2000Km-1243 mile club

June 2012 (Read 299 times)

Not much running going on here.  I did manage to get out with my new group on National Running day for a social run but that's about it.  Today should be my last day of extended work hours.  Back to the normal 40 hour work week next week......Yeah!  DW is progressing well and they are talking about giving her an early release for good behavior.  She could be out of the hospital by as early as the 14th if her counts keep up the current trend.  We have our living arrangements set up near the hospital for the post transplant time period.  This weekend will be spent sanitizing the whole house and setting up some good air filtration in preps for her arrival.  So much to do and so little time.

HappyFeat

Glad to hear the good report, Jeff.

I'm off work today - taking a vacation day since boss out of town. Going for an EZ run, then a massage therapy appt ( no, not the kind that feels good). 

Ran a decent Tempo run this week...started out tired and maybe that's why it was tough. Sandwiched 5 miles at 9:30 mpm in between w/u and c/d. Not sore the next day at all though.  Plan to stick with a weekly Tempo, but switch up the styles between something like that and a progression run.  I don't think I'm ready to think about faster Interval training yet.

Hope everyone else is running well.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Dutchie42

Great news about the wife Jeff  Smile Also good to hear that you get back to normal working hours. Will there be someone to help you with the care of your wife while you're at work?

Managed nearly 39 kilometers for the week last week. All short runs. Not bad at all.

Dutchie
        Run the day, or the day runs you.

Great news with DW Jeff

Dutchie....you're doing more weekly Kms than me at present :-)

Had a cold this week, but managed a 21km trail run yesterday to blow the snots out.

Have made the decision to not do the Midwinter Midnight Madness ultra at the end of the month.....just not ready for it. Plus I really need to invest in some better gear (backpack, jacket, headlamp) before trying such a remote track in the dark.

Plus....here is a video of part of the course which we would have to tackle at about 1am.  Looks bad enough in daylight hours.

Hamilton Track

So going to just slowly build up with some halfs over the next few months with some 30+km training runs thrown in for good measure.

Happy running all.

“Attitude is the Difference Between an Ordeal and an Adventure”

Goals 2016

Do stuff

Went for a quick fog burning 3.5 park run this morning, gorgeous everything is in bloom, sailboats and big ships of tourists are filling out the waterfront.

Not much running lately, house and work taking precedence - but it looks like we will be closing by the end of the month. Then we will have about a month of construction before the move. Best friend and kids arriving at the same time for a visit - I hope they have hammers!

Jeff - I'm really glad that your wife is moving through the chemo steps with success.

Happy monday, A

Recalculating...

Imminent Catastrophe

Well, the Utah Valley Marathon didn't go as I had hoped. It looked really fast on paper, big downhill. I was hoping for a 3:25 but unfortunately there was a NASA-wind-tunnel-strength headwind roaring up the canyon in our faces and it just sapped all my strength, especially on the uphill parts. The 3:30 pace guy passed me around mile 15 and I couldn't keep up, I was just dragging by the time the 3:35 pacer passed me a few miles later. Ended up with 3:38+. The downhill blasted out my quads too. Oh well, consider it a really hard training run!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

HappyFeat

I'm so frustrated with myself right now. I really like the idea of listening to my body and adjusting my running as needed, but I don't actually DO that! I thought this through at lunch today and realized there are exactly 4 specific runs in the last 2 weeks when I said to myself hours before running, "I should only run X miles" (a shorter distance) because of how I'm feeling. None of those times did I do that though. No I just had to do what I originally penciled in on the game plan. So I'm experiencing the predictable outcome of that in the form of a relapse of my left arch injury and an aggravation of my right pyriformis/glute issue. Not what I thought would happen, but what I should have known would happen if I didn't modify my activity level based on the signals I was getting.  AAAARGH!  Wonder if it will finally sink in now.

HappyFeat

Well, the Utah Valley Marathon didn't go as I had hoped. It looked really fast on paper, big downhill. I was hoping for a 3:25 but unfortunately there was a NASA-wind-tunnel-strength headwind roaring up the canyon in our faces and it just sapped all my strength, especially on the uphill parts. The 3:30 pace guy passed me around mile 15 and I couldn't keep up, I was just dragging by the time the 3:35 pacer passed me a few miles later. Ended up with 3:38+. The downhill blasted out my quads too. Oh well, consider it a really hard training run!

This is a belated "Well Done!" PerfesserR. Sounds like a challenging race with that awful headwind. I think your finish time is awesome! Hope your legs are making a comeback now.

I've had a light running week with foot/arch issues. No long run for me today, but am going to give it a go on the TM. That way I can stop right away when/if pain hits....hoping that won't happen of course. My right arch hurts more than the left now, out of sympathy I think!

Had meetings at Rotorua this week, so squeezed in a couple of early morning trail runs in the dark.  All went well until 5km on day 2 when I stepped in a rut and rolled my ankle.  Mental note...headlamps are rubbish for picking up how deep things are Sad

Managed to run back to the car, but ankle swelled up a bit. Not as bad as I thought it would be.  Managed to spend a couple of hours at the pool today, and some time on the hydroslide with the son.  Will take it easy for teh week and see what happens.

Go easy on those arches Happy.

“Attitude is the Difference Between an Ordeal and an Adventure”

Goals 2016

Do stuff

Russ - Sounds like a tough marathon.  Maybe not the best numbers but a strong effort.

Happy -  I know what your saying.  I think we are all in the same boat of not listening to our bodies.  I try but usually fail.

DW has been discharged from the hospital and I'm in Richmond taking care of her.  Daily visits to the clinic for transfusions is the main order of business.  Grocery shopping, house cleaning and food prep makes up the rest of the day.  I've been squeezing in some runs while she is in the clinic.  I really enjoy running in downtown Richmond.  Yesterday was an 8 mile exploration of the parts of Belle Isle that i missed before and today was a 6 miler up Monument Ave.

HappyFeat

Puke -  Sooo sorry to hear about the ankle! Here's my unsolicited First Aid advice, having just had a minor ankle sprain in May, I can tell you what I did. Wrap soft ice packs around the ankle several times a day for at least 20 minutes. Elevate above the level of your heart at the same time if you can; otherwise some other time. If you can sleep with it propped up on a pillow, that will really help get the swelling down. When you are up and around, wrap it with an Ace wrap (compression bandage).  Don't run until you can: walk pain free, jump up and down on both legs pain free, hop up and down on the injured leg pain free, and make circles with your foot. Hope you heal fast!

My TM run went well yesterday, so I'll try it again this morning.

HappyFeat

Hi Jeff - It's terrific that you are getting in some pleasurable runs in Richmond. Doubtless that helps you manage the rest of your activities in a better frame of mind. Did you have to take medical leave from work? It sounds like everything is going as well as can be expected. I'm keeping you and your family in my thoughts. 

Hi Jeff - It's terrific that you are getting in some pleasurable runs in Richmond. Doubtless that helps you manage the rest of your activities in a better frame of mind. Did you have to take medical leave from work? It sounds like everything is going as well as can be expected. I'm keeping you and your family in my thoughts. 

I'm taking leave as required.  My company is being very flexible about it so I just basically tell them the days I need off.  I get one week of dependent care and have 4 weeks of vacation available.  That should be enough to cover it.  We have a great network of friends that will be pulling most of the load for us.  I just got a delivery of 10 frozen meals last night so now I don't even have to worry about cooking.

HappyFeat

It's good to hear you have such a wonderful support system in place, Jeff.

So Ayola, you found a house to buy? renovate? That sounds exciting.

MTA: So I've determined my arch pains are due to (again) shoes at the end of their lifespan. It can be hard to know, but was pretty clear tonight when I put on the old shoes and by the end of a half mile had pretty bad arch pain. Switched to the new shoes I've been rotating in  and ran pain-free the rest of the run. Onward and upwardBig grin

Imminent Catastrophe

Today was harder than I expected. I was up really early for work, got home afternoon, by the time I was ready to run it was 4:30 p.m. and so hot and humid and I was SO tired, I really wanted to blow it off but managed to get the shoes on and out the door, once I got started it was OK. TOday's assignment was 3 miles easy, 3 moderate, 3 tempo, 2 hard, 1 cooldown. By the time I finished the tempo part I was so hot I had to do the rest on the treadmill. Still, it really wiped me out. I can't wait for cooler weather!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016