, she could be walking uphill and I was still in running motion. I admit I walked a few bits with her though.

It was pretty funny at the end though. We weren't sure how far we were from the end and there was a hill that she groaned over. So I went ahead a bit and then reached back and took her hand pulling her up alongside me.   We made it to the top and then we saw a sign that marked the entrance to the finish line area which was down a small hill. So I said we should sprint to the finish. After all her "fatigue," she took off like a shot! I tried to pump my legs to run faster and nearly fell flat on my face!! Guess I was the one with tired legs after all :-)

Nice looking running log Ayola.  Building up nicely.

Happy, good work on the pacing job.  Good time for a 14 miler.

Me....I was away most of the week so did a few runs while I was away.  Got a moderate paced run done in the morning then went out with a slower colleague in the evening.

Then on the weekend.....nothing.  Went to a scallop festival on the coast. Probably drank way more than I should have, then spent all Sunday recovering.

Time to get back into it. Tomorrow

Meanwhile, on the extreme end of the craziness scale is my friend Perry Newburn.  He is currently running across the USA, attempting to break the record of 46 days.  More info here. 1 week down.

“Attitude is the Difference Between an Ordeal and an Adventure”

Goals 2016

Do stuff

HappyFeat

Go Perry!!! Wow! So what's the farthest he's run before? I read Marshall Ulrich's book. It did not make the adventure sound appealing one little bit.

So how did your week go, Puke? Still planning on those big weekend workouts?

Mine has sucked a bit in different ways. Regardless, I'm trying to marshall some positive thoughts for tomorrows extra-long run. I'll be on the paved bike trail for that. The first 10 miles rolling hills, next 12 flat except for a couple short hills. I feel very out of touch with what my fitness level is because so much of my running lately has been spent managing the hip pain.  Hopefully tonight's chiropractic treatment (3rd one) will do the trick and I will only have to focus on completing the run under 4 hours. That would be 11 mpm. My target is to average 10:30 to 10:45, but that's pure fantasy at this point.

Ayola - You have a nice long run on your calendar this weekend too. Ready for it?

MTA: Here is a verse I like by Thich Nhat Hanh, a Buddhist monk:

I have arrived.

I am home.

In the here.

In the now.

I am solid.

I am free,

In the ultimate, I dwell.

When running is good, that's what it feels like to me. Let's all have good runs this weekend.

Thanks Puke! Trying to hang on to a 6 hr/ week workout schedule. Hopefully one day it will feel easy.

I'm sure I'll stray over to Perry Newburn blog as its way more interesting than contractor's progress billing.

Saturday morning here,

Short, slow and stiff run this morning - now I'm at the office watching the sailboats go by outside of my window...

Planning for 2.5 hours (11.5-12 miles) tomorrow, it may be a midday run as its supposed to be stormy tonight, the hamstrings seem to be improving - with lots of work -  so I'll take it slowly and hope for the best. Good simple one hour runs this week and spin class - just starting to feel a bit of improvement. I am solid.

Happy - I hope the chiropractor helps, did you get a chance to rest a bit after the HM effort last week? A good reminder for me to schedule more massage.

Thinking about the future a bit - I need to look for a later fall race goal next year (sometime in November near american thanksgiving) I feel like I'm missing the best 4-6 weeks of training available in the year.

A

Recalculating...

HappyFeat

If "resting" means hitting the snooze for an extra hour and skipping my morning yoga pretty much all week, then yes, I rested. Of course I only did that because I went to bed late, so it didn't really translate into more sleep. That's the way I roll :-)    I did run a few less miles on 3 of the 4 runs this week, so that should translate into "some rest."  We shall see what today's run shows me. The forecast is for 70F, so it could be a warm one.

Go Perry!!! Wow! So what's the farthest he's run before? I read Marshall Ulrich's book. It did not make the adventure sound appealing one little bit.

So how did your week go, Puke? Still planning on those big weekend workouts?

I think Perry has done up to about 3000 km maybe a bit more, but he is just a machine.

Didn't do any big workouts this weekend.  In fact most of the week ended up being a mess running wise.  Had to head back to my home town for my granmothers funeral.  She was 1 month shy of her 103rd birhtday so it was more of a celebration than grieving.  Love those sorts of funerals.  Got in a couple of runs though.  The thing about my home town is that it is really close to the start of the Marton to Wanganui ultra.....my absolute favourite.....which just happened to be on over the weekend.  I was not doing it this year as I have my 24 hour race in 2 weeks, but I still turned up and ran the first 9 km with some of my friends that were competing (1 of which is also doing the 24 but she is a machine as well) then did a fast run back to the start, stopping at times to run back with some of the slow relay runners.

Got a couple of runs planned this week then very easy next week.  Getting close to crapping myself :-)

Nice 21 miler Happy.  I am useless at converting minutes/mile to minutes/km so how did it go against your target. Hip ok?

How did your 2.5 hour run go Ayola?

Goals 2016

Do stuff

HappyFeat

Nice 21 miler Happy.  I am useless at converting minutes/mile to minutes/km so how did it go against your target. Hip ok?

Yeah, the conversion is confusing So I did it in my Garmin program, but I can't copy it to here. Oh well. This is what it says:

My main goal, given what all has been going wrong, was to simply finish 22 miles in 4 hours which would be 6:46 mpk pace

My official training plan called for averaging 10:30 to 10:45 mpm over the whole run.

This would be 6.33 to 6:41 mpk

In the end, I averaged 10:47 mpm which was 6:42 mpk.

I was supposed to pick up the pace in the last 5-6 miles. I did that for the 2 miles (yay!) right before the final 2, which sadly were 7:01 and 7:04 mpk :-(

Except for the disastrous last 2 miles, I feel like it went pretty well. I had to work to keep my pace where I wanted it, but thanks to Dawn, the chiropractor, the hip was pain free, although my back hurt a little at times. For most of the run, I had to put a lot of mental focus on form and posture, and staying balanced in my biomechanics. As for the adductor spasm - in hindsight I should have seen it coming. I had hints last week, but didn't get up in the mornings for my usual stretching and foam rollering routine. I won't be neglecting that this week for sure!

HappyFeat

I think Perry has done up to about 3000 km maybe a bit more, but he is just a machine.

Wow! That's almost 2000 miles!!!  He doesn't look like a machine, but I'll take your word for it. GO PERRY!!!!!

MTA: Want to add that even when someone is at the end of a good long life, it always seems too soon for them to pass. My gran died at 92 and was ready to go. I couldn't imagine my world without her. It's been 10 years and I still miss her.

Wow! That's almost 2000 miles!!!  He doesn't look like a machine, but I'll take your word for it. GO PERRY!!!!!

MTA: Want to add that even when someone is at the end of a good long life, it always seems too soon for them to pass. My gran died at 92 and was ready to go. I couldn't imagine my world without her. It's been 10 years and I still miss her.

Just checked and it is worse than I expected...he did 5000 km in 70 days.....3100 miles or thereabouts.

As for the grandmother, yeah it is sad that she has gone and I will miss her, but she never liked a fuss and would have been a bit grumpy if everyone had been morose.  After the funeral we visited the grave of a girl that had the same condition as our daughter but died aged 5.  Now that was sad, but helps ground us and reminds us how important it is to celebrate the now.  Which is why I so enjoy running with my daughter.

Goals 2016

Do stuff

Yeah, the conversion is confusing So I did it in my Garmin program, but I can't copy it to here. Oh well. This is what it says:

My main goal, given what all has been going wrong, was to simply finish 22 miles in 4 hours which would be 6:46 mpk pace

My official training plan called for averaging 10:30 to 10:45 mpm over the whole run.

This would be 6.33 to 6:41 mpk

In the end, I averaged 10:47 mpm which was 6:42 mpk.

I was supposed to pick up the pace in the last 5-6 miles. I did that for the 2 miles (yay!) right before the final 2, which sadly were 7:01 and 7:04 mpk :-(

Except for the disastrous last 2 miles, I feel like it went pretty well. I had to work to keep my pace where I wanted it, but thanks to Dawn, the chiropractor, the hip was pain free, although my back hurt a little at times. For most of the run, I had to put a lot of mental focus on form and posture, and staying balanced in my biomechanics. As for the adductor spasm - in hindsight I should have seen it coming. I had hints last week, but didn't get up in the mornings for my usual stretching and foam rollering routine. I won't be neglecting that this week for sure!

So it was a near perfect run then. Glass half full.

Goals 2016

Do stuff

Puke - thanks for sharing an important reminder to enjoy our runs and our life.

Now, I'll have to come up with something positive to say about my long run, ha! Started late to avoid a storm and It was hot and humid, hopefully the last hot one of the year as most morning temps are down to 10*C these days.  Anyhow it's done. 11 miles - 2:25:00 (slow) Hamstrings are a lot better....Not feeling 100% confident about my race in 4 weeks. Looking for 13 miles and cool breezes next time.

Busy upcoming week, I'll be running super early. I'm going to try for a 90 min on Wednesday in laws are on their way Thursday...

Happy Monday, A

Recalculating...

HappyFeat

Puke - thanks for sharing an important reminder to enjoy our runs and our life.

Yes, thanks from me too. Your input always helps me look at things in a better light.

5 EZ miles tonight. No hip pain. Yay.