2000Km-1243 mile club

Weekly check-in: 12-18 April (Read 476 times)

Getting ready to run the race course this morning - nice and slow

Dutchie: Hey, take it easy! Anyways, I try to lift my knees, chest and chin while running uphill. I try to imagine I'm jogging upstairs. Otherwise I don't really exaggerate my stride - every time I see myself in a passing window I barely look like I'm running...

Kelly: Lots of us are battling the last 10 or 20 lbs. I can't get into the 130s for more than a day, let alone stay there for a running season. Frankly, running makes me hungry. So do stress and lack of sleep!

I think you have made lots of mileage progress - which is something to be proud of. Someone on another thread just said A dog can't chase two cats at once Please take care.

Have fun Jeff!

Be nice to those butts out there... A

Recalculating...

Just a dude.

Thanks for the encouragement...

Heffa, I drove from basically Reno to Las Vegas, watched 2 of my daughters in their state band competition, picked one of them up, and brought her back home near Reno so she could participate in a Speech and Debate competition...

Had my daughter not had to be back, I'm not sure I would have even driven down... But... you know.. the things we do for kids... 

As for the last 20 or so lbs... I lost the first 60 pretty easy... but I've just been starving all the time... so I am trying to increase my intake enough to have enough energy but not so much I don't lose weight... Having a rough time finding that balance...

15+ long run today with good hills... Put that on top of hill repeats yesterday and I am bushed... Gonna be an easy easy day tomorrow...

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

Imminent Catastrophe

I ran the Chickamauga Chase 15k today (better known as Chick Chase), it's the fifth one I've done I think. It's a beautiful and well-organized run through Chickamauga National Military Park, where a pivotal battle was fought in the U. S. Civil War in September 1863. The numerous statues, cannon, stacks of cannonballs, plaques and monuments commemorate the battle and with the quiet and isolation give the park a sense of history and reverence. Major awards (which I will never get) are beautiful reproduction Civil War-era swords. There's also a Marathon/HM in November and I occasionally drive the 90 minutes to the Park for a long training run, because it's shaded, pretty and there's water and restrooms at the visitor center. Anyway, I really like this race. DW ran the 5k (she won her age group!) and she and Daisy met me near the finish. I treated this as a moderately hard tempo run and it was a nice one.

MTA: Kelly, did you say you lost the first 60 lbs easily? Whoa, very impressive. 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Thanks for the well wishes everybody.  We are having a great time here in Boston so far.  It has been go, go, go since we got here.  We have gotten our moneys worth out of the week long subway pass already.  The Museum of Fine Art is spectacular!  You could spend a week in there.  Had a delicious meal at Orinoco Latin Kitchen.

The Expo was HUGE!  Got my celebration jacket and of course my packet (bib #8549).  And enough free hand outs to fill my whole drop bag.  Bought some cold weather gear since the weather has turned since we got here and I didn't bring my gear for blizzard conditions.

Tried on a pair of the new VFF's, it's the first VFF's that I have tried and I am not a fan.  I guess I'll be sticking to actual barefooting.

Tomorrow is going to have to be a day of rest.  My legs are tired from all the exploring we have been doing.

Just a dude.

MTA: Kelly, did you say you lost the first 60 lbs easily? Whoa, very impressive. 

Yeah... Mid November I was 262... My pants didn't fit, I felt bad, and I just was way out of shape.

I started walking and drastically changed my diet.

In late December, my walking turned into running...  Now I am bouncing around 199-200... Pants are 4-6" smaller in the waist... But I've been stuck here for almost a month... I know... that doesn't sound so bad... but most weeks I've lost 2 lbs...

I just want to lose 2lbs, 2 seconds a mile, and gain 2 miles a week every week... Is that too much to ask???  

When I got out of college I was 155... I doubt I will get there again... but I think 175 or so is a good goal... I'll let you know when I get there...

That 15k sounds like a wonderful race...  We don't have that kind of history on this part of the US.  For us, maybe it's a bar in town that was opened in 1890 or something like that... Tho, now that I think about it... we do have an old fort probably 50 miles away that once held civil war era troops... But now its rock walls on a desert hill... Definitely not the kind of place that fills one with reverence... Mostly the kind of place that makes ya wanna get back in the air conditioned car... 

-Kelly

Dutchie42

A little over 10miles today as a long run. Hip/butt was the same as yesterday: pretty painful at first, but as my legs/hip warmed up, it turned into "very noticeable". 

Gorgeous Spring day. Nice 15C, but the chilly wind made it feel colder. Warm enough though for me to hide my jacket and pick it up again on the way back.

Lot's of stretching to do today

Have a great Sunday and a most excellent run.

Dutchie
              Run the day, or the day runs you.

The Plodder

Enjoy tomorrow Heffa - hopefully gonna remember to try and take notice ofthe race tomorrow.

Had a couple of milestones this week - longest ever run = 15 miles, which contirbuted to my highest mileage week = 35.1 miles.

Felt very weak after finishing that long (for me) run on Friday, and questioning whether i am wise to plan for 26.2 next year - but i still still remember stopping and gasping continually through my first 2-miler.

As I have heard people say before - if it was easy there would be no satisfaction - so will keep plugging away.

Dog-Love

I am resting today and doing a bit of stretching.  Ran 12 miles yesterday sort of slow but very pleasant.  Was pretty tired the rest of the day though.  Even took a nap.  I think I will do a similar run  next week and see if it doesn't zap my energy fort he whole day.

Good to here the butt is only "noticible" Dutchie and hope your air has been celar despite volcanic eruptions.

Kelly:  you have been losing so fast that it would be unusual not to plateau and then gear up for the next loss.  I am trying to lose 10 pounds and it has just been impossible. 

Will be thinking of all those Boston runners tomorrow

Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)

Ran race route yesterday - very proud of myself for running through wet snow and wind (I'm a complete weather wimp). I did it as a 10:1 run/ walk - the run segments ranges mostly between 11-12m/m  (various wardrobe adjustments - I need a new water belt) Food report: I had eggs, fishcakes and baked beans for brunch (this seems to be Atlantic canada specialty) plus mimosa -  awesome!

Recovery run today done and weight training tomorrow. On target for 110 miles this month. Next week's goals are 30 miles and tempo 5 miles at race pace.

Making chicken stock and window shopping on the web ... Ahh sunday afternoon

Recalculating...

Dutchie42

Ayola: Spring didn't reach your parts yet?

Dutchie

Just a dude.

Well, I promised photos of our desert, and I finally got some taken...

You can see my whole run here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/kellyedodge/Run4182010HorseTrail#

Here is a sample:

Easy 3.2 miles today... Actually felt better than expected after yesterday...

-Kelly

Dutchie42

Wow Kelly, that looks beautiful! You get to run there all the time? I wouldn't be running, just enjoying the view

Dutchie

The Plodder

+1

For me that scenary would cause some injuries - as I would be too busy looking around me, rather than looking where i was going.

Look at those mountains!

Spring came (15ºC on Easter) and left - still snowing this morning.

Recalculating...

See Jeff's final results below.

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013