2000Km-1243 mile club

Weekly Check In Sept 7 - 13 (Read 328 times)

Imminent Catastrophe

Thanks everyone. I drove the route today--spectacular! The last 10 miles are like running through Zion National Park. I also learned the mileage signs count DOWN from 26. Nice to know.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Trey - I don't run in Newport News very often so I'm a little limited.  The one place that I am familiar with is the Sandy Bottom Nature Park.  They have about 5 miles of single track trails that I ran this summer.  It's a pretty nice place with plenty of parking and bathrooms.  The road in front of the park (Hampton Roads Center Parkway) has a very nice bike/walk trail for a little over a mile as well.  So between the two of them there is a good 7 miles of running there.

I have also run the "trails" behind the Mariners Musuem.  A lot of searches for running in the area will turn up this option.  I found them to be mostly lightly traveled residential roads that are designated as walking/biking areas and I wasn't very impressed.  There are a couple of areas with nice views of the James River though.

One other thought is the Colonial Parkway in up in Williamsburg.  I rode my bike on it a couple of times.  It's basically just a road but the speed limit is relatively low and the road is rather wide.  It's a very scenic area.

When are you going to be in town?  I'd love to get a run in with you.

...---...

When are you going to be in town?  I'd love to get a run in with you.

I'm here now - got in yesterday. The hours I'm keeping with our project is a little funny but I'll be here through Thursday.  I think I'll hit the Mariners museum park today and save the better stuff for later (maybe Sunday, who knows). 

Yeah - shoot me a message if you can run this week. That would be awesome. 

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Imminent Catastrophe

Little Grand Canyon Marathon--a beautiful course, I didn't run as well as I'd hoped. 3:56:45. I was hoping to do 3:45 , as hard as I've been training, but it didn't work out. Also strained my left ankle, almost dropped at mile 20. Ouch. Anyway, I can't complain about a sub-4 marathon I guess.

Hopefully this ankle will recover quickly, it hurts like hell to walk now. 

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

...---...

Russ - sub 4 is awesome but I know what you mean. You've trained like a dog this summer. Take care of the ankle.

I did around an easy 6 at the Mariner's Museum trail in Newport News. Hoping to catch up with Heffa at Sandy Bottom this week. 

Hope everyone is having a good weekend.

Trey

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Imminent Catastrophe

I spent the day getting home today. The strain (on the outside of my left foot) is still quite painful, apparently I did some damage to a tendon and I'll be out of commission for a week at least. And limping through the airport to make your flight is not fun.

It could be worse--I was enjoying a post-race meal and ran into a guy who had twisted his ankle badly in the 10-k event, went to the emergency room, and will be on crutches for 6 weeks. 

Dog-Love

That's a bummer Russ...hope a week will do the trick.  Never a bad thing to kick back a bit.  You have been working really hard

I just finished my favorite annual race (RR for Klondike Relay) and just got home to kids needing help with homework to really wanting a nap.

I know I could and should have trained better, but I had a great race and felt good enough to dance at the post race party.  When we drove home from whitehorse I was sort of blown away at how hilly the course really is and I am happy with my time.  Next year I am supposed to run the 14.5 mile leg 5 that starts at 2:00 am and hopefully finishes by 4:30 am.  Can't wait.

I realize I don't really train that hard since my llegs are really sore today.  AS I say every year...next year I will train harder.

Have a great week next week

Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)

Imminent Catastrophe

Well,I can't complain about the scenery. This is the last portion of the race:

You just can't ask for more. I'm working on my RR.

...---...

Crabby - well done. Really. I thought your times were pretty darn good. Rest well. It was weird reading about the Fall colors in the Yukon...already.

Russ - man! I'm so sorry about your ankle. The photo is INCREDIBLE, however. 

Hope both of you recovery quickly. 

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Dog-Love

Russ...that is beautiful!  I will try to post some pictures this afternoon.  I love seing where folks are running
                      Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
                        Great runs, both of you.  Congratulations.

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

...---...

6.5 - 6.7 miles this morning around the Sandy Bottom Nature Park trails in Hampton Virginia (went to get the lay of the land before meeting up with Heffa on Tuesday for a run). Right hammy is tight and took a while to get loose but eventually everything did and had a nice run.  I'm sure my right hammy will be tight tomorrow - I'm already setting up excuses for why I won't be able to keep up with Jeff, who is a speed demon, by the way. 

Cheers - Trey

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Imminent Catastrophe

Hey, I just checked the results. I placed 14/95! I feel a lot better now! Also, the guy I sat with on the bus was hoping to BQ and missed it by 12 seconds. Ouch!  I'd rather miss by a long way.