2000Km-1243 mile club

Weekly check in: 18-24 October (Read 371 times)

Had a pretty good 5K this morning.  I was really hoping for a PR since I feel like I should be able to do it.  My current PR is 19:55 and by my watch I should have had a 19:45 this morning but I think the course was a little long so I ended up with a 19:58.  Good enough for 5th overall and another AG but I'm still feeling a little let down.  On the plus side it is 8 seconds faster than my 5K three weeks ago.

Good enough for 5th overall and another AG but I'm still feeling a little let down.

Great job, Jeff! Runners are a funny lot. What other group of people could earn an award and yet worry about 3 seconds?  I thnk its a very impressive performance and congratulations on the award.

20 miler today that I cut back to 18.  Very hilly course (in fact it was 16 miles of the Flying Monkey Marathon course) and I went too fast for the first 10.  Planned to take it easy, but I didn't know the route so needed to stay in contact with people who did.  My right calf has suddenly started feeling better.  The secret is to not do anything approaching 5K pace and it seems happy.  Plus I did the tennis ball thing (I used my knee, but same idea) and some serious icing.   However, not to be left out, my left calf decided to cramp up today about mile 5.  Stabbing pain most of the rest of the way (but no cramping).  Laying on ice as I type.

Have a great weekend everyone.

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

Dutchie42

Finished the week with a slow 4.6K doggie run with Spikey and Spooky in the rain, wind and cold. After dropping Spike of at home, and a pit stop for me, changing into dry clothes, I left again with Spooky only for another very slow 10 miler in rain, wind and cold. Legs are tired. Not sure why. Still recovering from last week? After about 1h45 my L-butt cheek acted up. Guess it's still not completely over. Last 3 kilometers, the sun came out in full force and the wind suddenly died down. It was a really nice way to finish my run.

Heffa: very nice 5K. So you got another AG, and you were faster, so why do you feel let down?

ETA: OK, the above sentence appears on my screen in a big font. This is not my intent and I can't change it.

Dutchie
        Run the day, or the day runs you.

Jeff: Great 5K time. I'd throw a party if I could break 20 minutes at 5K.

This was a pretty quiet running week for me, lots of office work and high spirited guests in town. After sending the boys home this morning (and sleeping two more hours) I ran my easy 3.2 through the park. Sunny and very cool. Lovely. Legs feel fresh again.

A

Recalculating...

ETA: OK, the above sentence appears on my screen in a big font. This is not my intent and I can't change it.

It looks normal sized on my screen.

I know I should be happy with my recent results but it's my competitive side coming out.  More competitive with myself than with the other people running.  I never really thought I would be back to this level so early after my injury recovery so all of my results should feel like a victory, but my lack of PR's this year is starting to wear on me.  The concept of what makes running enjoyable has come up in this forum and I must say the thing that makes it fun for me is running fast and setting PR's.  AG wins are nice and I get some enjoyment out of that but I'm really out there racing against myself and 3 seconds may not seem like much but the bottom line is that I failed to PR and that was the race I really wanted to win.

Dog-Love

It is a cold a crisp day in Juneau and I am going to run for about an hour.  I have really been busy at work but I need to get rid of that excucse.  A friend of mine dies while running in Minniapolis (fell off an overpass while thinking he was jumping over a guard rain onto a path...weird) and I am think ing it is time to spend time with running and my dog and my family some more.

Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)

Imminent Catastrophe

Wow, how tragic! 

Easy 5.7 flat miles in Tampa today. Then ran some stairs to make up for it. 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Dog-Love

I ran about 6 miles and saw a doe in the river and talked to some nice folks on the trail  Love Sunday runs

Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
                  HappyFeat

Crabby - that is an incredibly sad and shocking way for your friend to die!

MTA as in "meant to say"   I'm so sorry for your loss, Crabby. 

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

theyapper

On the road again...

It is a cold a crisp day in Juneau and I am going to run for about an hour.  I have really been busy at work but I need to get rid of that excucse.  A friend of mine dies while running in Minniapolis (fell off an overpass while thinking he was jumping over a guard rain onto a path...weird) and I am think ing it is time to spend time with running and my dog and my family some more.

I looked it up to read more about this - what a tragedy!  It hurt me just to read about it.  So sorry for your loss.

http://www.juneauempire.com/stories/101410/loc_720410534.shtml

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

HappyFeat

Thanks for the link to the news story. I was going to look it up too. So very very sad.

You just never know what your future holds...make every moment count.

Dog-Love

I was going to post that but I just can't stop thinking about him and I just vented a bit.  Mostly I think about a guy who loved the outdoors...loved to run trails here in Juneau.... and loved his new baby along with his older daughter and wife.  Who would have thunk he would have that strange accident.

Thanks for your thoughts.  He had a gigantic memorial here last Sat.

theyapper

On the road again...

This will be the week for me!! Should cross the 1243 line during my pace run on Friday.  In unrelated news, I have finally caught the pace bunny in the 1500 mile group.  Hopefully I can stay ahead of him.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

HappyFeat

This will be the week for me!! Should cross the 1243 line during my pace run on Friday.  In unrelated news, I have finally caught the pace bunny in the 1500 mile group.  Hopefully I can stay ahead of him.

Congratulations! 

I'm feeling extremely low energy this week, even though I wasn't sore from last Saturday's 14-miler. So I've decided to break away from my self-designed mileage program for the week. I took Sunday and Monday off, ran 5 last night, will only run 5 tonight instead of my planned 8 - just not up for it, would rather crawl into bed! Probably run 4 tomorrow night and then pick back up with Saturday morning's planned 10-miler. 

I suspect a lot of my energy loss is due to being in a couple very high stress situations right now, but some could be from my recent mileage build-up - so a Rest Week it is.

Imminent Catastrophe

MTA: How worrisome about Geogia's mystery illness. Glad you have a veterinary neurologist to evaluate her, PerfesserR. Hope she starts to improve soon. Sending doggie ((((hugs))))  and healing thoughts her way.

So, after a lot of very expensive tests, including an MRI and spinal tap, they still haven't discovered any physical cause of Georgia's symptoms. No tumor, inflammation or infection. I can't believe I'm spending this much on a dog, but I don't regret it. The vet neurologist did a thorough examination and she's definitely not right, having very abnormal reactions to stimuli, but they can't pinpoint the cause, we're thinking it's got to be an inner ear infection or central nervous system problem. Anyway she's eating and drinking (with difficulty swallowing) so she's stable. And had a good walk with us today.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016